My Crashmann Pack Build

FIVE

Nol, I say align the toolbox so it looks symmetric and looks better overall. B)

But I would discourage using the cardboard box because what if it rains? I would think it would get damped and get out of shape ya?

Yes I do troop in the rain before. Something I never experienced on Tatooine before. Must be global warming. :blink:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing. If that box gets wet, it may warp. You could try sealing it with a matte finish clear spray sealer. I think Krylon makes it and they sell it in most of the craft stores. My wife uses it to seal ceramics and pottery that will be used outdoors. It works pretty good.

Yeah. I don't troop in the rain. I live in New Mexico. It's never rained on a troop that I remember. But, even if it did, I don't think the box would warp... and, if it DID it'd be okay... I'd make another one. :)

It's a thick glossy cardboard though... not just "cardboard."

Plus now it's primed and painted so it's even thicker.

Anyway... here it is attached...

Posted Image

You can see how the profile is just perfect.

Posted Image

I also did move the screws from the center of my trays to the ends. It allows the trays to "pivot" outward in the middle better...

Posted Image

And finally, here's the pack all "set" together.

Not glued or attached... tape around the blue bottom trays... etc. But you can see it "together."

Posted Image

Sorry for the junky pictures... it's dark and I only have 2 little lights in my shed. B)

One more thing... I'm actually thinking of painting my radio black. I would do it really "badly" over the decals though so you could TELL it had been painted when you saw it close up.

I'm just not sure... thoughts on that?

Do you like it off-color?

Should it be black on screen-accurate 100%?

Just FYI it's not nearly as "off color" in person as it looks in the pics.

I actually mounted it to the frame first. You're right, a lot of guys — ROLF even! — have theirs on the frame. It works and looks great on there! I mean If Rolf does it it's pretty darn good. But, after confabbing with Crashmann and MH I didn't know which I'd prefer... so I went to the screengrabs and felt like, by the looks of this picture... the tube was more on the trays than the frame.

Posted Image

Of course this also shows it's connected at the "ends" of the trays... and I did mine more in the "middle." But it seems to look good as is so I may not change it right away. B)

It's extra strips of plastic that come with the crashmann kit. Some guys use metal, some ABS, just whatever you can rivet to the frame works. I started with 1 strip per seedtray... but they have 2 each now. Much sturdier.

Thanks! :D

Thanks bro :D

The "problem" is that the screen accurate vintage boy scout frame, is wider then the SB/MH/Charlie trays.

So if i add the tube to the trays, then i can´t add the boy scout frame...

But you have used the home made pvc frame, so you can make it as wide as you like so it fit.

Only one problem, because i did it the same way on my first pack made.

If you add the tube to the trays, it looks good.

But wearing it, it falls too much in on the side where its add, and it can be hard to see it looking at it.

If you look at my pack, you can see my tube is longer out on the side, just like the screen used ones.

I like the fact to add the tube to the trays, but it can look a bit wrong if it fall in too much, and you can see the tube good.

A few pics:

Posted Image

My pack:

Posted Image

ANH:

Posted Image

Maybe you can take off the tube again, and add it to the frame.

If not it still looks great bro, you have done a top cool pack no matter how to adding the tube.

Peace out bro :)

Yes... I see that.

Yeah, it may go back on the frame. :D haha

If so I'll have to patch the holes in the trays. No problems there though. B)

Thanks for the info as always Rolf!

Yes... I see that.

Yeah, it may go back on the frame. :D haha

If so I'll have to patch the holes in the trays. No problems there though. B)

Thanks for the info as always Rolf!

You got it bro, love to help out ;)

Maybe check out (even i guess you have all ready):

http://gallery.mac.com/mikeharrison#100129&bgcolor=black&view=grid

• 2 weeks later...

More done!

I moved the side-tube back to the frame. So I had to patch the holes I had drilled in the bottom seed trays. No biggie.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I sanded down my top wet-wipes container and left the sanded paint rough then painted it again. It gives it a weathered look and makes it look like it's painted metal that has rust or something on it.

Posted Image

Here's how I attached the bottom bee stinger.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I decided to paint my radio black, but I didn't want the dial black, and I painted it really lightly over the decals so you can still see them. It turned out awesome! Now you can tell it's uber-accurate, but it's black and matches the rest of my pack.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got my "shells" glued on, then I drilled holes and riveted them on as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here you can see the rivets inside the "shells."

Posted Image

Almost done! You can see how much better my radio looks now that it's black like the rest of the pack.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks freaking cool!!!

A big congrats from here bro :)

The radio rocks, and as said cool you can still see the letters on the now accurate black radio.

Only two things i would chance if it was me.

1. The bee stinger string, under the faucet are too long vs. ANH, so i would cut it shorter.

2. I would get me a UK siphon:

http://www.partridges.uk.com/catalog/do-it-yourself-plumbing-toilet-spares-contract-dudley-high-flow-round-cistern-syphon-9-5in-p-71.html

Thanks guys! This has been a fun build for sure. I'm excited to finish it up for next weekend's troop. B)

Rolf: yes, I'm going to cut the stinger a bit shorter. But I like the siphon I have better than the UK ones. The hamburger stackers and dome and all look more like the screen grabs to me than the "all in one" molded piece. At least until I see different screen grabs. :P That's always something I can change anyway.

I'm very happy with this pack for sure!

So glad you all dig the radio... it has to be one of my favorite parts!

Thanks guys! This has been a fun build for sure. I'm excited to finish it up for next weekend's troop. B)

Rolf: yes, I'm going to cut the stinger a bit shorter. But I like the siphon I have better than the UK ones. The hamburger stackers and dome and all look more like the screen grabs to me than the "all in one" molded piece. At least until I see different screen grabs. :P That's always something I can change anyway.

I'm very happy with this pack for sure!

So glad you all dig the radio... it has to be one of my favorite parts!

Roger that bro :)

The bee stinger is quickly done.

Your siphon are cool, i also did a few packs whit the vintage burger stackers add on etc.

Roger that bro :)

The bee stinger is quickly done.

Your siphon are cool, i also did a few packs whit the vintage burger stackers add on etc.

Thanks man! B)

I may be the "DL" but your (all of your) opinions matter to me! We're brothers in the same sand pit!!!

Once done, don't forget to post a request for deployment thread at the Deployment forum and Zac will assess your gear. *grins*

You are not far from the truth here brother... B)

GREAT!!

Thats an awesome pack boss!

Like it a lot!

Thanks brother! B)

Could you post a picture of how you placed your straps?

Im re thinking on how to improve mine...

Your wish is my "should've already done that sorry... here ya go..." ;)

Straps cut to length, wrapped around once and glued with E-6000. Like Crashmann points out how to do here. I cut the straps so it's pretty "tight" to put on. But not too tight. I can easily slip it on (and sort of easily off) with my armor on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And, any chance for all-suited up pictures soon?

:)

Saludos!

It's snowing here now, so hopefully I'll get pics tomorrow at free comic book day... and if not, yes... soon! :duim: