My Crashmann Pack Build

FIVE

Here ya go guys!

A few first pictures of my Crashmann pack build! It's going great so far!!

Posted Image

A few pieces laid out... including the Sonix Victory replica.

Posted Image

One of the bottom seed trays. You can tell it's a bottom one because 1) it's blue now... and 2) it has 5 lines instead of 3. This is painted with "Rust-Oleum Lake Blue" spray paint... which I had to buy online. And it looks really blue in this photo.

Posted Image

The completed frame hanging after being painted.

Posted Image

The syphon and wet-wipes containers. This shows the color blue more accurately than the seed tray pic above.

More soon!

(as promised... here's more...)

I threaded a nylon thread through the hole in the sidetube and out the end...

Posted Image

...then I tied the thread to the screw, with washer attached, and pulled it down through the tube to the hole.

Posted Image

Sidetube attached!

Posted Image

Detail of sidetube attachment.

Posted Image

For the bottom of the syphon I actually cut a hole that was just the size of the top of the "ridged" piece... then I force it in... literally "snapping" it in place.

Posted Image

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My replica SONIX VICTORY attached.

Posted Image

I used the hinges off an old humidor to attach the SONIX VICTORY radio to the back plate... which was, in turn, attached to the blue seed tray. Worked great! I'll add a latch and then will be able to get into it if I need to.

Posted Image

Getting there!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I already added a 2nd "support" bar across the back of the frame for both the top and bottom tray.

It was just wobbling too much.

Tip: do that BEFORE you fasten the trays to the first support bar. ;)

Got a lot done yesterday though, and will have more pictures soon!

• 2 weeks later...

First two posts updated with more pics!

And yes... I realize I have to remove the radio and bottom screw on the "stacker" to put the electrical tape on. B)

Thanks man!

Here's a question for you all.

Look at this picture...

Posted Image

Is it better to have the tool box like it is... so that it's where the red line is marked?

Or is it better to move it over so that it's where the green line is marked?

IF I move it over the blue line will no longer be where the top of the middle wet-wipes tube is... but it will have to be moved "up" some to fit it.

Or, do I need a "skinnier" toolbox?

Posted Image

I agree... I think I'm going to try and make it smaller / find a smaller one. :)

(ah the rigors of perfection)

Thanks for the encouragement / compliments though! B)

It is looking really cool. And yes, I would go for a slightly smaller toolbox.

Just one thing there: I still think that radio looks very bad. And very wrong of course. So I would remove it inmediatly. And pls dont throw it to the garbage, we dont want someone accidentally seeing it and feel ofended... so, just send it to me and I will dispose it properly. hehe ;)

A question: How are you planing to make the ammo shells on the side? tubbing, empty shotgun shells, other??? I am thinking of re-doing mine including the triangular base to them.

Good job bro.

Saludos.

Thanks for the advice... but I have to keep the radio. :D hahaha

The shells are small PVC pieces that came with the crashmann kit.

There is a screen to put in the ends of them.

Okay. I thought about cutting a section out of the toolbox that came with the kit along the diagonal line that the electrical tape covers, but then thought I'd look around the house for another usable box.

The VERY FIRST box I found was this greeting card box.

It's very thick / sturdy cardboard. And is THE PERFECT size!!!

Posted Image

It is now painted black and drying. :)

I will post more pictures later.

So happy.

... cause you are keeping the "American Impressionists" image, right???

You bet! Of course I'll draw mustaches on all the ladies to make it more screen crazy.

Hey Noel, it looks like your mortar tube is mounted directly to the trays and not to the PVC frame. I have seen it mounted both ways. Which way is better? Is one way more screen accurate than the other?

Also, what is the material you are using between the frame that the trays are mounted to. It looks like ABS strips.

Pack is looking STELLAR!

Hey Noel, it looks like your mortar tube is mounted directly to the trays and not to the PVC frame. I have seen it mounted both ways. Which way is better? Is one way more screen accurate than the other?

I actually mounted it to the frame first. You're right, a lot of guys — ROLF even! — have theirs on the frame. It works and looks great on there! I mean If Rolf does it it's pretty darn good. But, after confabbing with Crashmann and MH I didn't know which I'd prefer... so I went to the screengrabs and felt like, by the looks of this picture... the tube was more on the trays than the frame.

Posted Image

Of course this also shows it's connected at the "ends" of the trays... and I did mine more in the "middle." But it seems to look good as is so I may not change it right away. B)

Also, what is the material you are using between the frame that the trays are mounted to. It looks like ABS strips.

It's extra strips of plastic that come with the crashmann kit. Some guys use metal, some ABS, just whatever you can rivet to the frame works. I started with 1 strip per seedtray... but they have 2 each now. Much sturdier.

Pack is looking STELLAR!

Thanks! :D