Rom-fx sound system...

Rolf

Hi bro´s of sand, here you see my Rom-FX sound board:

Posted Image

http://www.yourmovecreep.co.uk/romfx/index.htm

I´m no pro using this.

So i got a few questions:

1. I don´t like the mic, what do you use.

Do you have a link, where we can buy a good nice working head set, there fit to the Rom-Fx thing here.

2. I like to troop around to events, and scare people off whit it.

But i have also seen/heard about people, got a sound board just keeps running whit Mos Eisley come in... messages.

Like TD... where are you... trouble in Mos Eisley cantina.. tttTTzzhh come in etc.

Do you know where to down load that, sandtrooper a like cop radio talk.

And how to install it to your/mine Rom-Fx here, because i don´t.

3. I have add the Rom-Fx two ways.

Mostly in a plastic bag, behind my chest.

And sometimes in my shoulder pouch.

But i think i will have sew a thick strong canvas pouch, whit 3 room in to add the Rom-Fx in.

And add it whit e.g elastic strap, and velcro behind the chest.

What do you do/think.

Troop on ;)

Personally I find it best when the sounds comes out of the aerator speakers, and do have a garrison mate with it 100% self contained in his TE2 helmet (though he has a small head).

An easier option is to borrow and idea from Stukatrooper - check it out on FISD:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=10152

Posted Image

For the TD loop, it's posted here in the 501st only area. Not sure how other people do it, but most everyone in my garrison is putting this on a cheap mp3 player and using their radio on their pack.

I'm the same mate. I find that when the mic is right upto your mouth it is great, however as soon as the mic is positioned in the helmet or even very slightly away from the mouth, the mic can't pick up any voice. Therefore I was thinking about some sort of boom mic head set. I even considered using my XBOX headset (would just need to buy a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack convertor) and then see how this works.

Cheers,

Smally.

Hey bro...

Here you go, sandtrooper radio loop...

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5867

How it works for me is connecting my iPod set on loop playing this track to a small amp inside my radio box. That way it seems that it is an actual working radio. So far ppl notices and have a great reaction. They sometimes think a cop or police car is around, and then realize it is in English and coming out from me and really get surprised.

My voice amp is stuck inside my chest plate, with a cable running under my neckseal and into the bucket, connected to a mic. I would love to have the sound comming right out from the hovis, but then they would not bee that accurate. And the hovis I have with an amp installed inside, do not sound as loud or clear as my chest amp.

Thats how it works from me... anyway.

Saludos.

I'm using a VERY simple setup. Throat-mic, with push-to-talk, and an amplifier.

Basically, the speaker with amp is from an PA system commonly used by guides, so it's loud enough. The throat-mic helps with making it easier to take the helmet on/off. Now the key is the PTT button. Whenever I press it to talk, you hear a distinct click in the speaker. Likewise when I let go of it after speaking. So I have no need for costly FX-cards... ;)

Actually, it sounds so good, that alot of other garrison members have started using the same setup!

I'm using a VERY simple setup. Throat-mic, with push-to-talk, and an amplifier.

Basically, the speaker with amp is from an PA system commonly used by guides, so it's loud enough. The throat-mic helps with making it easier to take the helmet on/off. Nut the key is the PTT button. Whenever I press it to talk, you hear a distinct click in the speaker. Likewise when I let go of it after speaking. So I have no need for costly FX-cards... ;)

Actually, it sounds so good, that alot of other garrison members have started using the same setup!

Sounds sweet.

Do you have a where to buy link, and if you got time a few pictures of the set up.

I´m a little bit tired of the Rom-Fx, to many wires, battery, bad mic, heavy speaker etc...

So i´m open for new sound systems.

Cheers :)

I haven’t posted for far too long, but hopefully that’s all gonna change from now on. :)

I used to have my ROM set up with LaunchPads speakers in my Hovis and a fixed stem Mic and it was all nicely contained in my lid.

Which was OK for inside and non crowded environments but just not loud enough when I was outside or getting busy amongst Joe Public

at conventions and such.

I really didn’t want to put a speaker on my belt and I definitely didn’t want to have a million and one wires running from my helmet to my

armour so that the simple act of taking my lid off didn’t turn in to something resembling a SWAT team member trying to defuse a bomb

(red or green?,… red or green?,… red or green?,… :unsure: )

So I came up with this B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its really simple. I’ve placed everything is in my chest and its all fixed with Velcro so I can pull it in and out for transit so it doesn’t get damaged.

I’ve put the ROM in a little pouch I made and push fit an old laptop ‘plug-in’ speaker that I beefed up with some trusty ol’ Nokia internals which

makes it nice and loud. The power comes from a rechargeable 9V that gives me roughly 6-7 hours but I always change it out when we stop for

lunch or a ‘Lids off’ break. Now we come to the Mic. Which is absolutely brilliant. Its a wire frame, light weight head set as used by fitness trainers.

The pick up is fantastic and crystal clear and this Bad Boy sits nice and neat under a balaclava as if you wasn’t wearing it. I must have tried at least

5 or 6 different types of Mics and this one is by far the best I’ve ever used. And I’m not the only one who thinks so because there must be at least

20 others guys in the UKG who are now using them.

I’m still playing around with going over to 12V and I have a few ideas to keep it nice and neat whilst keeping it as simple as possible

I hope this helps or at least gives a few ideas of at least one way to skin a cat :D

:)

Good to see you back here Billy :)

Nice set up, i might try to copy it...

Do you have any links, for copying your set up :P

Thanks for all your great replys/ideas.

Keep em coming troopers :D

Hey bro...

Here you go, sandtrooper radio loop...

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5867

How it works for me is connecting my iPod set on loop playing this track to a small amp inside my radio box. That way it seems that it is an actual working radio. So far ppl notices and have a great reaction. They sometimes think a cop or police car is around, and then realize it is in English and coming out from me and really get surprised.

My voice amp is stuck inside my chest plate, with a cable running under my neckseal and into the bucket, connected to a mic. I would love to have the sound comming right out from the hovis, but then they would not bee that accurate. And the hovis I have with an amp installed inside, do not sound as loud or clear as my chest amp.

Thats how it works from me... anyway.

Saludos.

I just did the same bro...

And WWwuuhhhuu it sure gives a lot to the suit, as you say i really give the right sandtrooper cop/army a like feeling.

And the radio, just keep on going whit those great sandtrooper conversions.

Love it!!! :peace:

I sell the aker voice amps refereed to in some of these postings. The vocie amps are small enough to fit inside armor with out modification, they are really loud 10-12 watts, they are really clear, they come with a good wired mic, and the have built in rechargeable batteries. As a bonus there are two input ports, one for a mic and one for a mp3 player. Both will work at the same time! The guy that made the sound loops (Daniel) also uses my amps.

You said you are tired of cords. Check out my memorex wireless headset mics. They will let you hard wire everything and then eliminate the cord that runs from your bucket to your armor. It makes it much easier to take off put on your bucket.

I also make and sell the the Push to Talk (PTT) Cables. They do give a single click after talking. However, you don't need a static click after talking if you have a romFX. But you might like being able to control when you can be heard or not.

I also suggest that you replace your battery system with an enclosed box with rechargeable lithium batteries. I use trustfire 3.7volt AA. You can typically replace a 9 volt with three trustfire batteries. I place a link below. Then you need an enclosed box (See ebay link). There was a brother recently who was severely burned by battery acid that leaked out onto his back.

If you have any questions o nmy gear or the other stuff just PM or email me (FamilyJim72@yahoo.com).

Aker voice amps and wirelesss headset mics:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5790&st=0&p=69821&fromsearch=1entry69821

Push to talk cables:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=6112&st=0&p=73609&fromsearch=1entry73609

Trustfire Batteries:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19626

battery enclosures:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-case-box-holder-with-switch-3-x-AA-cells-4-5V_W0QQitemZ390099534800QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad3be83d0

I bought my throat-mic here: http://www.firefoxtechnologies.com/product/FF-C/Commando-Edition-Throat-Mic.html

Any PA-system that uses a speaker with built-in amp will do just fine. I needed an extra plug, because the mic uses a mini-jack, while my speaker uses standard 3.5 jack.

I'll try to take pictures of it, but right now I'm in the process of trying to fit the speaker in the shoulder-pouch.

I bought my throat-mic here: http://www.firefoxtechnologies.com/product/FF-C/Commando-Edition-Throat-Mic.html

Any PA-system that uses a speaker with built-in amp will do just fine. I needed an extra plug, because the mic uses a mini-jack, while my speaker uses standard 3.5 jack.

I'll try to take pictures of it, but right now I'm in the process of trying to fit the speaker in the shoulder-pouch.

Thanks for your reply Ole J.

I will look into your option too.

Cheers bro :)

Just out of curiousity, but why does it say Deployed underneath my avatar? Last time I checked, I wasn't deployed... ;)

I'm playing and working on stuff still... quit noticing everything! Geez. :P

• 2 months later...

Now we got the sandtrooper radion talk, are there any body out there...

There have the stormtrooper talk too, i like to have that one too.

Cheers :)

Are there any FISD pro´s there know, if there are also made a cool stromtrooper mp3 sound take.

Just like the cool sandtrooper sound take for our packs :)

I just use the mic that came in with my Archer amp... But it is not working right most of the times.

I am expecting my new ROM FX to arrive any week now. When I have it I will try to work a set up with my amp and mic to see how it goes. Very excited about it!!!

Saludos.

Thanks for your reply bro.

I got my Rom-Fx around 5 or 10 years ago, but i have just heard they have upgrade there mic.

So i have just send them a mail, to hear if they have upgrade there mic, if so i guess i will try one from them as well :mellow::D