My AM Kit build

Dearmeat

Hey Guys,

I have been working on the new AM Kit and have some questions if you can help. I will be working on the thighs this weekend and want to be sure exactly the way these things need to be cut. This is my first kit build and unsure of my ability. So I want to ask the experts here. On the new AM kits can anyone tell me approx. an average amount that has been trimmed off the thigh. I'm of average build 5'9'' 200 lbs. I have pics of the left thigh being tapped up where it fit comfortable and would like to get some input from you guys on or about how much you think I need to trim. I would rather ask questions and check all my options before I go chopping away on this kit.

Thanks guys!

Keith................

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey Keith,

just posted a lot, and realized it made no sense... so I'm rephrasing:

Here is what I guess you could do:

Make the front cool and nice by trimming the excess plastic to make a strip running down the thigh about 0.85 inch wide. More or less depending on how it fits you. Then glue a plastic trip this wide (0.85) over the gap between the two sides of the thigh. Im guessing your kit came with this plastic strips for all the arms and leg parts...

The do the same to the back, but now try it first to make sure it is the right size for you.

Your pictures show you are already in the right track. So just be carefull and enjoy. There is not exact measurement on how much you should cut off, but of how wide it should be left... but this can or cant fit you, so... its not always the way to go. Just take in consideration that the strips running dow arms, and legs vary from 0.75 to 1 inch...

Maybe this post can help (my own build):

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=...t=0&start=0

And try this too, lots of pictures and info there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30761804@N04/...57607437510456/

Both are TE2 armor, but I guess it will help you understand how TK and TD armor are built...

And just one more very usefull advice: measure twice, three or four times and cut once.

Hope it helps...

Saludos.

Just wanted to post some more pics showing my progress with the kit. I have worked on the chest plate, however I do have a question maybe you guys can help me with. Before I put the cover straps on the top, look at how long they are.

My questions are,

1) Are the cover straps supposed to be that long?

2) Should I cut them to size or center them?

I plan on using velcro to attach them to the plate. I would appreciate any input you guys can give on the build.

Here are some more pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks again,

Keith.........

Has any one had to cut the plastic straps to fit? What I'm worried about is if I do cut them they will be out of place by the way they are molded. But the way they look, they look too long. Any ideas?

Hey Keith...

Well, first of all: Are you building a TK?

Cause if you are planning to build a TD you dont need those straps.

Its not very usual to see those kind of straps over here. HEHEHE...

Anyway if you want to keep them, You dont need to cut them. They look just fine. They are supposed to go from the front to the back and all over the strap and a bit more. If you feel like they dont fit or bend well, you can always use a hair dryer and heat them a bit to make them more flexible, then hold them in place till they take de desired shape.

On the other hand, the correct way to place them should be using canvas straps like valder posted, then just fix the front of the plastic strap to the chest plate with some E6000 or similar and let the back loose or held in place with a plastic loop holding the canvas and plastic strap.

If you are willing to use the plastic strap in TK fashion or just cause you like your TD to have it, I suggest you go to the FISD (whitearmor.net) and check the topics on this over there. Cause over here we actually look for removing those plastic straps in TD fashion. Also, if you are aiming for deployment, you need to get rid of them and just leave the canvas ones.

Either way, we will be glad to keep helping you and answering any doubt you might have.

Keep on the good work!

Saludos

Hey Keith...

Well, first of all: Are you building a TK?

Cause if you are planning to build a TD you dont need those straps.

Its not very usual to see those kind of straps over here. HEHEHE...

Anyway if you want to keep them, You dont need to cut them. They look just fine. They are supposed to go from the front to the back and all over the strap and a bit more. If you feel like they dont fit or bend well, you can always use a hair dryer and heat them a bit to make them more flexible, then hold them in place till they take de desired shape.

On the other hand, the correct way to place them should be using canvas straps like valder posted, then just fix the front of the plastic strap to the chest plate with some E6000 or similar and let the back loose or held in place with a plastic loop holding the canvas and plastic strap.

If you are willing to use the plastic strap in TK fashion or just cause you like your TD to have it, I suggest you go to the FISD (whitearmor.net) and check the topics on this over there. Cause over here we actually look for removing those plastic straps in TD fashion. Also, if you are aiming for deployment, you need to get rid of them and just leave the canvas ones.

Either way, we will be glad to keep helping you and answering any doubt you might have.

Keep on the good work!

Saludos

Yeah, I'm working on a TK for now. I have been reading up on all the forms getting the expert advice and seeing the different opinions trying to get the kit right. I do welcome all the advice I can get from you guys being that this is my first build and unsure of my ability right now. I have decided that after the TK is completed I want to do a Boba Fett kit. I do love the "Sandy" kits, but that is way over my talent right now. Just learning how to crawl before I walk so to say. Again, thanks for all the help on the kit and I will be asking more questions in the near future.

I think that the MEPD is cool as I' a Deputy Sheriff where I live. It's kinda of an alternate image. LOL

Thanks Again,

Keith........