te2 vs fx

Zon

I am SUPER new and am hoping to get some armor. The more I read the more confused I got. One common thing was that everyone said the MEPD was the best place to get answers. I was hoping someone could explain the main differences between the TE2 and FX armor. Help me MEPD, you're my only hope

This is the quick, cheat-sheet on some of the armor specifics that I've gathered over the years. But the devil is in the details, which can quickly derail any thread. There are also many sanctioned recasts being sold under other names.

TE, TE2

This is where original, screen accurate armor and helmets supposedly originated from. However, both Gino and TE have continued for years to claim authenticity. TE has since sold his molds and the new owner is going by the term TE2. This armor historically has been considered the most accurate, but know that it has been modified and has many differences (pro or con) from other similar armor. A few differences are the shoulder bell 'swoops', the flat ab plate, unique left bicept and right arm, but most importantly, it has correct-looking, shin armor unique to each leg. The more common AP armor does not have this. This armor has historically been made in a thin gauge of HIPS plastic, and is not suitable for repeated, long-term trooping. I have two of these kits and they require numerous fixes over time.

Gino

Another armor maker who claims to have the original molds but has not modified them unlike TE. However, his helmets and assembly skills are some of the best, being made from a combination of two original, screen used helmets from ANH. Not as readily available as other options here, but probably one of the best.

AP (aka Authenticprops)

This armor orginated under the GF name, which originated as copies of TE's (or Gino's?) molds. They have since been resold and are now available under the Authenticprops name. It is currently made in .80 ABS plastic and includes everything nessasary to complete assembly. I've assembled a few of these sets and noticed that both arms are the same and the inner right leg is the same as the outer left leg. Because it's also being pulled in ABS, the detail is not as sharp as the pulls from a TE2. Regardless, it's probably the best alternative for those seeking a relatively accurate suit of armor that's durable enough for repeated trooping.

RT-Mod

Fan made armor with a very good likeness to the original ANH style. Made of a heavy gauge .90 ABS. Great alternative to the more typical FX armor.

FX/GT

The most common armor available, all over ebay and resold on numerous web sites. Most anything being sold for around $500 to $600 is a FX kit. Made of .90 ABS plastic, looks good for what it is, which is a fan sculpt but not accurate at all. 90% of all 501st members wear this type of armor. The helmet is notorious for it's over-sized, bobble-head look.

Movie FX

Based in Germany, this is another common armor vender who's name comes up in conversation a lot. In short, if you live in the States - don't even think about it. Almost everyone who's placed an order never got their stuff. The origins of his newest armor and helmet are up for debate.

AA/SDS - Original Maker

Andrew Ainsworth of Shepperton Design Studios, the original fabricator of the Stormtrooper armor seen in the films is offereing helmets and armor claimed to be from the original molds. Many believe his claims to be dubious and evidence suggests such. While his helmets may indeed be from original molds, by his own admission they have been modified since originally used in the 70s. His armor is also most likely a recast of a TE or AP suit. Ironic that the original maker is recasting someone's recast of his stuff. Be aware that he is also facing legal charges and litigation with LFL for selling these unlicensed props.

TM (Troopermaster)

My new hero. A 100% fan sculpt but probably the most accurate armor in the world (for not having been recast from screen-used items). True dedication from this amazingly talented artist has produced some of the nicest armor I've ever seen. A true trooper master in every sense of the word.

I guess everyone was right about you guys knowing whats what! With all these options, which direction would be best for me to go? I figure it's a matter of money, time, and how accurate I want my armor to be. Knowing that this'll be my first armor and I do plan on trooping in it I figure I'd need something that is durable and not through the roof in terms of initial cost. Basically, is there a better armor to start out in?

I guess everyone was right about you guys knowing whats what! With all these options, which direction would be best for me to go? I figure it's a matter of money, time, and how accurate I want my armor to be. Knowing that this'll be my first armor and I do plan on trooping in it I figure I'd need something that is durable and not through the roof in terms of initial cost. Basically, is there a better armor to start out in?

Fill out this form and we can help you out a bit more

How tall are you? _____

What is your weight? ______

What waist size? _____

What is your budget? _____

Seems like you are still on the fence when it comes to your budget. Which is 100% normal.

My best advise is to not rush into something that you will not be happy with in a few months.

If you have the money to spend then the sky the limit but the last thing you want is to buy one set of armor and then realize that you

would rather get more accurate stuff.

Have you been to a troop or seen armor in person? You would be surprised as to how good some of the less expensive armor looks like in real life.

Notice I did not say cheap, because unless you blindly buy on ebay then odds are that you will not go wrong with any of the armor found on any of the 501st boards.

Back in 08 when I started off the 1st place I ended up at was MEPD and these guys here never steered me wrong.

Mike and MiDri already put up some great info and yes it is very important take in to account your height and size

Also keep in mind that the Helmet is a whole different set of questions.

Also do you want to be a Sandtrooper or a Stormtrooper?

Do you want to be deployed or reach elite status?

Like I said take your time look at other peoples armor and then when you know what you want buy..

And welcome

FX is called AM (Armor Master) now and many people really like the new AM armor. Search for it here and at WhiteArmor.net

AM is the new FX, but FX is still FX. People are still selling old FX suits, so lets not get the 2 confused.

AM is the new FX, but FX is still FX. People are still selling old FX suits, so lets not get the 2 confused.

Good point. If someone is selling "FX" armor, it's the older stuff.

AM hadn't been mentioned in this thread, though, and it should be considered by anyone looking to buy armor. Most people who have seen it are really happy with it, as are those who have purchased it.

Good point. If someone is selling "FX" armor, it's the older stuff.

AM hadn't been mentioned in this thread, though, and it should be considered by anyone looking to buy armor. Most people who have seen it are really happy with it, as are those who have purchased it.

Very true. The new AM kit is MUCH better than the old FX too!

Fill out this form and we can help you out a bit more

How tall are you? _____

What is your weight? ______

What waist size? _____

What is your budget? _____

I'm 5'10" 170 with at 32" waist. My budget is as much as my wife will let me get away with. Actually I'm hoping to be up an functioning around $1000. I know that might be difficult. Less would be better. I can always add to it later.

I'm 5'10" 170 with at 32" waist. My budget is as much as my wife will let me get away with. Actually I'm hoping to be up an functioning around $1000. I know that might be difficult. Less would be better. I can always add to it later.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but you are pretty much the size of most of the Stromtroopers in Star Wars.

So lucky you, size will not be an issue at all.

My self I am 6'2" with some of the other troopers being up to 6'5" and I personally know one that is working on his armor that is 6'9".

This creates allot more work to get armor to look up to code.

Your budget is for a TK or TD?

Seems like you are still on the fence when it comes to your budget. Which is 100% normal.

My best advise is to not rush into something that you will not be happy with in a few months.

If you have the money to spend then the sky the limit but the last thing you want is to buy one set of armor and then realize that you

would rather get more accurate stuff.

Have you been to a troop or seen armor in person? You would be surprised as to how good some of the less expensive armor looks like in real life.

Notice I did not say cheap, because unless you blindly buy on ebay then odds are that you will not go wrong with any of the armor found on any of the 501st boards.

Back in 08 when I started off the 1st place I ended up at was MEPD and these guys here never steered me wrong.

Also keep in mind that the Helmet is a whole different set of questions.

Also do you want to be a Sandtrooper or a Stormtrooper?

Do you want to be deployed or reach elite status?

Like I said take your time look at other peoples armor and then when you know what you want buy..

And welcome

Blindly buying something on eBay is exactly what led me here. I first looked at Rubies (yikes!) then I started looking for kits and I quickly realized I needed help.

I have seen armor up close. I actually work at Disneys Hollywood Studios and I always see the 501st backstage during star wars weekends. At first, I don't think I need it to be screen accurate but I also don't want something that strays too far from accurate.

As for Stormtrooper or Sandtrooper at first I just wanted a costume and start trooping, but after seeing what's possible I honestly would have to say Sandtrooper.

What's the difference between deployed and being elite?

Our new Detachment Leader, Noel, also has a great webpage to use as a starting place for all your armor research. Take a look at this link http://td8541.imperial-web.com/armor-101/.

Thanks for the shout out man.

Mike's descriptions up top are right on as well. And yeah, Rob's right, this is the place man!

Other than that I have nothing else to add right now. B)

Blindly buying something on eBay is exactly what led me here. I first looked at Rubies (yikes!) then I started looking for kits and I quickly realized I needed help.

I have seen armor up close. I actually work at Disneys Hollywood Studios and I always see the 501st backstage during star wars weekends. At first, I don't think I need it to be screen accurate but I also don't want something that strays too far from accurate.

As for Stormtrooper or Sandtrooper at first I just wanted a costume and start trooping, but after seeing what's possible I honestly would have to say Sandtrooper.

What's the difference between deployed and being elite?

Elite is the ultimate screen accuracy of ordinary stormtroopers, where as Deployed is the ultimate screen accuracy for sandtroopers.

Good luck in your armor quest!

It should not be difficult at all to get everything you need for $1,000 or less - until you add a big gun and build a backpack, that is.

In general, roughly speaking, approximate ballpark figures:

Armor = $500-600

Helmet = $100-200

Boots = $75

Underarmor and other Miscellaneous Stuff, a couple hundred more.

Elite is the ultimate screen accuracy of ordinary stormtroopers, where as Deployed is the ultimate screen accuracy for sandtroopers.

Good luck in your armor quest!

For misc tools and parts for EIB or Deployed trooper expect to spend upwords of $1800.

For misc tools and parts for EIB or Deployed trooper expect to spend upwords of $1800.

Actually that's a bit high and while certainly it can cost that much it need not to. Prices are falling all the time, and I bet you can go EIB for $1000, even less if you do most of the work yourself.

A sandtrooper is more just because there are more parts to be had, the backpack & BFG being the two largest purchases.

Actually that's a bit high and while certainly it can cost that much it need not to. Prices are falling all the time, and I bet you can go EIB for $1000, even less if you do most of the work yourself.

A sandtrooper is more just because there are more parts to be had, the backpack & BFG being the two largest purchases.

I'm gonna try to do most of the work myself. Still, I'm not the handiest person around. With all the resources here and online tutorials I figure I can stumble through making the backpack and blaster. I'm just worried about messing up with the armor. I know I could probably spend more money to have someone else do it but I'm betting that it'll be more worth it in the end if I do as much of the work as I can. When I say around $1000 I'm talking about the basic armor, body suit, gloves, boots, and the means to attach and wear everything.