My Lewis

The leather strap is the longest 1" belt they sell at Tandy leather 60" I think, dyed dark brown and secured on the butt end with a painted and weathered large self-tapping screw. The wrap around section was secured with a bolt and nut that looked right, I'll get some more detail pics that will show the strap specifically this weekend.

I'll write up a tutorial once I get the rest on the WIP pics from my buddy who made his at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started my Lewis, and I think I'm gonna steal your cooling ring idea there. Very clever. How does the tube attach within the brass couplers? Is the tubing glued all the way around or does it just rest on the barrel? I will update with pics of mine as I get further along.

IanL: I just glued them into the couplers and it rests on the barrel but you could probably use a good contact cement all the way around. I needed about 21ft (if I remember correctly) of the tubing.

I used a dullcote spray on the tubes after attaching them to remove the shine. The dullcoat does have a tendency to rub away on my armor when I troop with it but overall it still looks better than with it all shiny.

Thanks Mike, your praise means a lot, before I got armor and then after too, your site was a massive influence on what I wanted my Sandtrooper to look like. We know when we made this we were just standing on the shoulders of everyone that had made Lewis guns and posted tutorials and had sites like yours.

The biggest achievement on our Lewis guns IMO was using the 3" pvc as the barrel end diameter and using 3" pvc couplers for the wider main barrel circumference. Then using an epoxy putty to create the taper. This does make the gun slightly bigger than a real Lewis but it allows for the same scale of taper to the barrel end. Painting variances with flat black and gun metal add to the look seen on most real Lewis including the one seen in ANH.

There's a nice one at the Udar Hazy Air and Space Museum in Northern Virginia:

Posted Image

Hey all,

I have posted my set of the pics when tk1009 and I built the lewis guns. One warning with our design, when complete, they weigh in at about 30lbs. Just keep that in mind when building yours. You may want to drill some holes in the wood within the barrel to bring down the total weight.

We will be making another, so mine may be up for sale to cover the next build.

Here are my pics from the build.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c400/tk0600/

tk0600