Helmet guts

Dewback Jockey

I'd show mine but it's sparse, really. Lenses and mesh just held in place with blue painters tape if you can believe it. Alas, small kids and no time and it just never gets around to :(

My garrison mate has his whole RomFx plus fans plus AA batter holders 100% self contained in his TE2. It's quite an impressive feat to get it all in there actually, with padding no less.

I orginally posted this in the armour section some months ago but why miss an opportunity to show it off. Especially since hardly anyone ever sees it.

I submit for your approval . . . (or other comments) . . .

After a lot of reading on this forum and some on White Armor, I tried to add as many of the ideas that I could to the interior of my bucket. (It is an AP, so you know it is a little tight in there.)

Posted Image

Dickie's knee pads, via the UK, were cut up for the padding. The ear-pieces are Bosch ear phone replacement pads, via eBay. Each piece, including earpieces, are velcroed in so they can be removed to be cleaned.

Posted Image

I used two small spray-can lids (Elmer's spray adhesive) as caps for the speakers. I drilled holes for the bolt and the wires, shaped them to fit the contours of the bucket and filled them with foam to absorb sound and prevent feedback. I cut self-adhesive weatherstripping to shape to hold down the screen under the frown. I painted the frown grey to highlight it better. The microphone is in the middle.

Posted Image

The lens is held on by a screw in the middle that goes into a rubber "well-nut" that is glued in place. (The idea I saw previously was for the use of a "t-nut". Same idea, but the well-nut is black, rubber, and has a larger surface to glued to the bucket.) There are small tabs of velcro on the corners to keep it from moving. The wiring is a single unit from Shaggy13 (White Armor). Same price as a Skullworx but actually available. GREAT set-up.

Posted Image

The earpieces help keep it sturdy, help hide the nuts and bolts holding it together and help funnel sound to me. I drilled holes through to the earpieces in hopes it would help me hear a little bit. (Furthers the illusion of actual earpieces as well.)

Did I mention it is a tight fit in there?

WOW!!! that's awesome the ear pieces look like a speaker system - is it ? Looks great - well done sir.

Looks like he drilled out the ears so he could hear better, since those surround his ears completely.

That's pretty sharp, a lot of work went in to that bad boy. I used the padding from a T-Ball helmet, using velcro so it can be removed easily for cleaning. It's painted black inside as well and my lenses are held in with some clear RTV silicone. Fans need to be next for sure.

Looks like he drilled out the ears so he could hear better, since those surround his ears completely.

That's pretty sharp, a lot of work went in to that bad boy. I used the padding from a T-Ball helmet, using velcro so it can be removed easily for cleaning. It's painted black inside as well and my lenses are held in with some clear RTV silicone. Fans need to be next for sure.

One thing the fans are good for is keeping the lenses from fogging.

One thing the fans are good for is keeping the lenses from fogging.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Another tip to prevent fogging is to prevent a seal all the way around the lens. My lens is held in by the screw that goes into the rubberized well-nut. That actually holds it away from the eyeholes just a little bit. The velcro tabs on the corner keep it from moving. Because the lens goes past the edge of the eyehole all the way around, you can't tell that it doesn't fit tight. The gap gets you a little more air AND helps keep the lens from fogging. Fans are required too though.

Okay that helmet interior is just freakin awesome! I don't get too involved with mine either though I'd someday like to. I usually make a liner from 1/2" foam padding I snag at the fabric store or something the kids are tossing out, and ad a couple Radio Shack 12 volt fans each run on two 9 volt batteries (18v) with on off switches to keep defogged......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kept mine really easy as well.

Used some knee pads from Blakläder, cut them up and glued them into place. A strip of foam to keep the helmet in proper position from the nose, and to ease the fogging (helps somewhat).

Posted Image

I orginally posted this in the armour section some months ago but why miss an opportunity to show it off. Especially since hardly anyone ever sees it.

After a lot of reading on this forum and some on White Armor, I tried to add as many of the ideas that I could to the interior of my bucket. (It is an AP, so you know it is a little tight in there.)

Posted Image

Dickie's knee pads, via the UK, were cut up for the padding. The ear-pieces are Bosch ear phone replacement pads, via eBay. Each piece, including earpieces, are velcroed in so they can be removed to be cleaned.

Posted Image

I used two small spray-can lids (Elmer's spray adhesive) as caps for the speakers. I drilled holes for the bolt and the wires, shaped them to fit the contours of the bucket and filled them with foam to absorb sound and prevent feedback. I cut self-adhesive weatherstripping to shape to hold down the screen under the frown. I painted the frown grey to highlight it better. The microphone is in the middle.

Posted Image

The lens is held on by a screw in the middle that goes into a rubber "well-nut" that is glued in place. (The idea I saw previously was for the use of a "t-nut". Same idea, but the well-nut is black, rubber, and has a larger surface to glued to the bucket.) There are small tabs of velcro on the corners to keep it from moving. The wiring is a single unit from Shaggy13 (White Armor). Same price as a Skullworx but actually available. GREAT set-up.

Posted Image

The earpieces help keep it sturdy, help hide the nuts and bolts holding it together and help funnel sound to me. I drilled holes through to the earpieces in hopes it would help me hear a little bit. (Furthers the illusion of actual earpieces as well.)

Okay one thing I really dig about this is the rubber seal around the edge - where can I pick one up?

• 1 year later...

Dana, I'm gonna go ahead and send you my helmet. Just feel free to do exactly what you did with yours for mine. :D

LOVE it!

Well if this helps, I padded mine with a Team Wendy protective Gear. If I didn't try in fitting and playing with the padding system 50 times I didn't try none.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

As many, the cooling vents are a big helping hand not only for cooling your face, duhPosted Image, but for anti fogging issues.

Also I added velcro points with a little lever system in attaching the vents to the bucket. Did this just in case one broke

and needed to replace it.

My mic goes around the neck like a special forces soldier. I did this because if I attached it to the bucket then when taking it

off it becomes a wired mess between the bucket and your face.Posted Image

Green lenses are a single piece attached by 3 velcro systems: One per side and one in the middle. That's for and easy lens removal when it comes to wiping out the fog and cleaning it.

And finally special to me, was to sign the finished date inside the helmet before requesting deployment.Posted Image

Hope you like the share!Posted Image

http://imageshack.us/g/802/dsc00234y.jpg/

Well if this helps, I padded mine with a Team Wendy protective Gear. If I didn't try in fitting and playing with the padding system 50 times I didn't try none.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

As many, the cooling vents are a big helping hand not only for cooling your face, duhPosted Image, but for anti fogging issues.

Also I added velcro points with a little lever system in attaching the vents to the bucket. Did this just in case one broke

and needed to replace it.

My mic goes around the neck like a special forces soldier. I did this because if I attached it to the bucket then when taking it

off it becomes a wired mess between the bucket and your face.Posted Image

Green lenses are a single piece attached by 3 velcro systems: One per side and one in the middle. That's for and easy lens removal when it comes to wiping out the fog and cleaning it.

And finally special to me, was to sign the finished date inside the helmet before requesting deployment.Posted Image

Hope you like the share!Posted Image

http://imageshack.us/g/802/dsc00234y.jpg/

I like very much! Thanks Sandman! At least now I'm getting lots of great ideas how to wire all this stuff in with padding and com. Now, if I can just get the hang of weathering.