Scope on the Lewis

I was 'sick' yesterday and finally got started on my Lewis. It's almost ready for paint, and to be egotistical... I'm think it looks pretty good (except my stock is a little on the 'fancy' side- got carried away with the jigsaw). Anyway... how does everyone feel about putting a scope on the Lewis? I have not seen a canon reference to one, but have seen a couple on 501st sites. They seem to work asthetically.

Just wondering about that the other day working on our bfg. As a heavy blaster, and the real lewis gun for that matter, its main function is to mow down in volume anything in its path or radius. So a scope would look aesthetically cool and suppose you could justify adding one if there's an on-screen reference; otherwise wouldn't it kind of be like putting a scope on a shotgun? But then again this is a heavy duty laser and not a short-range scattergun. May be good to see what you have so far

As a heavy blaster it should be used for area fire suppression so it doesn't really need a scope. However, given that it's heavy, that should mean that it has a greater range then a light blaster. So therefore, you could use it for long range sniping. That would justify a scope. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, from a modern day military point of view.

Well they do have .50 cal sniper rifles. IMHO it's all about range. On the M-249 and M-60 we practiced out to 1000m. I found the M-249 more amicable to aiming, but for the M-60 had to walk my rounds in to target. Yes, they can be used for spraying lots of bullets over and area (covering fire) but you can also just ping at a single location.

Perhaps the MG34 & MG15 are considered such weapons where you can aim to some degree - perhaps the MG15 has an even longer range than helmeted eyes through a leaf site can perceive and thus having a scope works well. We can imagine that the Lewis Gun has more kick, more powerful energy bolts, and is this considered more of a short range / close quarters / shotgun type weapon.

The nice thing about fantasy is that we can make up whatever we need to fit the weapon.

I 'finished' my lewis (a few more little things to do- put the grips on, greeblie the barrel, weather a bit more) and made a scope. When I put the pieces together, I realized the scope didn't work, so that settles that. And to show off...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Paul,

Sweet! With a weapon that large, the concussion alone from one laser blast should knock any rebel on his "can" within a 50 yard radius!

I love it, boys and their toys!

Guns

ePS: Or like Caomhanach said, you could use it as a BF "club"!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey that is NIIIICCEEE!

Is that a plastic container from the powdered lemonaid sold at WalMart you used on the muzzle end? I think that is an EXCELLENT variation!

Tony

TK4063 soon to be TD4063

Looks great!

I'm a fan of the Lewis, I think it's the most prominent BFG for the sandtroopers (who could forget the Captain talking to Garindan before marching into Docking Bay 94). After I finish my E-11 it's next on the list.

If you guys don't mind, let me ask: What's the best material/kind of pipe for the barrel? I picked up a 3" PVC pipe but that thing weighs a couple pounds. Anything lighter that they sell at Depot/Lowes?

3" ABS pipe (the black stuff) will be a bit lighter than 3" PVC pipe (the white stuff). I have also seen some very thin walled 3" pipe, (white on the outside-black on the inside) that is used for drainage. It's pretty sturdy, has a slight "corrugated ridge texture" to it, along with small holes that run in a line down the length of it that may need filled or something. All these options are at Home Depot/Lowes. Me personally, I"m going to use 3" ABS when I build mine.

Hope that helps!

take care,

Tony

Hey that is NIIIICCEEE!

Is that a plastic container from the powdered lemonaid sold at WalMart you used on the muzzle end? I think that is an EXCELLENT variation!

Tony

TK4063 soon to be TD4063

Yeah, it it. I've since put a pipe clamp over the reducer, but think I need to bondo that gap.