Dewback Prod end

Most of us know the length of the PVC pipe used in ANH but not the width or the correct coupler attachment. This company: http://www.oasisngv.com/couplings in New Zealand will sell you one or two of the couplers but I am not sure what is the correct size to order? Could this attachment pass cannon scrutiny? You have to e-mail Andrew Cutfield andrew@oasisengineering.co.nz and tell him your currency and the exact product with size (cut and paste the picture). Maybe we can get someone here to do a mold of the piece if someone can figure out the correct size? It looks like they have 3/8, 3/4 & 1 1/2 available. I think maybe the dewback pole was 3/4'' or 1'' thick? Looks like they don't offer 1'', but how did the coupler fit on to the end of the pole? ? Maybe it was a 1 1/2'' coupler slid over a 1'' pole? Kent building supplies has grey 10 foot electrical PVC pipe in these sizes. Any thoughts from the prop maker pro's on how to approach this?

J

I've seen those quick release couplers in a couple of different places, but it doesn't look like precisely the right thing. I don't think we even know for sure that what they were using in Tunisia was in fact a quick release coupler. I have no idea how you would go about that particular identification.

Could it have been something they picked up in Africa, or was absolutely everything brought over from the UK? I don't think the Dewback prods have ever been seen in any photographs outside of the Tunisia shoot? So maybe they were made there and junked there?

Maybe they're still out there, in some moisture farmer's hut, propping up the roof.

• 2 weeks later...