How the (Star Wars) Prequels should have happened...

Tyranus

Hi everyone. I am part of a local (Richmond VA) forum called River City Fanboys, and this topic came up for discussion recently. I found it really interesting, and wanted to know what everyone here thinks about this. Another point that came up was, what if ANH and TESB existed and NOTHING else in the SW universe. How could the prequels be re-written, and how could there have been a better ROTJ and a third set of 3 films to wrap up the saga.

Here is the initial post from the RCF forums:

"Ok, we need a good discussion topic. This place has been kind of dead due to the summer. It's starting to cool down and hopefully more people will chime in. This isn't a new topic by any means, but I thought I'd start one here.

Here's what I am looking for... If we were to rewrite the prequels I want to know BASED ON THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY what story elements should be in the prequels. State the canon source and what should be added.

Examples/my ideas:

Obi-Wan says to Luke, "When I first met your father, he was the best star pilot in the galaxy"

--With that being said, Obi-Wan should have met Anakin when he was older. Anakin would have been a "star pilot" not a pod racer.

Obi-Wan discusses the Clone Wars, but never mentions anything at all about Droids or Order 66.

--Take out the Droids, but I am not sure who the clones would be fighting. Order 66 never happened.

Obi-Wan senses Alderaan being destroyed.

--Maybe have Obi-wan visit Alderaan and actually have a connection there instead of Naboo.

Luke discusses how Han's ship is a hunk of junk.

--Have a cameo of the Millennium Falcon, but in supreme condition."

Let me hear what you have to say.

It would definitely gotta have more nudity in it :lol:

In my versions things like the Gungan's wouldn't even appear, more "grown up" characters instead of some of the cuddly critters we see made for a younger crowd...

And for a change, I would let the bad guys win in the end. :peace:

from what i could gather, the millennium falcon is in the prequels. just goes by a different name and paint scheme. as this is being typed on my playstation 3, cant check myself. its bound to be on wookieepedia.

It is, but it looks exactly the same. It should have an evolution as well, going from pristine to well worn.

This thread is open to COMPLETELY rewriting the PT as if nothing in them EVER HAPPENED.

The same goes for ROTJ.

Presume that only ANH and TESB exist, and pitch out ideas for what you wanted to see in the prequels, and how ROTJ could have been a much batter movie with those changes in place.

• 3 months later...

^_^

well, the clone wars; by implication of the name, the clone wars could be about the abuse of clones as infantry, and yeah, order 66 would still happen, so just replace the droids with clones in different armor.

the scene of yoda vs dooku, where dooku has the reactor thing fall on obiwan/ani; instead of simply letting it drop, yoda should have had a crowning moment of badass and thrown the reactor into dooku's ship, causing it to crash, clones capture dooku, and thus deliver a crippling blow to the sith and ending the clone wars alot sooner.

one interesting irony is how the in-universe mandalorians of that era side with the seps, leading the clones to despise their mandalorian heritage (jango), and eventually drop it in favor of more generalized Imperial Culture. i would change it so that there would be both jedi and mando generals and commanders.

i also would have had the ARC-170 pilots helmets more enclosed, with the visor screen covering the whole face, even tho its transparent. that way you get a more sensible continuity to the rebel and tie fighter costumes.

i also would have up-powered the jedi and siths force abilities, but then again, im a fan of TFU B)

Hi everyone. I am part of a local (Richmond VA) forum called River City Fanboys, and this topic came up for discussion recently. I found it really interesting, and wanted to know what everyone here thinks about this. Another point that came up was, what if ANH and TESB existed and NOTHING else in the SW universe. How could the prequels be re-written, and how could there have been a better ROTJ and a third set of 3 films to wrap up the saga.

Here is the initial post from the RCF forums:

"Ok, we need a good discussion topic. This place has been kind of dead due to the summer. It's starting to cool down and hopefully more people will chime in. This isn't a new topic by any means, but I thought I'd start one here.

Here's what I am looking for... If we were to rewrite the prequels I want to know BASED ON THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY what story elements should be in the prequels. State the canon source and what should be added.

Examples/my ideas:

Obi-Wan says to Luke, "When I first met your father, he was the best star pilot in the galaxy"

--With that being said, Obi-Wan should have met Anakin when he was older. Anakin would have been a "star pilot" not a pod racer.

Obi-Wan discusses the Clone Wars, but never mentions anything at all about Droids or Order 66.

--Take out the Droids, but I am not sure who the clones would be fighting. Order 66 never happened.

Obi-Wan senses Alderaan being destroyed.

--Maybe have Obi-wan visit Alderaan and actually have a connection there instead of Naboo.

Luke discusses how Han's ship is a hunk of junk.

--Have a cameo of the Millennium Falcon, but in supreme condition."

Let me hear what you have to say.

oh i love these conversations (releases the inner geek)

i agree, obi wan should meet anakin as a pilot, similar age to luke at the time, but perhaps not so boyish you know, already being a fighter and all, a little more mature and experienced

i agree about droids and order 66, as a kid I always imagined the people of the republic and the jedi were fighting clones, the clones were the threat, not droids. I don't think stormtroopers have to be clones, it has a certain logic to it, but considering the thousands of worlds, and trillions of people in the galaxy i don't think the empire would have too much trouble finding bodies to fill all that armor ;) (and I thought it would be cool to see supertroopers (the boba concept) aka mandolorians in here somewhere as opposed to a single jango, perhaps boba served the old republic and was older like vader in TESB?)

alderaan - I'd go even further, its saidobi wan served bail, why wouldn't he actually live and serve ON alderaan, it would make the loss of alderaan in 4 all that more powerful if there was a built up back story instead of just a flyby montage

essentially, E2 should be E1 and E2 would be an actual war throughout and an analog to TESB.

**AND, to answer your ROTJ question (this is my favorite) i was chatting with a friend about that very thing, and recalled a mcquarie painting which showed curascant with SEVERAL orbiting space stations under construction, and I thought to myself, why wouldn't the final battle be an assualt on coruscant itself? guarded by MANY death stars ? THAT would be a **** of a battle. and would make more sense than taking over teddy bear land resulting in the fall of an empire

(prods inner geek back into its cage)

ROTJ had a terrific story, I don't think I'd change the rescue op very much other than having Jabba getting away or at the very least one of his relatives seeking vengance for his death. Maybe the Rancor breaking out and eating 3P0.

The mission against the second Death Star was cool too. I would say the Rebs and the Imps would be thwarted by vicious badgerlike creatures. Maybe the Death star being destroyed with all the Skywalkers inside it, and definately rioting on all the planets they show partying on why would everyone be partying anyway? They're all citizens of the Empire. Wouldn't they be upset?

• 3 weeks later...

ROTJ had a terrific story, I don't think I'd change the rescue op very much other than having Jabba getting away or at the very least one of his relatives seeking vengance for his death. Maybe the Rancor breaking out and eating 3P0.

The mission against the second Death Star was cool too. I would say the Rebs and the Imps would be thwarted by vicious badgerlike creatures. Maybe the Death star being destroyed with all the Skywalkers inside it, and definately rioting on all the planets they show partying on why would everyone be partying anyway? They're all citizens of the Empire. Wouldn't they be upset?

I totally agree on the partying part....as citizens of the empire they should've brought it in a different way, total anarchy or something like that and some shots of the remaining divisions/ legions that are still stationed fighting the crowds or at least preventing an uprise that might be the result of the success that the rebels just have achieved.

It is so easy to assume that with the Emperor and Darth being gone the Empire is over and done with...I would've found it better and more assumable if the person highest in rank after Darth stepped up to the plate to kick some rebel butt...