Always in motion, the future . . .

Tyranus

TM is not entirely fan sculpted either. And, let's face it the person selling FX was not the original sculptor either, but is the most scrupulous of the FX makers.

We all know there is OK and not OK recasting, and it's been this way for quite some time, and it's childish to pretend otherwise. At the end of the day we make rules that protect our membership.

There is always an element that will use the argument of "it's all recast" to further their lies and personal agenda's, but that cry is not made for the benefit of the membership, or the community, but is solely out of a need for personal gain.

I have no dog in this fight - I'm just trying to get clarification on my part because I'm new to the whole TK scene. So, no lies or personal agenda here. Just seems to me we are saying it's OK to be a recaster if you are one of the many people cranking out TE-derived armor.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read all of this, and am not surprised. I mean, the issue of recasting is not a crime. It is just morally wrong. It should be a crime, since this person is stealing another's idea and copying it. It is what this world has became though, People screwing each other to make a buck. The culture is not as it was 30-40 yrs ago and longer, no matter what country we live in. I mean, there are members here that have done, and still do the same thing as we are speaking about here. Members here that purchase someone else's product, then copy, and steal the idea to make a buck. Not illegal, but morally wrong. The morality of people has became one of greed and not of honor. This group we are in though, I joined on the assumption that it was different. I thought we were a group of individuals that all had day jobs, and did this hobby as a way of enjoying the realm of Star Wars, and the police officers of Mos Eisley. We worked with each other to make this hobby the best it could be. Each of us had a talent to make a contribution to this detachment, and many still do. It has changed though to a point in some ways.

Now we have businesses who have infiltrated our base, on the whole idea of making money from our officers.

Not illegal, but morally wrong in my opinion.

One thing I do wish, is that we got back to making the best costumes possible for reasonable prices. Maybe this is why some recast? Because of cost? I mean to pay $1,800 for pieces of plastic is kind of hard to swallow for many people out there who would love to join in this hobby. I do wish the hobby wasn't so expensive.

your not the only one jay!

a lot of recasts get bought by obviously ebay buyers and new members

that dont know any better and dont understand the word recast!

i admit my first armour was a recast as i had no idea i was doing anything morally wrong!

although the forums have come a long way now to try and educate people in this!! :thumbsup:

your not the only one jay!

a lot of recasts get bought by obviously ebay buyers and new members

that dont know any better and dont understand the word recast!

i admit my first armour was a recast as i had no idea i was doing anything morally wrong!

although the forums have come a long way now to try and educate people in this!! :thumbsup:

Well brother, I don't think being the purchaser makes you or anyone morally wrong. Just wanted to clarify that. Its the person that recast, and then sells something as there own design, that has some issues.

You know, to me... I would rather recast something and admit I did it, than to recast something and than lie about it and say I created it all by myself. Kind of like TE derived armor. Guys that recast it in the past, admitted they recast it, and then changed it to suit what they wanted to recreate. Now people recast, and then tell everyone that they designed something themselves. Shoot, I have had Pauldrons recast as well. Lol it happens everywhere!

Look at Gucci knock off purses!!

One thing I do wish, is that we got back to making the best costumes possible for reasonable prices. Maybe this is why some recast? Because of cost? I mean to pay $1,800 for pieces of plastic is kind of hard to swallow for many people out there who would love to join in this hobby. I do wish the hobby wasn't so expensive.

I think that's a very valid point. There is serious price gouging going on and in my opinion is just begging somebody to recast your stuff. The phrase "you get what you pay for "only gets you so far"

The whole recasting issue is a world and a huge debate on its own. We are derailing the thread already. So unless we go back to the specific issue this thread is about (am armor) I will have to lock it down.

Don't mean we can't discuss recasting for everyone's benefit (specially informing new members), but lets do it in another thread.

Anyway, lots have been said about recasting as moral and legal issue, but most of the times we end up in the same loop discussion. So unless we find a new approach, info or stand, maybe we can just go back and read some archived discussions both here and over the FISD. That would same time and energy.

Lets keep on the AM topic here.

Move along. Move along.

Saludos.

Guest Locitus

Yep seems like the RS suit getting the hammer.

Both the armor makers: Movie - FX and now AM have recast the RS suit it seems... Cccrazy times :blink:

Makerofthings also recasted RS for the armour. The helmet seems to be TE-linage still.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I, for one, would like to hear an update from Ward. I was holding off on buying my TK/TD armor until this was available, but then I stumbled in to this quagmire of a thread today. I am saddened and dissapointed that the "R" word has reared it's ugly head. My first Armor (Shadowtrooper) is existing AM and it has served me well. If Ward has given up on this or if he is working to dispel the accusations or whatever, I would like to know. I can not begin to argue against what Paul says. He is an expert, I am not. I can only hope that even the best can be mistaken but, as Brad said, the silence is deafening.

So, any time now!

• 5 months later...

Interesting thread for sure. Paul is 100% correct, this armour does indeed appear to be a re-cast of our armour (based on the imges shown). For the maker to claim the sculpts were destroyed whilst making the tools, without so much of an images of the sculpts before the process was carried out is a bad joke, does this story stand up within our community?

I can confirm that no permissions have been given to anyone in relation to recasting our armour. To clarify, our armour is cast directly from an original suit AND is endorsed by the original sculptor, Brian Muir.

Rob.

Interesting thread for sure. Paul is 100% correct, this armour does indeed appear to be a re-cast of our armour (based on the imges shown). For the maker to claim the sculpts were destroyed whilst making the tools, without so much of an images of the sculpts before the process was carried out is a bad joke, does this story stand up within our community?

I can confirm that no permissions have been given to anyone in relation to recasting our armour. To clarify, our armour is cast directly from an original suit AND is endorsed by the original sculptor, Brian Muir.

Rob.

Thanks Rob. We've been trying to get someone on FISD with an NE kit to take some side by side comparisons photos with a RS set to provide solid proof of recasting. However, this is proof enough for me. There are a ton of NE builds in process on FISD if you want to take a look. Here are a few

I cannot, personally or as the DL of FISD, in good conscious recommend this armor to anyone. However I'm not and will not turn anyone away on FISD who buys it needs help assembling it, or applies for EIB/Cenutrion.

The truth of the matter is that the NE guys are producing inexpensive and readily available TK armor. We're going to be seeing a lot of new TKs sporting NE.

Aloha nui my dirty brothers,

-Eric

Id be interested in seeing the side by side comparisons as well. I'm with Eric on not turning people away based on their choice in armor.

We've had some questionable armor builders in the past and they seem to eventually disappear.

• 3 months later...

Let me be very clear on one issue . . . I am the face of the maker, and have been the face of the maker for almost 13 years, but I am not the maker. I have been the public face of someone who prefers to be out of the main picture and spotlight.

I am assured from that maker and friend (the same maker you refer to as being the most scrupulous in the game - the maker of FX and AM) that there are no recast parts in the NE kit. New sculpts were made for each piece utilizing available images and information from existing screen-used kits in an effort to give people what they wanted, which was a kit that was more screen accurate than the FX or AM kit. Accuracy became an issue for the maker because it increasingly became an 'want' from the troops.

If someone says "Make me a Rolls Royce", and we produce one, and then they say "It looks too much like a Rolls Royce", it leaves us a little baffled. We're just trying to please people with the product.

With that said, to settle the obviously ruffled feathers, the replacement of some pieces (not the helmet faceplate) is a possibility in future runs, perhaps by reverting them to AM pieces.

IF that were to happen, which pieces would you like to see exchanged?