Windlassstudios.

Rolf

Hi gang.

I guess some of you know this site:

http://www.windlassstudios.com/t-starwars.aspx

Here you got the interview:

http://www.windlassstudios.com/t-land-star...-interview.aspx

I like this section here, where they talk about making new Storm/Sandtrooper:

Clone Wars coming in August. It includes all characters and I do mean all, for high-end, screen worthy clothing ensembles with accessories plus full sets of armor. We will be working very closely with Lucasfilm archival personnel, physical samples from the archives, swatches, 3-D files, cut patterns, etc. to bring out the most screen accurate clothing ensembles ever offered. So our license is for all the characters from iconic Han, Luke, Leia, Anakin and Obi to auxiliary characters like Boba Fett, Imperial Officers, Rebel fighters, Biker Scouts you name it. If it’s in the films we’ve got the character. Oh and for the first time ever, fully licensed and endorsed, complete sets of armor! Yes, Storm Troopers, Sand Troopers, Clone Troopers, Biker Scouts, Boba, Jango and more.

It looks like they will come out in 2010.

Do you think/know if the ANH Storm/Sandtroopers will be made/cast/pulled/screen accurate from the LFL archives, or just another bad replica made from LFL for the public.

Cheers troops :)

My guess is that it will be just as nice as the rubies :wacko::P

Ha ha good one bro :lol: .

I guess you right.

I´m also all most sure, that it will not be more accurate, then what we all ready go here among us today.

I guess LFL will never make a cast of a screen used ANH suit, for sale to the public.

Sad but true.

It would be fantastic if they did cast a screen used ANH suit but I highly doubt they will. I think the best we can hope for are laser scanned copies. Still, I really hope they can offer screen accurate looking troopers, so we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

I might be wrong but, I remember hearing a podcast with an interview of one of the head guys at windlass saying that actually, LFL gave them access to a newly found complete set of screen used TK armor.

He also talked a lot about lots of research on plastic and materials to make their armor virtually identical to that used on screen.

Unfortunately, I cant remember where did I got that podcast... Ill look for it...

But anyway, I still think their set of armor wont be much better than the rubbies...

Saludos.

I really hope they can offer screen accurate looking troopers,

Yes, that will be the only thing.

What do you think will be happend when they do a copy of real a ANH Suit...

there will be at the same day a recast on the market :lol:

The "problem" with these sort of licensed suits, buckets, and armor is that the people who make them are always restricted by 1 thing... price.

If they can't make a profit on it there's no reason for them to do it. So that means, when it comes down to it, that they might cut corners, fudge a little on "this" or "that" and so on and so forth just to make certain they will turn a profit.

That's fine on things like the Imperial uniforms... fabric costumes. Even on some of the amazing sword replicas and such that have been made by other companies through the years. The MiB Neuralyzer (of which I own one of) from Master Replicas comes to mind. That thing wasn't cheap... and it is spot-on AWESOME... but they STILL had to make a profit! They were just able to do it!

When, however, you start talking about full body armor... and you start trying to replicate something that was originally made in the late 70's — not in our current "hi-tech" world — then you start falling short very quickly with what you can and can't do and still make money on it. Things like the asymmetrical aspect of the armor... the biceps, legs, forearms and everything being different... all means separate molds... which adds up to more $$.

You also, and obviously, have to consider how much people / fans / etc. are willing to pay for something. Sure... most of us would fork out a bunch for a suit. But... if they're going to mass produce them they can't rely on just us.

And, finally, when you're talking about a sword or a Neuralyzer you're talking about a one-size-fits-all item. Even a fabric suit you can make in sizes. But pre-assembled boy armor? Sorry... you must be this height to enjoy this ride.

All this to say I would LOVE for there to be a screen-accurate, really well made, one-size-fits-all, "affordable" set of TK armor... but, I don't think it's going to happen. Not for a while yet.

Maybe the new live action series troopers will have some "updated" armor that will be really sweet and lend itself to being mass produced and marketed. One can only hope...

All this is true, and is very hard that they will make a suit that will satisfy or fits everyone, but I think that if they do a good job on replicating the armor it can make a good mannequin.

All this is true, and is very hard that they will make a suit that will satisfy or fits everyone, but I think that if they do a good job on replicating the armor it can make a good mannequin.

And it will be specially difficult to satisfy a bunch of ppl that spend hours and hours looking for and modifying vintage tuuperware, plumbing stuff, old vintage fabrics, boots, specific paint brands and nnumbers, rubber parts and out of date radios and gadgets.

Lets be honest, even if they came up with the ultimate armor, we will always find something that is not entirely correct. We are e very different group from the target group these replicas will be aimed to.

I wonder, if Lucas found a cointainer with "hundreds" of screen used armor in perfect shape, and make it available for sale, would that be enough for us? Maybe, I guess. But there will always be someone trying to improve even that.

I just love this hobby!! LOL!!

I rather have my untrimmed set of armor and finish it as close as possible to how screen used armor appear on screen (not necessarily how it really was), than purchasing a pre assembled mass produced "screen accurate" set of armor.

But thats just me.

Having said this... It does sound promising, but my expectations aren't too high.

HEHE...

Saludos...

on the one hand i would want them to offer a screenaccurate armor and helmet with the most accurate material used and so on...

BUT

on the other hand i would hate it, because that would mean we reached the very end of our quest for the most accurate TK or TD...

and silly how it sounds that´s what we do in our daily life, right? we ARE Star Wars nerds...

c´mon admit it gang! let´s say it all together... WE... ARE... STAR WARS... NERDS!

i assume that would really change my life. i would give a small fortune to own a screenaccurate suit (or a kidney)!

at the same time i would need another hobby... maybe screenaccurate Power Ranger suits? :6:

on the one hand i would want them to offer a screenaccurate armor and helmet with the most accurate material used and so on...

BUT

on the other hand i would hate it, because that would mean we reached the very end of our quest for the most accurate TK or TD...

and silly how it sounds that´s what we do in our daily life, right? we ARE Star Wars nerds...

c´mon admit it gang! let´s say it all together... WE... ARE... STAR WARS... NERDS!

i assume that would really change my life. i would give a small fortune to own a screenaccurate suit (or a kidney)!

at the same time i would need another hobby... maybe screenaccurate Power Ranger suits? :6:

I admit it :lol:

I follow you all the way.

I buy my FX in 2000, and i remember when i saw and got my GF in 2004.

I was in heaven, then i found the AP in 2005.

And jump to that, then i bump into the TM in 2007.

And in 2008 i add a TE2 to my collection too.

Now i have been waiting for the new Dan Laws suit since late 2008.

So i know the feeling of the seach, and getting it home.

I guess you right, if we all could by screen used cast/made replicas from LFL for a full sandtrooper:

Suit, back pack, pauldron etc...

I guess the search will be over, and we could only show off pictures on different troop events and so.

But i doubt, the Windlassstudio storm/sandtrooper will be based of screen used ANH suits.

But i must say, i really hope so (it would be a dream come true).

If so i guess they will be very high price, if LFL decide make them.

But again, until now, there suits have looked wrong/not accurate.

So the only way they could control the market, will be to make the best/most screen accurate suit ever.

So they might do it...

But again, i guess we are only about 5% of the buyers.

There are really trooper nerds, and know what its 100% screen accurate.

So i guess, it will just be another Rubies a like from them...

Troop on :)

• 4 weeks later...

There's a thread on this subject over at the RPF where some very good pics of their production softgoods are shown and the prognosis is NOT GOOD. Their fabric choices are so far from the originals as to be laughable. I'm sure it's like Nol stated in his post. It all comes down to pricing. Sure, they could make a screen accurate version of any costume but after they've paid their licensing fees to LFL, advertising budgets, and the overhead any company incurs they still wanna walk away with a profit, as they should. Trouble is, if they spend the money to make the suit accurately, their prices will be very high. Too high for the general public, the people who they believe make up their potential customer base.

Besides, I kinda like the fact that "the good stuff" is made and circulated off the grid.

There's a thread on this subject over at the RPF where some very good pics of their production softgoods are shown and the prognosis is NOT GOOD. Their fabric choices are so far from the originals as to be laughable. I'm sure it's like Nol stated in his post. It all comes down to pricing. Sure, they could make a screen accurate version of any costume but after they've paid their licensing fees to LFL, advertising budgets, and the overhead any company incurs they still wanna walk away with a profit, as they should. Trouble is, if they spend the money to make the suit accurately, their prices will be very high. Too high for the general public, the people who they believe make up their potential customer base.

Besides, I kinda like the fact that "the good stuff" is made and circulated off the grid.

I guess your right Tom.

A 100% cast/copy of a screen used ANH suit, will cost them much more.

Then just buy the rights from LFL, making a stormtrooper suit them self from ref pictures etc.

Cheers bro, and thanks for your reply :)

• 1 month later...

Question? Even if Museum Replicas does make a licensed "Authentic AHN TK and TD Armor" and puts it out for sale "2010 pre-order, delivery late spring"

And since it is not a deluxe Halloween costume I.E. (RUBIES) but "premium armor" could LFL force us to wear only Museum Replicas.? :angry:

This is a part form the Q&A with Robin Chaudhuri of Atlanta Cutlery/Museum Replicas Ltd. & Windless Studios, regarding their newly acquired Star Wars license.

CP: Costuming, specifically 'Trooping' with The Fighting 501st, has become a very popular pastime for Star Wars enthusiasts, will people be able to 'Troop' in these costumes, specifically the armor?

RC: What's the use of being a Clone Trooper or any other if you can't troop, fight, frolic (OK, maybe not frolic). No cheap plastic here. We want to be able to move and enjoy a good blaster fight just like you, so you'll have that aspect to the armor. We're paying particular attention to the material and will do our best to come up with a material that looks, feels and plays the part without breaking, denting and have minimal scratching. Of course we realize some of you will do this on your own for a battle damaged look. Steve Sansweet has told us how important these specific aspects are to the fan base and we need to make sure that's incorporated into the design.

... since it is not a deluxe Halloween costume I.E. (RUBIES) but "premium armor" could LFL force us to wear only Museum Replicas.? :angry:

Maybe for an LFL event... but not for anything else. We're not even really a documented group / organization or "club." They know not to anger us... just like we know not to anger them. B)

I almost wish they wouldn't try. I know I'm still new to this but where's the fun in going to a site and buying a compleated suit?

The fun for me was doing all the research, buying all the supplies, trimming, cuts, gluing fingers to plastic, and the priceless feeling of compleating it all on my own.

Although I am a tad bit courious to see what they come up with.

When you say "they know not to anger us" it reminds me of fight club. We are your goverment workers, retail employees, we protect you wile you sleep....and so on :D