TE forming ROTJ suits and helmet VIDEO

RoCKo

Good stuff, always interesting.

Warning though, I would not advise melting plastic in your kitchen oven as the fumes created by heating up styrene can be dangerous. I'm no expect on the matter, so I'll defer to Charlie the Crashmann...

I just saw it oner at FISD.

Even i´m only a ANH stunt fan, i must say these ROTJ/TE suits looks freaking cool.

(love the living room in the clip :D )

Wow! I love to watch vacuum forming videos, and with footage of TE armor?!? Beautiful!

It's incredible to see he pulled all of the armor just using his kitchen oven and a shop vac. And it's got great detail!

They are great videos because TrooperExpert also provides instructions on vacuum forming - talc for mold release, heating the plastic to a certain amount of sag, some parts needing more sag than others, and you see him smoothing out the webbing on some of the pulls. Great stuff, and thank you for sharing the links Rocko.

I really hope he did not use the oven for cooking food after heating plastic in there. Supposedly, according to the Thurston James "The Prop Maker's Molding and Casting Handbook" the fumes from HIPS are not toxic, but when the plastic starts to burn, that is when the bad stuff comes out. In the first video at 7:34, you can see smoke coming off the sheet when he pulls it out of the oven.

For anyone trying this at home, do not eat the brownies :D Always make sure you have good ventilation when baking plastic. When I was in the basement, my rig was next to the door with a fan blowing. Now that I'm in the garage, I make sure the back doors are wide open, the front door is up, and a fan is blowing. My memory isn't what it used to be, maybe it's old age, or it's the plastic fumes, but you only get one turn around this life, so please use caution when playing with plastic like this.

Man, that is some great looking armor, and just piled up everywhere. Wow!

Charlie

• 2 months later...