Backpack Frames

hhuggins

For those of you using a frame for your pack, what did you use as the base for the frame? Do any of you have problems with the frame scratching up the back plate of your armor?

HH

The actual frame used is a US Army 'Alice' pack frame. Once you add everything to it, it could get a little heavy, but the frame is made of aluminum. You should be able to find one at any Army Surplus store.

• 2 weeks later...

The actual frame used is a US Army 'Alice' pack frame. Once you add everything to it, it could get a little heavy, but the frame is made of aluminum. You should be able to find one at any Army Surplus store.

Beat me to it, you can get them on Ebay as well run you around 20 -40 bucks.

• 1 month later...

That's right. That's what I'm using and if you 'strap' it correctly, it won't really scratch up your armor. I think my back armor is still the cleanest part of my entire suit. LOL!

Tim.

I used 1" PVC tubing + four elbows for my pack as I couldn't find a used ALICE frame within budget. ABS'd it together and spray painted it. I made the straps myself and - like others - used padding to prevent heavy scraping.

I used 1" PVC tubing + four elbows for my pack as I couldn't find a used ALICE frame within budget. ABS'd it together and spray painted it. I made the straps myself and - like others - used padding to prevent heavy scraping.

Pretty much ditto, except I used 1/2" PVC.

Another tip: whatever kind of frame you go with, you might want to add some elastic webbing or stretch-type material for the lower back area. You could probably find some at a fabric store. Minor mod but huge comfort difference

Same thing for me - 1/2 PVC tubing (with a crossbar in the middle to add additional support)... works like a charm and doesn't scratch too much. I also added weather strip grade foam to the inside edges to cut down on rubbing.... After trooping twice, I have found that the straps need to be replaced and re-worked - anyone have any suggestions?

Pretty much ditto, except I used 1/2" PVC.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to retract my statement about the Alice Pack frame. If it was an Alice pack frame, it's a completely different design that goes by a different name.

I've compared every available screen capture to the numerous Alice Pack frames available on ebay are they are clearly different parts.

looking at the movie shots it looks like it's only as tall as the pack, and has an "L" at the bottom, can't see the bend you were talking about though. Shoot me some size spec's and I'll get on it. I can probably have one done by the next event.

I'm going to retract my statement about the Alice Pack frame. If it was an Alice pack frame, it's a completely different design that goes by a different name.

I've compared every available screen capture to the numerous Alice Pack frames available on ebay are they are clearly different parts.

Yup you are right. They are not ALICE packs. That is a common myth. ALICE packs are the base for GHOST Buster's proton packs, not sadntroopers. The closest thing I have found is a boy scout backpack frame. CAUTION: THERE ARE NUMEROUS MODELS! You can usually get them for $15-$20 on eBay. You will have to add the midpoint bendd in them but they have the foot in them already and are pretty darn close to what we see on screen. I will try to take a pic of one of mine when I get home.

I'm kinda new to this so please forgive me if I touch on a subject already covered but I'm in the process of building a more accurate pack and was just wondering what frames would be best for this.

I've checked out the local surplus stores and they want close to $100 for any backpack frame. I've looked around for the boyscout frames but as most are online they are "sight unseen". At 6'3" I worry a boyscout frame would be too small for me to wear so I started looking at the ALICE frames.

I guess what I'm getting at is, even though ALICE frames aren't what they used to make the packs, would you suggest them as a good option to use?

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

I'm kinda new to this so please forgive me if I touch on a subject already covered but I'm in the process of building a more accurate pack and was just wondering what frames would be best for this.

I've checked out the local surplus stores and they want close to $100 for any backpack frame. I've looked around for the boyscout frames but as most are online they are "sight unseen". At 6'3" I worry a boyscout frame would be too small for me to wear so I started looking at the ALICE frames.

I guess what I'm getting at is, even though ALICE frames aren't what they used to make the packs, would you suggest them as a good option to use?

If you are interested in a "Alice pack frame" Here is a decent priced webstie:http://www.vtarmynavy.com/alice-pack-frames.htm

Hope it helps.

The Boy Scout frames I've seen are around 9" longer than the Alice pack frames, so maybe a BSA frame might be what you're looking for.

There's an auction for one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BOY-SCOUTS-OF-...QrdZ1QQcmdZView

Item://http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BOY-SCO...QQcmdZView

Item

The frames used must have either been custom built, which I doubt considering the budget Lucas had at the time, or some type of British or African (Tunisia) frame they had access to.

Good luck in your search!

• 11 months later...

How to shock people in one easy lesson, do a search...

Looking to upgrade the pack so looking for a new frame...I went looking for pack frames rather than just pasting a new thread, found this and thought I'd post...