Trimming MH/SB/Charlie Seed Trays

Barking Dragon

Hi Everyone,

I am on my way to building up my MH/SB/Charlie back pack but am stuck with how much to take off the seed trays?? I tried to have a look at Mike's back pack build for pics but the link with his site is down :(

If someone could please confirm whether to trim all the way down to the red line in my picture or leave it at the blue line, that would be great. Maybe even a close up picture of your MH/SB/Charlie seed trays completed would be a great help aswell.

Posted Image

Thanks Dan

It's up.

I recently switched web hosts and there was no 'www' resolution in the old link. Thanks for catching that, I just fixed it.

http://www.tk1536.com/mh_backpack_instructions/page1.html

Sweet!! Thanks Mike, didn't realise how much I had come to rely on your web site for reference pics and more ;)

Looks like I need to sand down my seed trays more and try to get them more in the middle of the red and blue line.

dan

• 1 month later...

It's up.

I recently switched web hosts and there was no 'www' resolution in the old link. Thanks for catching that, I just fixed it.

http://www.tk1536.com/mh_backpack_instructions/page1.html

Mike - your website is down again. I clicked onto the url and received this error message :

"The webpage "www.tk1536.com" cannot be found

DNS error occurred. Server cannot be found. The link may be broken."

• 2 weeks later...

Mike - your website is down again. I clicked onto the url and received this error message :

"The webpage "www.tk1536.com" cannot be found

DNS error occurred. Server cannot be found. The link may be broken."

:lol: i got it in Spanish....

Error de DNS: no se puede encontrar el servidor.

¡Vaya! Parece que este enlace está roto.Sugerencias:

Volver a cargar la página más tarde

• 3 months later...

I've figured out how to trim the seed trays and get them to stay in position!

The trays are shipped with a 1/4" lip all the way around the edge. If you try to butt the trays together with this lip, they'll never line up, nor will they stay in position. If you cut down the lip on both trays so they are completely flat, then the trays will slide apart, as evidenced by the "move along" backpack:

Posted Image

So (although technically not exactly screen accurate), trim the lip on one tray:

Posted Image

Now fit the flat edge of the tray inside the lip of the other:

Posted Image

Posted Image

No matter how much you twist, flex, or try to slide the trays apart, they're not going to move.

Tada!

Posted Image

You'll still need to clean up the edge of tray with the lip, perhaps by taking it down to 1/8" tall. Then you need to figure out how you want to keep them closed - magnets, rivets, zip ties, glue, really long screws, hinges, the force, etc...

Enjoy!

Charlie

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've figured out how to trim the seed trays and get them to stay in position!

The trays are shipped with a 1/4" lip all the way around the edge. If you try to butt the trays together with this lip, they'll never line up, nor will they stay in position. If you cut down the lip on both trays so they are completely flat, then the trays will slide apart, as evidenced by the "move along" backpack:

Posted Image

So (although technically not exactly screen accurate), trim the lip on one tray:

Posted Image

No matter how much you twist, flex, or try to slide the trays apart, they're not going to move.

Tada!

Posted Image

You'll still need to clean up the edge of tray with the lip, perhaps by taking it down to 1/8" tall. Then you need to figure out how you want to keep them closed - magnets, rivets, zip ties, glue, really long screws, hinges, the force, etc...

Charlie, that's a good and innovative idea! :) This is what I'll be doing with my Top and Bottom pair of Seed Trays.

Need your clarification on one point here - the better way to mount the Seed Trays onto the TD Backpack frame is for the untrimmed lip Tray to be facing up and covering the trimmed lip Seed Tray (where it will be attached to the Backpack frame), right? Or is it the other way round? :unsure:

Will appreciate your clarification on this one. :)

Need your clarification on one point here - the better way to mount the Seed Trays onto the TD Backpack frame is for the untrimmed lip Tray to be facing up and covering the trimmed lip Seed Tray (where it will be attached to the Backpack frame), right? Or is it the other way round? unsure.gif

Good question Peter!

Since we are "optimizing the backpack assembly, I recommend having the untrimmed lip on the outside of the backpack and mounting your components onto it, like this:

Posted Image

The tray with the trimmed edge will be mounted to the backpack frame, on the inside of your pack, closest to your back.

Charlie

Good question Peter!

Since we are "optimizing the backpack assembly, I recommend having the untrimmed lip on the outside of the backpack and mounting your components onto it, like this:

Posted Image

The tray with the trimmed edge will be mounted to the backpack frame, on the inside of your pack, closest to your back.

Charlie

Charlie, thanks for your recommendations. I'll position my Seed Trays with the untrimmed lip to be on top /facing up and mount the necessary Backpack components on them. Yes and the Seed Trays with the trimmed lip gets attached to my TD Backpack frame. :)

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

SWAT's goal is to emulate a particular sandtrooper from a particular scene. All of the photos of the sandtrooper backpacks show the seed trays have a flat edge, and that is why they are sliding apart and barely held together with gaffer's tape:

Backpack_MoveAlong.jpg

So, if you're going for SWAT, do not leave the lip around one of the trays. Trim the trays so they are flat.

Charlie

• Like 2