Sonix Victory 75 Reproductions

TD-1536

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely.

I may provide them with the backs un-attached so that you can insert speakers if you want. Currently none of the knobs or switches are functional, so don't try and move them - they'll break off.

How I build these will evolve over time.

As usual Mike, you remain at the top of my "coolest person on earth" list!! :D

As usual Mike, you remain at the top of my "coolest person on earth" list!! :D

I try, but this is really just a labor of love and all the stars aligned to allow me to finish this with good results. Not all my projects turn out so well.

Also, because this initial run and the next half-dozen or so are made in white Urethane resin (hollow), once I run out I'm going to look into the possibility of tinting the material black before pouring. That way, if the face of the radio chips, it will just show black instead of white.

EDIT: I just ordered a black tint from Smooth-on. All future radios will be made in black resin.

Mike

Unbelievable work there Sir!, I want to reach over and switch one on B)

I'd love one of these master pieces, but I'd probably have to get 2 so that

I didn't feel so bad dirtying one up :D

They're absolutely brilliant mate :)

Stunning, amazing, astounding piece of art. I'm a bit curious, though, with all the fine work with painting and lettering, are the lucky ones who procure these going to use them as-is on their packs? Or will people be re-painting/modding them? Or will they be ultra-cool Star Wars artifacts to adorn their collections?

I'm wondering if these same boxes will be offerred either unpainted, as kits (thereby lowering the price), or painted a la A New Hope.

Again, these are gorgeous! :)

I'm wondering if these same boxes will be offerred either unpainted, as kits (thereby lowering the price), or painted a la A New Hope.

My belief is that the radios used in the film have all these details. I can't imagine they'd go through the hassle of painting over everything, especially with such a unique plastic color to try and match. The bottom line is, the film pictures we have are so grainy, it's impossible to confirm.

I'm also thinking about selling them as kits to lower cost, but I'm not sold on the idea yet. Mainly because I expect these to be recast, and in order to do so, they'd have to destroy a nicely finished radio. Also, I custom mix the face-plate color and airbrush it on. I've not found any rattle-can to be anywhere as close. You also have to hand-paint that color into the small cracks, which is difficult to do with any rattle-can.

I'll continue to re-evaluate how I make and sell these over time. For example, I've already started making some in a tinted black/gray, but the results are extremely inconsistent.

Looks amazing any shots of a radio on one of the MH/SB packs so we can get an idea of how well it will fit?

I'll try to get around to fitting one on my current pack, but I'm in the middle of a house move. Rolf, John or Rocko will probably be the first ones to fit it.