Backpack Frame

Caomhanach

• 2 weeks later...

Both.

And they'll always have to be cut up with a hack saw and bent in the middle.

Do you cut the whole top off and replace it?,

or cut the top in the center and rebend the sides?

Do you cut the whole top off and replace it?,

or cut the top in the center and rebend the sides?

If you pick the larger, you cut the extensions off the top down to the cross frame where the straps attach... On the piece at the bottom that bends round, you have to cut about 1 1/2" to 2" out of the middle, then use dowels to attach them together again as the bit that come out of the bottom sticks out too far...

If you pick the larger, you cut the extensions off the top down to the cross frame where the straps attach... On the piece at the bottom that bends round, you have to cut about 1 1/2" to 2" out of the middle, then use dowels to attach them together again as the bit that come out of the bottom sticks out too far...

I have the smaller "himalayan pack" and the top is smaller than the bottom,

also the "bend" is to far up on the sides?

• 1 month later...

I have really been digging a bit on these packs and have struggled as to whether or not we are using the right pack frames. We know the packs were put together very last minute and Mollo state in The Making of Star Wars that they bought the "rack" from a Boy Scout shop but I have come to find that there were a number of companies who worked on packs for the Boy Scouts including Gregory, Kelty and A16. Here is my dilema.... If these packs were built quickly... or even if they weren't, lets assume that they started with the frame as the base.... and there was no real "look" they were going for... Why would they make so many modifications to the pack frame to make it fit the pieces on it? Doesn't that seem backwards? Doesn't it seem that they would make the pieces fit the frame instead of the other way around? Also, bending the frame isn't exactly the easiest thing to do... Why would they both? My research shows that there were packs at that time that had bent frames like that but I haven't been able to find an exact match. I really question whether we have found the right frames or not...

Personal i think the one we know off, and use now from ebay, aka the 70´boyscout frame.

Are:

1. Too wide.

2. Too thick.

3. Goes too far out, and "push" the siphon out in the air away from the frame bow.

4. too long, when you cut it, down the the first line out of the 3 strings going horizontal.

5. hard to bend, because of the 3 string going horizontal.

Cheers :)

Personal i think the one we know off, and use now from ebay, aka the 70´boyscout frame.

Are:

1. Too wide.

2. Too thick.

3. Goes too far out, and "push" the siphon out in the air away from the frame bow.

4. too long, when you cut it, down the the first line out of the 3 strings going horizontal.

5. hard to bend, because of the 3 string going horizontal.

Cheers :)

Some of the packs I am noticing are about 15" wide which are too wide... I am thinking they need to be about 13" wide from what I am seeing, esp to match the common seed trays...

Some of the packs I am noticing are about 15" wide which are too wide... I am thinking they need to be about 13" wide from what I am seeing, esp to match the common seed trays...

I have two of the frames at home. I will measure them when I get back. Are we talking inner dimensions, outer dimensions, or from center of tube to center of tube? Another thing I wonder about is how the seed trays are mounted. I know a lot of people mount supports on top of the frame tubes then mount the trays to that. I tend to believe if flat supports are mounted, they should be mounted UNDER the frame and the seed trays sit down inside the frame. I don't think the seed trays actually sit on the frame itself although I would be willing to be proved wrong.

The last one i did, i just add the two trays, on the 2 out of 3 horizontal bars.

The first one on top, i left alone, and cut the the two pipes down to there.

The next two, i add the trays to.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, did you not bend the frame at all then? That looks very interesting and I want to study it more. From what I see in the movie, I really believe there is one of the horizontal cross bars between the two seedtrays. It is hard to make out but I can try to post pics if you would like.

So, did you not bend the frame at all then? That looks very interesting and I want to study it more. From what I see in the movie, I really believe there is one of the horizontal cross bars between the two seedtrays. It is hard to make out but I can try to post pics if you would like.

On the frame (again I think!) only the upper bar is leeft alone, all the rest are removed...

With the mounting, the mortar tube fits easier to the boxes than if a) the frame is wider and B) the boxes are more 'embedded' into the frame... The distance between the lip on boxes and the frame is fairly small...

On the frame (again I think!) only the upper bar is leeft alone, all the rest are removed...

With the mounting, the mortar tube fits easier to the boxes than if a) the frame is wider and B) the boxes are more 'embedded' into the frame... The distance between the lip on boxes and the frame is fairly small...

I want to make sure we are on the same page...

From what I have seen, there are more or less two Boy Scout pack frames. One has 3 horizontal crossbars, and one has two. I am in agreement that no matter what, the top crossbar gets left alone. My issue is, I swear there is a second crossbar still in place between the two boxes.... but on the scout pack frame with three cross bars, there is no way this would work because the crossbars won't line up right... I would have to look at the other pack frame to see if it would ever work at all... That is where I am having issues. Additionally, this is the first I have heard of the tube connecting to the boxes... Is this just a convenience thing or is there any indications that the originals were mounted this way?

Copy that buddy.

I did not bend it.

I just used the 2 cross bars, and left the last one alone on the top of them.

When i add the trays on whit straps, they turn in the right angle (the > look).

Hi everyone,

Question: US Alice Backpack frame is accurate?. there are 2 plates to both sides to attach the belt. Is it necessary to cut both plates?

Posted Image

Many thanks to all :)

Cheers!

The Alice frame isn't accurate. It wasn't manufactured until after the movies had already come out. I did however use it for the base of my pack. Honestly you would be better off useing the boyscout frame or makeing your own out of pvc pipe. The Alice frame is also much heavier then the boy scout frame.

The ALICE packs are based on the lightweight tropical rucksack there were issued durng the Vietnam war, so maybe that is what you should be looking for?

Vietnam era ruck sacks and their frames are extremely difficult, if not impossible to find. During my research for a Vietnam era living impression, I discovered they're highly sought after, causing ebay auctions to frequently go over $200.

The actual frames used in the films were Boy Scout frames. This is documented in the big, thick 'Making Of' book. The exact frame, to my knowledge, has not been located and the ones we frequently find need to be hacked up to look correct.

The ALICE packs are based on the lightweight tropical rucksack there were issued durng the Vietnam war, so maybe that is what you should be looking for?

Paul,

I don't think they would have used the Vietnam lightweight rucksack, too much work to get it to look like

the ones on screen :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

The scout pack looks the nearest out of all the vitage ones that I've looked at.

Most of the Hiking, camping, climbing, skiing, and military ones with an external

frame just don't seem to have the same characteristics. :(

We'll just have to keep looking :)