My ABS TE

Scootch

Hey guys! I picked up a slightly blemished ABS TE last year. It has a funky "warpage" type thing going on the left trap. Also whatever material was used on the screws caused the ABS to become discolored too. So it started out kinda iffy. I was reworking it this week to sell to a buddy I troop with when I made a rookie mistake that really jacked the dome up. I wanted to see what you guys thought about it........(1) do I leave it? Maybe put a blaster scorch there? (2) do I try a small repair at the damaged area? (3) do I totally rework it into a Sandy with a total overhaul and paint up?

Posted Image

First I took it apart

Posted Image

Then I set to work epoxying the splits in the chin area.....paper thin pull, less than half a mm in the chin! :blink:

Posted Image

Using tape I flexed the thing back into shape so I could build up the inside with epoxy.

Posted Image

Some discoloration from the paint on the screws.

Posted Image

Because the thing is soooooo paper thin, it acts more likke a lampshade so I shot a fatty coat of paint inside to help tone down the transparency.

Posted Image

I had to move the faceplate forward a bit as it had been installed too deep originally.

Posted Image

A little trick I like to use.....industrial loop velcro over the seam to hide any daylight in the com covers, it also works for backer rod when caulking (if you caulk).

Posted Image

installed the com covers,

Posted Image

Had the thing almost finished when I decided to get my magnets out and pull the faceplate and dome together more. Big mistake. :( The plate was just a bit more sturdy than the dome and...........

Posted Image

The ugly realization that epoxy would've been better than hot glue! :blink:

Oh well........................You're not working if you're not making a mistake now and then. :)

So opinions are welcome at this point. And hopefully my mistake will save someone else the trouble. :)

The hot glue issue happened to me when I assembled my first bucket. Luckily enough it was an FX kit, but anyway, a couple of years ago and being it my first helmet, I was really upset.

Anyway, I think yours looks great, and the dome hot glue incident can only give it more character! ;)

Seriously, the bucket looks great! Dont worry much!

Saludos