TD Double Helmet Build

Ghost

With the Mrs and the kids being away for the week I have finally started to do my two TE2 helmets. I will be basing them on the Stop That Ship and Move Along helmets, and doing them in their current form with cracks/chips and all. I will do the ears to screen accuracy so have both options, but they will be left off to match both surviving helmets.

Once they are completed, they can compliment my Felth build.

Thanks to TE2 for the lids, and to Mike for initially assembling them. :duim::duim:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have had to lower the right eye on the Move Along and block out one or the frown gaps on the Stop That Ship. I then have sprayed them both with a HDPE like colour for when I chip them and replicate the worn away paint on the top of the Stop That Ship (the paint was still wet, hence the shine).

This is the easy bit, as to replicate all the minor details and markings will take some work...but looking forward to doing them both together.

I have worked out to get the accurate look of lowered and raised brow on the Move Along, but will show that down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update...Managed to source some decent paint to give them a bit of an aged look..

Posted Image

I tried the plastikote antique white and porcelain white, but they were just too creamy in colour and didn't look right. My three options were:

1. Spray them white and wait 20 years (cheers for the expert advice Paul :D )

2. Spray them white and put them in a smokey pub for a few months (since the smoking ban in pubs, this will be an issue)

3. Source some decent off white paint (the easy option!!)

Therefore had to try some car paint colours, and have decided to go with the Volvo white.

I have also roughened up the teeth and tried to get them looking like the originals, and masked off the top of the stop that ship and have applied some liquid masking to both lids where the chips are...

Posted Image

I have also attached the ears so they mask the shape of them for when they are removed, and tomorrow I will be spraying them both up so will post some pics then.

Wow!!! two new baby´s coming in.

Looking sweet, love the TE2 helmets.

They are top of the line.

So are your helmet collection, and skill making them.

I will follow your topic mate ;) .

I have always liked these two standtrooper helmets and particularly the Move along helmet.

Nice to see somebody do a good buildup. Since you are replicating them as they appear now instead of onscreen, does that mean you will display them without the interior foam and straps?

Looking forward to the white paint!

Spray them white and grab a pastal chalk set from your art shop mate.Spray then rub the chalk into the finished paint job.The great thing about this method is you can vary the ageing from area to area,also the colours.My set has 6 yellows from almost white to dark yellow.there are browns and greys i think 30 colours in all.

if you are really brave grab some wire wool to thake the shine off the more worn areas of the helmet and the pastels will really take hold.

Cheers for the advice guys, I will definitely try your options. I do plan on the finished lids being as they are displayed when auctioned, so no lenses or ears and neck trim only on the Move Along.

Bad news is I had a bit of a nightmare with the Volvo white as found them at the back of a display cabinet and clearly out of date as the paint started separating as it dried..so have a lot of work saving the Move Along lid which has set me back :(

Good news is I didn't spray both lids with the poo paint, so just used the satin porcelain white on the Stop That Ship and have just taken the masking off the main bits...a long way to go but here's some update pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers for the advice guys, I will definitely try your options. I do plan on the finished lids being as they are displayed when auctioned, so no lenses or ears and neck trim only on the Move Along.

Bad news is I had a bit of a nightmare with the Volvo white as found them at the back of a display cabinet and clearly out of date as the paint started separating as it dried..so have a lot of work saving the Move Along lid which has set me back :(

Good news is I didn't spray both lids with the poo paint, so just used the satin porcelain white on the Stop That Ship and have just taken the masking off the main bits...a long way to go but here's some update pics...

Posted Image

Hey Ghost, I do really love what are you doing with these helmets :wub: . I am doing the same thing with another helmet but mine is ESB style. I'm Looking forward to se more progress.

Cheers

A