1:1 Droideka, yep thats what I'm building!

Launchpad

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s this few weeks worth of work. The final molds on the legs are waiting on the linear actuators before completion, but the shoulders and skins are starting to take shape. I’ve been working on the feet some, but not much more to show here but this is where I’m at as of now. Starting to look like one now. Huh? Later Mathew

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to follow later. :)

• 1 month later...

Ok all here is this months update. The wife is back from Iraq so I’ve been really busy. Spent 400 on the muscles (linear actuators) for the legs. 2 are installed and moving up and down. The third is waiting on more steel for the mods needed to install. All hips move forward and backward for taking steps. Only one leg has a foot right now due to a lack of steel around, maybe money issues too. LOL As soon as I have them somewhat synced together I’ll post a link to a you tube vid. The next step is to finish the feet for the other 2 legs, then actuators for them also. Soon, oh so very soon will I show full movement in all three legs. As it sits in its new cradle, it weighs about 95Lb. Not too bad huh?/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wish me luck! Later all!! Mathew

• 1 month later...

So.. It’s been a few days since I said I would post. For all of you that’s been keeping an eye on this thread, some of the pics are of the same pieces but have since been reworked. I have to admit that this is extremely nerve racking. When I go to make the following part and need to make a fit and look correct, I end up reworking the part that the new one fits into. Saying that, out of all the parts that you see, each one has been made at least 3 times each. I just want it to be right, right. Any way here are pics of the spine with remade parts and completed “private parts”. Still need to repaint the shield flaps. The other pics are of the molds for the fiberglass shells for the steel legs and I’m about to make a master set of molds for the feet. The pics show from design in foam to steel skeleton to actual shell. The mold for the spine is about to be complete also. Final step will be fitting the shells over the skeleton. More updates to come. Oh yea... the legs are starting to move. No sequence yet. I can’t wait. I would like to say that I am at 40% after only one year! I will finish this if I have to starve!!!

Actual

Posted Image

Mine

Posted Image

Actual

Posted Image

Mine

Posted Image

Actual

Posted Image

Mine

Posted Image

From design to mold of the main thigh...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will post more when the fitting of the shells is complete and the actual mold and shell of the spine are done!!! Yesssss!!!!!!!!! I would like to mention that one of our members in West Texas Squad poured the molds for the leg for me. Smooth on is awesome stuff!!! Thanks Dan and thanks all for you comments and support!!!!! Mathew

• 2 months later...

So again I’m sorry for such a long time between updates. I have been busy with trying to find work, or at least making a good effort at it. This economy sucks! Which is hindering the progress of this project also. To start where I left off, the spine mold material has been purchased and the master has been finished.

Posted Image

I think I have more time in the spine and upper chest than any other part.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I broke another compressor!

Posted Image

Thank god for a Dewalt warranty! Except I am still waiting on the replacement assembly. I had to take it apart and send it to them as the closest repair place is in Ft. Worth, TX ( a 3 hour drive), so I am doing everything by hand for the last month. Should be fixed in a week or so. There’s nothing like air powered tools!

I am also set back on the initial design for the legs as the actuator will not fit in the shell that I made. It has to be correct on the outside first, they are going to make the legs look too wide, so I am back to the drawing board on the skeleton as I need the power of the actuators that are in the pics (let alone the money for them).

Next is the upper chest progress, note the metal ruler for size reference.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now the prints for the back. Note again the yard stick for size reference.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats all for now. The next post should include a completed, very expensive, flexible spine exterior. All mold and cast material are from smooth-on. Expensive, but worth it. Oh, the mold for the feet is completed also. The empire for ever my fellow troopers!

Launchpad

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...