Sci-fire Screen Accurate Pauldrons

Sci-fire is working with Lee (sewing imperialoutfitters.net), Art (pushy boss/QC) and Gino (templates/QC). I, of course, am stuck with the autocad/laser cutting/goffer position. This position in the film industry is called a........ "PA". Anyway, two weeks ago, we started this project and made up a prototype first pass based on Gino's pattern. The pattern is really great right out of the gate. One of the most difficult parts we will be facing is the materials aspect.

The materials are crucial to making this pauldron look correct because it determines how much it will wrinkle, the amount of pillowing that shows in the quilting and how it "drapes". This was our first pass. I apologize about our model. Lee is ugly but he sews very well.

We, of course, started by converting the hand pattern, supplied by Gino, into an autocad format. This will allow us a few advantages.

1. Repeatability - In the cutting stage since these parts will be laser marked and cut. The marking marks where the stitch lines should go.

2. Speed - The laser cutting will allow Lee to spend his time sewing and not cutting.

Since this prototype, we have shopped the garment district in Los Angeles and brought back some really good vinyl test samples. We'll keep you updated.

Stage 1: Patterns

Posted Image

Stage 2: Prototype v1.0

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with the pouch run, this has been a great project to be involved in! I love working with Sci-Fire and having the inclusion of Gino is really helping us push things to the "next level." And John, is it "pushy" to want nothing less than perfection?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, we have a good way to go, but once we are done, I hope we will have a definitive piece that lacks nothing.

I just saw the pictures on your site, a few days ago.

And i like what i saw (its a beauty).

The pattern looks just right.

(e.g the 5 rooms go loger down to edge, vs. the 70´Hallman chest projector and standard 501st ones).

I can´t wait to see more.

Keep up the good work :) .

Wow. An incredible first pass. Crazy high quality workmanship.

I know its a prototype, but it appears in these photos that the main segment perhaps has too much padding. It seems so much more solidly built than the originals. No buckling. Or am I being over the top? :unsure:

these are sure to become the gold standard.

Thanks guys. Lee, Art and Gino are really the ones who are working on this thing. I'm just middle manning the project right now.

If you get a chance, check out Lee's site regularly. He is adding a bunch more stuff to his line of costume stuff he is doing.

He should be logging in here soon and getting his deployment after his TD number. Lee and Art made the screen accurate pouches for the run in December.

www.imperialoutfitters.net

I know its a prototype, but it appears in these photos that the main segment perhaps has too much padding. It seems so much more solidly built than the originals. No buckling. Or am I being over the top? :unsure:

You are right.... but please keep in mind, this was a first prototype, mostly to test Gino's overall pattern. This is NOT the material or the padding we expect to the be in the final pauldrons. As silly as it may sound... the final pauldrons will be a lot more crappy than this one... just like the originals Lee is still stuck on doing quality work, but don't you guys worry... we will break him from it and get him on the screen accurate kick if it kills us! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Copy that.

Maybe a bit too thick in the foam, but not much i think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On my own pauldron run used about 1,8 cm foam in my 5 black area room´s, and 0,8 cm in the ranks area.

(i will not make another run)

Posted Image

The hard part, is to find where the 5 black room´s area should end before the edge comes.

As far as i can see, not all of them ends at the same spot.

But i think that SF/Art/GINO, have made the pattern 5 room area in a nice spot.

My pattern:

Posted Image

SF/Art/GINO pattern:

(go longer down, to the edge)

Posted Image

I can´t wait to see more.

Cheers :) .

WOW!! A nice start! :blink:

@Rolf,for the pattern,can it be looked differ because of camera angle? So from Davin's picture it looked slighly more to the edge because of it? :)

And i agree with all,it must be looked more 'rough' :P cant wait to see it

WOW!! A nice start! :blink:

@Rolf,for the pattern,can it be looked differ because of camera angle? So from Davin's picture it looked slighly more to the edge because of it? :)

And i agree with all,it must be looked more 'rough' :P cant wait to see it

Copy that.

It might just be the angle.

Here they look very much a like:

Posted Image

The white still seems to be a bit longer down, in the 5 room area i think.

Not much, we are only talking mm here.

And i guess they was LFL art dept hand made, so there was a few mm difference between them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In a SW book, LFL claim that its was these ones we see in ANH.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The black one seems, pretty close (maybe its from the ANH, SE version).

The white one, looks wrong.

Hey everyone! Its me Lee that handsome devil wearing the pauldron prototype! Well I'm super excited about being part of this project! I'm liking all the reference pics being put up, they are a big help! So I'm just to throw in my two cents on the discussion about where the points of black and orange or black and white meet along the edge. To me it looks like the are all at the same point.... what seem to be moving is the tab with rivet. If the LFL Costuming Dept. did in fact make them, it would make sense that they would be from a pattern and wouldn't change that much from pauldron to pauldron. So were the variances would be, would be on the tab for the underarm strap....... unless they had a mark on the pattern for that tab.... that would just ruin my argument! :lol::lol: It just my take on that!