Color blue for backpack parts...

iconoclasta_88

guys,the blue parts on my pack is painted with humbrol #47

i believe that is what they used originally for the screen td packs! ;)

(although,i have found the shade varies from tin to tin occasionally ;) )

can you guys get humbrol paints in the u.s?????

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to primer my plastic. Im ready to paint my back pack & will do so on Monday. I'll head to Lowes & look for the Slate Blue by Rustoleum Tomorrow. I sanded all my plastic parts with coarse sandpaper, & will primer, then paint.:td:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

guys,the blue parts on my pack is painted with humbrol #47

i believe that is what they used originally for the screen td packs! ;)

(although,i have found the shade varies from tin to tin occasionally ;) )

can you guys get humbrol paints in the u.s?????

quote all, same paint with humbrol

Ola Guys,

a good friend told me (thanks mike, for the clue ;) ), that the RAL color 5014 fits very well.

After long search, I think that too.

RAL 5014- Posted Image

..and here the reference pic- Posted Image

But on other reference images, it looks the blue again different.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This blue would turn fit better...

RAL 5024-

Posted Image

Now, at my RAL-color panel is this blue dirtier.... :huh:

Uuuarrrrghh, i get headaches from it :6::icon_eek:

the colors seems really different because of the light sun, and other things like quality picture and more.

i think the most used color is sea blue humbrol 47 style.

the two colors that you showed are good i think, just a choice you have to do.

it is an old question, i think there ie not really the good answer, maybe one day we will can find a real pack and have the good color, but at now we only just compare with old and not better picture that we have.

• 5 months later...

I purchased me a Krylon fusion Satin Peekaboo blue today. I really like working with fusion and this color seems close to some of the ones you guys posted here so I might give it a go. What do you all think?

Posted Image

I've tried 2 cans of spray paint that I got that were designed for cars, and the lids looked pretty close to the lid of the humbrol no.47 tin I took along to compare. I tried Lada Adriatic Blue and Ford Wedgewood Blue (both from UK) and they were both very blue, not even close to what the lid showed and not even close to the Humbrol 47 I tested them against. I am resigned to painting my parts by hand with Humbrol I feel.

Nick

If you can get yourself a pair of humbrol 47 tins, I would say, go for it without hesitating. It is not as difficult as it sounds. Just paint with a brush and leave it for about 3 or 4 days to dry. Spray paint takes the same or more to properly cure. So...

And you get the accurate color.

There are a few other options one could try and maybe nail it, but this is the accurate one.

Saludos.

If you can get yourself a pair of humbrol 47 tins, I would say, go for it without hesitating. It is not as difficult as it sounds. Just paint with a brush and leave it for about 3 or 4 days to dry. Spray paint takes the same or more to properly cure. So...

And you get the accurate color.

There are a few other options one could try and maybe nail it, but this is the accurate one.

Saludos.

Thanks Juan. I was thinking this was the way to go. I was looking into getting an airbrush going but that was gonna cost me money. I have a model shop not too far away which sells the 50ml tins of 47 so I can easily do that.

Thanks mate.

Nick

I personally use the lake blue. It's really hard to find but it does come in a spray can. I feel it's a really close match to what I see on screen. I mist it with a primer gray color afterwards....I'm really happy with the results

• 8 months later...

I've been looking for the paint for the past few months here in South Carolina and finally found what was listed at the beginning of this topic as the 2nd best choice. I purchased the Rustoleun Satin Slate. It went on nicely but seems to have more of a gray-ish tint than blue to it? Has anyone used this color? I almost bought the Krylon Peekaboo Blue but it seemed to blue to me. I'm going to "dirty" the backpack anyhow....but i still want my parts to look good painted. I primed the seed trays and bottles in a regular gray primer first before doing the Satin Slate.

The Satin Slate is a good choice.

It was the standard a couple of years ago, since apparently the Country Blue was discontinued.

You should be fine for deployment no problem.

Anyway, this thread was a bit behind resent (and no so resent) findings... so the accurate color now is believed to be Humbrol 47.

Sorry for not updating this before.

Anyway... Satin Stale is fine too unless you want to go the uber accurate way, in which case I would suggest to get the Humbrol 47.

Sorry for any problems this issue could have cause.

Saludos

Juan

PD. I edited the first post with new info and clarifications.

I can't obtain Humbrol anywhere locally. Here is a pic of some of my parts painted w/ Rustoleum Satin Slate. I'm debating what to do. I'm worried they'll look too gray? In person you can see a small tint of blue in them. What you think? Should I find something else?

Posted Image

MM... they do look gray.

Weird... Could you post a picture in natural sunlight?

So we can see the real color?

Or is this it?

It does reminds me of the color of Mike H pack.

And, you might not know this, but his armor was the ultimate TD armor a few years ago. Same time that I started this thread as a rookie.

Mike, BTW, is the Sandtrooper you see on most Hasbro cards and packages.

post-0-0-20819800-1328135493_thumb.jpg

He is also our former DL and one of the main reasons this character took off and became so popular.

But hey... I am afraid that the character and its gear has evolved a lot since those days.

If you can get those pictures we will give a better more solid opinion.

:)

Saludos

It def looks grey in the pics but could be the lighting. I personally use the lake blue by rust o leum....you may be able to get the same effect by misting your color with a slightly bluer color. Lake blue is super hard to find but closest I've found in the states

Here's the can of Rustoleum Satin Slate Blue that I am using.

Posted Image

And although it's another picture taken inside...here's another taken from inside. I'll bring them outside tomorrow and will take a picture for you to give me your feedback. I am actually colorblind with certain shades of blues and a few other colors. So honestly I'm having a hard time seeing the best color choice to use. My wife says she can see the blue w/ gray tints.

Posted Image

Ya home depot will order the lake blue for you....I Know the humbrol is probably a little more accurate (never seen I close though) but the lake IMHO looks great and it's in a spray... ;)

Thanks. Home Depot is actually where I picked up this color. I think I may have to order that Lake Blue color if I can't get a good consensus on the current color I'm using. I just want my pack to look as close as I can get it

My pack is painted with Humbrol 47 and you can see how much more Blue it is than Grey.

Posted Image

I tried lots of different car spray paints in colours that looked right from the can, but they were too blue when I got them on. This blue, to me looks correct from the reference images.

Nick

Ya if you decide to, let me know....I'll shoot ya a pic of the barcode to make the order easier

That would be awesome. I'm just not satisfied w/ this Satin Slate Blue color. It's too gray for me. Also, can I see a pic of your pack to get an idea as to what Lake Blue looks like?

ok...here's a picture of the color I used (Rustoleum Satin Slate Blue) out in direct sunlight today.

Posted Image

And here is what the color looks like indoors or in artificial light

Posted Image

You can really see the blue in the sunlight. What should I do? Repaint w/ a different color? Keep what I have? It's really amazing how the blue comes out nicely in the natural sunlight rather than indoors. Does anyone else notice this on their backpacks?