what do ya think?

Ti4889

hi!

my name is randall , im TI4889 from the ohio garrison, ive always been a fan of the sandtrooper look, so.......here is my attempt to convert my kit to sandtrooper, what do ya think?...see pix.......

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rknightan ... ?.dir=9fbf

i'm open to all constructive critisism ...... * covers his head and hopes for the best *

thanks!.......the detail on the helmet was a major focus for the first few days ....its sportin' "hovi mic" tips, flat green lenses, grey teardrops and trapezoids ( no inner black lines) , blue tube stripes, a cut out and ventilated nose, and top front trapezoids ( which house custom mesh and fans) , and 3 fans....soon to add a gmrs radio.......i have done the ab plate, but not the knee , might buy one, who knows......

when i get home today i will let you know ( dont have it with me) ......i got it at walmart......easy stuff to work with , and if ya make a mistake?...water removes it easily..... after all my pieces are done i clear coat them with krylon satin/dull coat......comes out sooooooo nice.....and sandy .......

**tube stripes do look black in the pictures, but they are blue i assure you ....... .......those pics were taken with an 8 year old digital camera....casio qv-90

I have a new helmet and am making it Sandy and want to custom paint it instead of using decals.

What paints/colors did you use?

Testors Model Masters Flat Black

Humbrol #5 Gloss Admiralty Gray

When I did mine I laid down the black first and made the border of the area and then let it dry for 24 hours and then painted in the gray. that way you can choose how thick to make the black lines and it easyer to correct a mistake. Mask it out if you need to or dont have a steady hand.

sorry , got distracted due to work......yes thats what i used for the teardrops/trap's, testors flat black , then gunmetal grey.......to dirty the armor i used......from walmart craft section....."apple barrel colors" # 20778 - country tan craft paint........by PLAID ...comes in 2 oz bottles up to 1 pint.....bar code was 028995207785 ......its permanent , fast drying, and waterbased......cool thing is if ya mess up....ya wash it down and start over again......then when ya have the look ya want, ya just clear coat it ( dull coat) ........cheap , easy and very effective.....

Ok, I'm going to be kinda critical here. I'd say over all it looks good, Good color, etc but...

A little two uniform distribution. This is good for a first coating as it gives the long tearm weathered look over all. I usually use a combination of paint and goofoff to do this coat. It takes the shine off the ABS and gives it the sandy color.

No detail grime buildup. Looking at the belt section and the forearm sections the divits dents and corners should have a bit more "grime" buildup then the higher surfaces. Then the highest surfaces and edges should be almost clean from being rubbed clean.

It took me 6 months to figure out what I liked the best and I do have to say that you did a much better job then my first attempt. Now I've helped a couple of others get dirty and have kinda got it down pretty well.

Yeah, it's okay to have some clean spots , tempera and acrylic paint will both wear off as you use your armor. So, if you go a little haevy at first, they'll wear off a bit. If it's a permanent paint, you can go back and sand it off. I'd be wary of taking off all of the shine though, the troops in ANH were still shiny under the dirt.

i appreciate all the comments and opinions........

i plan to go thru and add more heavy grime build up to the corners, divits, ect......

ya'll think i made a mistake sanding down the armor with 600 grit paper before i started this?......it dulled down the plastic SIGNIFIGANTLY .....and i think it looks good , but several of the local guys say its wayyyyy too flat....and it should be shiny under the dirt.....

Take it from a trooper deployed in the Dune Sea. To look right you have to get rid of the shine. I spent extra time making sure mine and all the ones I've help other do to take off the shine and make it look worn.

Here is a recent picture of my bucket.

Posted Image

Click here for more

Here's me and Kris, he didn't get his stripped of shine quite as much as mine

Posted Image