SU Backpack Breakdown

Art Andrews

Well... I believe just a week ago I told John I definitely would NOT do this... but ever since I said it, it has been on my mind, so tonight I went through my ref and IDed the 5 packs seen in the movie. I have thrown together a very rough page, giving the descriptions of each pack. I hope to refine this, add detail and more images and hopefully this will be able to be used as a guide for future people who would like to make their own pack based off one of the packs seen on screen. An suggestions or corrections would be greatly appreciated. This page is not meant to be a be-all-end-all reference, but is meant to help people ID the different packs so they won't be confused and can focus on the specific pack they want to build.

Rough-edit Sandtrooper Backpacks Webpage

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I believe just a week ago I told John I definitely would NOT do this... but ever since I said it, it has been on my mind, so tonight I went through my ref and IDed the 5 packs seen in the movie. I have thrown together a very rough page, giving the descriptions of each pack. I hope to refine this, add detail and more images and hopefully this will be able to be used as a guide for future people who would like to make their own pack based off one of the packs seen on screen. An suggestions or corrections would be greatly appreciated. This page is not meant to be a be-all-end-all reference, but is meant to help people ID the different packs so they won't be confused and can focus on the specific pack they want to build.

Wow thanks for doing this!!

Great break down, but I am shocked you don't like the SE (pause)

ahhhhh who am I kidding everyone hates that **** thing

Anyway thanks again!

can i mention about the pack #4 art? :mellow: hehehehee :D

on top left seems it was somekind of tube,and 'hose' on top connected to the left 'laboratory' pipe

Posted ImagePosted Image

Heres the same pack with the top left 'details' still complete...... :unsure: i think,because the mortar tube looks the same>>equaly trimmed detonator plate,minus the top cap,'wonky' and no black circular base on the radar

Posted Image

............................................................or the 'hose' is acctually................ the pack frame itself? :P

Pappy

That looks like the top of the pack frame to me mate :D

The other thing I noticed about pack #4 was that it seems to have some loose

part hanging off on the right side edge, near the top of the burger stackers.

I can't seem to match it up to other parts shown on the other packs, :blink:

any ideas?

Posted Image

yeah i thought so too bill :P ...oh man i cant add hose then :P

which one that is hanging sir? all i see is E-11 from the trooper behind him.................. :blink:

oh...and one thing about this pack : the bottom trays are acctually the one with only 3 'lines' that most use for the top trays......and check out the 'greeblies' on the right side of the top trays

Posted Image

The "toilet" detail is what's called a Cistern Syphon and it includes the bellows/corrugated part. Folks have been buying modern ones and replacing the bellows part with a Tupperware Hamburger stackers and a vac-fomed dome I came up with. So far, no one has found the original Cistern, but a few came very close. I think "Jack 1970s" got one imported and it looked identical but it was way too big.

Also, the bottom hanging detail is what we refer to as a "Bee Stinger". A Cold Weather Faucet cover, bought at Home Depot for less than $2.00 will substitute perfectly. I made a small vac-formed detail to add the dome at the very bottom.

Too cool Art, thanks for doing this.

Is it John from the sci-fire staff, if so they might do a new version back pack for sale in the future.

There marmit 12" replica full size pack, was very A+ marmit accurate made.

I don´t know, how many different version we have in ANH.

If we also count, the small difference on them.

Here the move a long back pack, but this time whit out the black tape on the blue seed trades box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here the move a long back pack again, but this time both seed trades boxes are black (the captain trooper to the left).

Posted Image

And here again, in the alley check up.

But this time the 1 box, out of 4 is blue.

And whit the so called sergeant stick on he´s left side, of the back pack scout frame (the captain to the right).

Posted Image

Cheers :) .

Thanks for the details guys! I will be adding them and more pics as we go. As TD-252 pointed out, the packs definitely change over the course of the shoot, but I don't want to consider them a "new pack" due to the changes, but simply point out those changes, so people aren't confused in thinking they are seeing additional packs when they are not. Please keep the info coming!

As TD-252 pointed out, the packs definitely change over the course of the shoot, but I don't want to consider them a "new pack" due to the changes, but simply point out those changes, so people aren't confused in thinking they are seeing additional packs when they are not.

Agreed with that sir! :salute:

so......noboby knew 'bout #4's top right side greeblies? :unsure:

Oh no.... I knew I didn't want to do this. As I am sure most of you know, the shoulder pouch is a part of the pack, not a separate part of the sandtrooper costume. My favorite pack is the one I have labeled Pack #5, the pack with the weird cylindrical corrugated air filter on the upper left side and the stow-n-go tupperware container on the left. My favorite pouch is of course the canvas pouch with the small tool pouch. Well, this may not be news to some of you, but from what I can see, the canvas pouch is associated with Pack #3 (the one most people build) in every scene I have looked at. While different troopers wear the pack, whoever is wearing it always has the canvas pouch on it which only solidifies my belief that the shoulder pouch is an integral part of the pack and weren't swapped around from pack to pack. :( Now I have to make a decision on a pack... go with Pack #5 (because I love the pack) or go with Pack #3 (because I love the pouch). And no.. I don't want to play mix and match... Grrrr...

...:( Now I have to make a decision on a pack... go with Pack #5 (because I love the pack) or go with Pack #3 (because I love the pouch). And no.. I don't want to play mix and match... Grrrr...

So you're building up a new Sandtrooper? Who's armor are you going with?

So you're building up a new Sandtrooper? Who's armor are you going with?

With some of the projects that are under way, I am giving it heavy consideration. If I do build another sandtrooper in the near future, it will be more of a test project than a final version. My first set of armor was already partially assembled and with all the new info and photo ref that has been made available lately I would like to build a suit from the ground up, testing some of the original building methods and styles in preparation for making a final suit at some point. I am sure a lot of mistakes will be made with this one, but hopefully I will learn enough that when I make my final suit, I will be happy with it. A sandtrooper is a hefty commitment so I really want to think about this a bit before I commit to it, but I am getting more and more excited by the minute.

LOL. I thought I was bad.....Art.....lol.....I don't know what to say. I am actually cracking up at the turmoil. Just do a Sandtrooper. Make the final perfect one until the next time. That's living buddy. That's what it's all about.

Hey you guys! Merry Christmas!!!

Posted Image

Only 5 made... i guess it makes sense.

Thanks for digging that up, i guess i have to do all 5 then :lol: .

I have a few questions.

# 5 is the so called sergeant pack, but also wear by the captains.

Posted Image

# 2 is the so called captain pack, but also used by the look sir droids trooper (left in side pic).

Posted Image

# 3 is the easy one, the captain aka move a long pack.

Posted Image

# 4 is a private pack, see here (left side).

Posted Image

# 1 One more so called private pack (right side pic).

Posted Image

I´m not 100% about if i´m right about # 1, 2, 4 packs.

But guess so, the pack i´m most unsure about is # 2.

Cheers :) .

i guess i have to do all 5 then :lol: .

:laser: nail all those suckers down rolf :lol:

hey i think i got to post it in here too

Posted Image

Hope it'll not complicate things :P

This dune captain just missed his top mortar cap

Posted ImageRolf's pouch :P

Pack #4 dont have that black 'thingy' on the radar