In search of the perfect canvas shoulder pouch

i always asked myself which weapons were used in Tunisia during this time period of the MP38/40.

maybe the prop guys bought this (or even all of the pouches) right before filming on a tunisian market?!

I can certainly see where you are coming from in this regard and you might be right that the pouch is an original. However, I would disagree that it was bought in Tunisia. John Mollo calls for "German Triple Pouches" in his original sandtrooper concept artwork. They weren't a last minute decision but decided on from the onset. I think the fact that we now believe the leather pouches were replicas further proves this point. However, as you said, the canvas pouch may have been a real pouch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to agree that the set-used mp-40 canvas pouch was almost certainly an original. In 1976 they were insanely cheap and easy to get. The WWII reenactor and collector markets which exploded in the 90's did away with all of that. The problem you are having with finding the perfect match to the on-screen version is

#1) there were numerous manufacturers for the Wehrmacht making these things all through the war with production processes and values constantly degrading until the end in 1945. This leads to a WIDE variety of all sorts of manufacturing differences just coming out of the factories (if you are wondering why some have the D-ring in the corner as opposed to coming from the side... this is the pre-war style, largely made for the MP-38). So even if you score an original, chances are you would have to alter it (please don't do this!)

#2) there is not one modern replica maker that makes a perfect replica of any of these vast varieties of war-time pouches. There is always some little detail that is wrong. For instance, the pic of the set you have as 'high-end' at a whopping $228 (way too much for any replica imho) has side stamping on the leather straps. They didn't do this during WWII. This is a post war thing only. It ain't correct.

Additionally, the real pouches were actually used in a war. I suspect the long strap on the reloader pouch (the small pouch held the mag reloading tool) of the sceen-used one was quite possibly a field repair by a soldier who actually used these pouches and entrusted his life to their proper function (the MP40 was notoriously unreliable in cold weather). Field repairs are very common features on these things. Or maybe it was an 'on-set repair.' Either one of those scenarios are more likely than a scratch built ammo pouch replica.

I think the best you can do is get one of your 'middle ground' sets and make alterations to suit the needs of on-screen accuracy. The military tour ones are quite good for replicas. You can also try hessenantique.com. I do not recommend the IMA version. They are not very accurate. And stay away from that czech stuff on ebay. Bad, bad, bad.

Oh, by the way, there was no special tan version of the MP-40 ammo pouch used in Africa like you see for sale these days. This is a fantasy item. There were indeed special pouches made for 'tropical use' which saw action in Africa, but these were made in olive green canvas and had straps made of webbing, not leather. And they certainly were not tan canvas. All types were used in the North Africa Campaign, not just the tropical type. Since the Axis occupied Tunisia until the last of the DAK surrendered there in 1943, it is possible the prop crew could've found Mp40 pouches floating around on location to use in addition to what they brought, although, I would agree, probably not likely for the prop -- though it is not entirely implausible. I have a friend who spent some time in Tunisia back in the 70's and he said there was still a crap load of Axis hardware still sitting around back then.

I sir :salute: you,I've rad so many books about german's sturmtruup,rommel,engineering,but so little I knew 'bout all of it.

Did'nt noticed if several repros are maybe had some 'modifications',because we don't had a good and reliable links for documentations,and looks like you knew all about it

Do you have the closest possibility pouch that is close enough from the screen used pouch? :)

• 3 months later...

Just thought I let everybody know that IMA got the green canvas MP40 pouches on sale this weekend, marked down from USD $29.95 to USD $22.50 a set. They are far from perfect, but look pretty decent in my opinion. Seem to be made from moderately heavy canvas, has metal knobs and a short strap on the small tool pouch:

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/325

...Not perfect, but a far more screen accurate than many of the alternatives for a shoulder pouch Ive been considering, and at a reasonable price. I just ordered a set myself, although overseas shipping was pretty steep at approx. USD $30.

EDIT: Added picture

Posted Image

As to the color of these pouches: The Norwegian army used green canvas pouches when I did my conscripted service a few years back, but many of them had turned from the original army olive green to a much darker shade, almost black, due to many years of service, getting drenched in mud and dirt and weapons oil. If the pouches used in ANH were original WWII pouches, this might explain why the color appear to be so dark, instead of a brighter olive green or drab color.

Ray, where did that pouch come from? It looks pretty good!

I've bought this one a while ago from our trooper Rolf !

But i've founded a local military dumpstore back here who might sell them !!

I can take more and better pictures if you like ?! Or get one at the dumpstore !?

Grtz RAY

I've bought this one a while ago from our trooper Rolf !

But i've founded a local military dumpstore back here who might sell them !!

I can take more and better pictures if you like ?! Or get one at the dumpstore !?

Grtz RAY

I would be very interested to see if you can find the same one. That one actually looks pretty good!

I would be very interested to see if you can find the same one. That one actually looks pretty good!

Okidoki m8. I will go to the dumpstore tomorrow...if they have not...

it's no problem for me to send you this one for using as example or something :) !

I will make some more pics within a few hours...i'm first off to the swimmingpool B) !

Btw the one i showed back here looks thicker as it's filled up to look like there are ammo magazines in it !!

Grtz RAY

The green ones are on sale now at IMA...

This weekend only by all accounts...

Correct m8..but please note that these are other versions as the one i have !

But you can stiff them up and dey them black though !

Though my version is also not maybe the correct one ?! When you look at the ammo pouche of the Move Along trooper you can clearly see that his little poche

is hanging almost to the end of the right !

Posted Image

Grtz RAY

pm sent i too am interested if you find some sir!

Hi sir,

i will do the best i can :) . But it all depends on the Dumpstore back here !

Please understand i can't make promises bro's !

Also maybe our bro Rolf can tell even more cause i've bought this one a while ago from him B) !

Grtz RAY

The green ones are on sale now at IMA...

This weekend only by all accounts...

I have a pair of these I use for reenacting. That is a decent price, but let me delineate what is wrong with these pouches so you understand what the cheaper price is getting you:

- There is extra stitching on the straps creating a square shape where the straps attach to the top flaps. The stitching should instead create an inverted U shape, not a square.

- The D rings on these things are some sort of nickel plated monstrosities. Way too thick & rounded and too shiny. Should be made of steel. Same goes for the strap keepers... nickel plated - they are too bulky and shiny compared to originals.

- The reloader pouch is stitched on the wrong edge compared to the version in the ANH scene. It will have to be removed and reattached to the proper edge so it overlaps with the mag pouches rather than hanging off the end on its own.

The one saving grace to these IMA reproductions is that they actually are big enough to fit real mp-40 magazines, unlike, surprisingly, many of the repros now on the market which are too small. Boggles the mind.

I just bought these puches from IMA (will be arriving tomorrow). I know they are not accurate but they will work fine till I find or make accurate ones.

I think some mods would be in order anyway...

-Remove the bottom line of the square stitching in the flaps. (maybe ill need to re-stitch it again)

-Moving of the small pouch.

-Replace the D rings for some steel ones or something, maybe I can find something in a fleamarket.

-Sand and "damage" the strap holders, maybe they will rust.

-Wash them in hot water and some kind of detergent to make them look old, and let them dry with a wood block inside.

-Not dye but maybe just darken the green canvas with oil, paint and mud. (this will be tricky)

-Weather them with hairspray and dust.

-And at the end, maybe leave them a few days in direct sunlight.

I hope this will make them look more accurate. Havent heard of something like this, but I think it would be like making it go through a pouches lifetime in a few weeks... LOL

Saludos...

Just want to let you know my pouches from IMA arrived today, and even if they are not that accurate, I thought it would be interesting to let you know that have made some improvements (at least from picture on the site).

The square stitching is gone, and replaced with a rectangular inverse U stitching. Pretty cool surprise for me.

Still, the small tool pocket is in the wrong place and the D ring is not that great.

They are way better than expected and very happy for now.

here is a picture:

Posted Image

Saludos...

Hi sir,

i will do the best i can :) . But it all depends on the Dumpstore back here !

Please understand i can't make promises bro's !

Also maybe our bro Rolf can tell even more cause i've bought this one a while ago from him B) !

Grtz RAY

We'll i've been to the dumpstore yesterday. At the moment they don't have the version as i do have.

BUT...they get alot of stuff within a week and they think there will be different kind of ammo pouches also !

Fingers crossed !!

Grtz RAY

• 3 weeks later...

i´d say it´s dark green.

i think we cannot be 100% sure but i studied a whole bunch of screengrabs, even experimented with photoshop and to me it looks like a dark green.