In search of the perfect canvas shoulder pouch

OK, since John and crew have been so kind as to provide us with the leather pouches we have needed for so long, it is time to look at the canvas shoulder pouch again.

Unfortunately, today is going to be a very hectic day for me, so I am going to be a bit limited on this initial post but here is a quick rundown of my assessment of the pouch. Feel free to correct any of my assumption you feel are out of line.

1) I believe there was only ONE canvas shoulder pouch and it was passed around between the troopers between scenes. I haven't seen any evidence of more than one at a time on screen, even when we see all 6 sandtroopers together.

2) I tend to believe this pouch MAY have been a replica. Why? Really only two things, and both aren't really great reasons. The first is that we now believe the leather pouches were replicas... I know... doesn't hold much water. My second reason has to do with the little 4th pouch. The strap on the 4th pouch is totally absurd in length and I have never seen a real or replica pouch with a strap like that. It actually looks to me that a strap similar to the straps on the 3 main pouches was used to make the strap for the little tool pouch. This leads me to believe the whole pouch was either replicated or modified. I can't imagine why the art department would bother modifying that one detail, which leads me back to believing the pouch was replicated in whole. Still not very convincing evidence, but there it is.

3) IF the pouch is replicated, they did a very good job, using similar materials and techniques. Again, IF replicated, they did a much better job on the canvas pouch than the leather pouches.

4) Real pouches. A real set of canvas MP40 pouches, in decent shape, can easily run up to $400... fairly cost prohibitive. In addition, if you bought a set, you would need to destroy the 2nd pouch by removing one of the long pouch straps and attaching it to the little tool pouch on the other set of pouches...

5) Most of the replicas available are just crap. Poor quality, build inconsistent to an original, thin material, straps that are way too wide, etc, etc. There are a few very high end replicas out there but they command very high $$$ as well. I would like to slowly start picking some of these up and reviewing them for accuracy. I have pretty much discounted every replica I have seen on eBay as simply not being accurate enough for our purposes.

Here is the lowest end set I am looking at:

Posted Image

It is the TS-25. MP-40 TRIPLE AMMO POUCHES from www.totls.com and are $50 a set.

Here are two contenders that I think are middle of the road:

Posted Image

This is the AGED GERMAN MP38/40 MAGAZINE POUCH SET GREEN from www.militarytour.com and is $85 a set.

And similarly (but I think slightly less accurate and more expensive)

Posted Image

This is the MP40 POUCH SET GREEN CANVAS from www.militarytour.com and is $150 a set.

Here is the top of the line and the pouches I feel best match what we see on screen:

Posted Image

This is the BTS-H016 WWII German Ammo Pouches from www.by-the-sword.com and are $228 a set.

OK, that is all I have time for right now. Please feel free to give me your thoughts and ideas.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might be right.

The ww2 german canvas MP40 pouch whit the extra tool box on, comes in many different looks/clours, blue, green, sand.

And all whit different dots, flaps, wide/ some a few mm bigger them others.

Some have no flap on the tool pouch, some only a dot.

Some have a - string on the tool box, so you can add the flap in there.

Some other pouches don´t, have it.

Some pouches, have the tool box sew on the side.

Others in the middle of # 3 pocket/ of the pouch.

Some have square canvas ends, others have cut there ends.

Some have only a metal ring in the right corner, others have a leather string coming out whit the metal ring in etc etc...

i guess i have seen over 50 different versions, of the ww2 german canvas MP40 pouch whit the extra tool box on.

I have been through a few, before i found the one for me.

Here you see him, in the upper right corner.

Posted Image

ww2 german canvas MP40 pouch whit the extra tool box on

Its a little expensive, but also the best replica i have seen.

The look sir droids have that side string, coming out as i got on my pouch as well.

But you can´t see it on the move a long pouch, maybe its there.

Most of the shots, are taken from the left side of him.

I think they might used this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-WWII-MP38-40-Am...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Here is the link to mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GERMAN-ARMY-WWII-WW2-R...p3286.m20.l1116

Here you see the 3 different colours.

The blue is for the ww2 german air battle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GERMAN-WW2-LUFTWAFFE-M...p3286.m63.l1177

Green for the ground battle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GERMAN-ARMY-WW2-MP40-A...p3286.m63.l1177

Sand for the battle in africa:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-German-Tropical-Ca...p3286.m20.l1116

Here a pouch, to show the difference i have been talking about.

Whit the cut ends, and tool box on the side etc..

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHMEISSER-2-POUCHES-W...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Cheers :)

Nice ref pic.

The green looks good, but i have the metal ring in the right corner.

The ANH one have it coming out from the upper side, in a leather string.

Also the the tool box in the ANH one, don´t look square a like.

But a bit more slim, and the edges do not look cut.

I will take some shots of mine asap, and put him on.

I think he match the ANH one pretty good...

Cheers :) .

hehe,acctually its not mine :D its the one that braksbuddy want to review

your pouch is the closest i think rolf,the small pouch's flap loop is long and the metal pin's loop on the correct position,i edited my post above ^

Thanks bro.

I have search eaby for years, and i have been through a few pouches before this one.

I´m pretty happy for it, but i will all ways upgrade if a better one pops up.

Thanks bro.

I have search eaby for years, and i have been through a few pouches before this one.

I´m pretty happy for it, but i will all ways upgrade if a better one pops up.

I must say the one with the small toolbox I bought from you a while ago comes very close to that too.. :unsure:

I must say the one with the small toolbox I bought from you a while ago comes very close to that too.. :unsure:

Copy that bro.

The pouch i sold to you, was my second favorite i have seen.

Its was cheaper then this one here, but all most just as good :) .

Wow. The new pic you posted makes your pouch look a lot closer to the original than the pic you have of it with all the other pouches. Hmmm... I still think there is something going on with the strap on the small tool pouch that I haven't seen in any replica or original.

My question is, how is that fourth smaller pouch attached??? On all the repros, it's just sewn attached at the far edge. But on the screen-used one, it's over lapping the third longer Magazine pouch, but kinda hanging on the edge. Assuming these were made specifically for this production, perhaps they were just lazy about how they attached it? Makes me want to tear mine off and do the same.

TD-252, can you take a photo of your pouch and try to match this angle?

Posted Image

Sure thing Art.

I can post a pic, around the 25 dec ;) .

I fill it up whit cardboard, and hand paint it whit black humbrol paint.

I used some light sand paper for the metal dots, to show more silver and get the paint off them.

I also lightly touch the pouch whit the sand paper, to give it a old and used look.

The humbrol method, is good.

It hold the pouch solid and stiff, in the shape it dry up when the cardboard is taken out again.

And it don´t leave colour, on your suit either.

But back to the ANH shot, i will take a shot.

But my tool box, is not fallen down like a squeeze thing like the ANH one.

Because of the cardboard, and humbrol method i used on it.

My question is, how is that fourth smaller pouch attached??? On all the repros, it's just sewn attached at the far edge. But on the screen-used one, it's over lapping the third longer Magazine pouch, but kinda hanging on the edge. Assuming these were made specifically for this production, perhaps they were just lazy about how they attached it? Makes me want to tear mine off and do the same.

Mine is sew on the middle spot of the last pocket, not on the side :) .

hmmm,now im convinced,both are the same,felth and terrik,if its only one pouch used,it could be a real military pouch regarding theres only one,un like the wien stollas

Its a thick canvas,with thinner canvas on the small pouch?.........clue? Rolf,is your small pouch can hang 'loose' like that?

hmmm,now im convinced,both are the same,felth and terrik,if its only one pouch used,it could be a real military pouch regarding theres only one,un like the wien stollas

Its a thick canvas,with thinner canvas on the small pouch?.........clue? Rolf,is your small pouch can hang 'loose' like that?

I definitely think there was only one pouch and I believe it is entirely possible that it is an original pouch. The only thing that seems to differentiate it from the original pouches I have seen is the length of the strap on the small tool pouch.

The German MP40 ww2 africa krops dak pouch replica, i got...

The canvas is the same thickness all over, both on all 3 pockets and tool box is the same canvas/thickness.

The more I look at these caps, I believe the small tool pouch's flap has the long triangular shape but the bottom part is tucked back under itself and the strap (which I am convinced more than ever was not originally on there. I believe the shape of the flap is the same as the one seen on the bythesword website although other details clearly are not accurate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I took a few this morning (sorry the angle is not 100%).

Here you go :) :

I took the leather straps out, of the holding leather horizontal like the ANH one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you also talk about, the canvas area don´t comes down over the tool box square a like.

I do on the 3 pockets, but not on the tool box.

There the sides, goes more point down.

Also here.

Posted Image

If the pictures are not tip top, i can take some new ones.

Just let me know.

As you also talk about, the tool box string looks strange here.

Twisted and evil :lol: .

Posted Image

Merry christmas :D .

i doubt the pouch was a replica pouch because it would have been much to time consuming to produce a single replica pouch while these pouches were quite easy to find and even by far cheaper then nowadays.

i second the opinion that there was just one of these 3+1 pocket pouches used and IMO there were and maybe still are a lot more mp38/40 pouches available in the time between WW1 and 1976.

the machine pistol was used in several countrys but i assume each country produced their own pouches.

i always asked myself which weapons were used in Tunisia during this time period of the MP38/40.

maybe the prop guys bought this (or even all of the pouches) right before filming on a tunisian market?!

we know that for example the backpacks were build in the UK before they went to tunisia for filming. but couldn´t it be that while testshooting the sandtrooper scenes the pouches were added for more details or lost pouches were replaced with local found pouches?

(correct me if i´m wrong since i don´t own the "Making of Star Wars" book yet)