Reproduction MP-40 Pouch Sets

It seems kinda strange to me that the LFL prop department would bother with trimming the ends of the flaps; Perhaps a vintage Stolla was already a rare find back then...Seems more sensible to me that they would choose to make them themselves. Either that, or the pouches are of a make not yet identified. Either way, I can´t wait to see the end result! I´d definitely be in for one!

These definitely aren't trimmed Stolla Weins. The more we are discovering, the more we are confirming these almost HAD to be production made. The flaps are riveted to the body! How many original pouches have you seen like that? Like John said, must have been a rush and they just whipped these up! :D We are working on a series of corrections right now. Can't wait to see the next prototype!!!

Looks like Stolla Weins that I thought I would have forever, will be up for sale soon!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the off-topic tangent.

I was following the thread on the RPF where Brian Muir (who sculpted the original stormtrooper armor among other things) posted his recollections and screen shots of armor test footage from 1976. This led to more researching and discussion of the armor and helmet that is all incredibly interesting. The thread is in the middle of a many page long thread titled "AA case begins" Actually reading the case decision by the judge in the AA court case is a fascinating Star Wars read as well.

Here's a link to the RPF thread. Depending on your preferences the new info starts on about page 80 I think. For me it's page 20.

There's also a smaller thread here with the screen caps, in general discussion I believe.

Thanks for the link ;) .

Much knowledge in those pages, for sure.

Nothing, about the pouches.

But much about the history, of our TK/TD suits.

I read from page 81 to 120 :blink: .

But nice info for sure.

I try to cut, my forums down.

So i don´t use too much time, on the computer.

I have post on rpf, propden, nordicgarrison, fisd and mepd.

I´m mostly only in here, because of time.

So thanks for the look out.

Cheers :D .

the question is,if they're in a rush and had budget limitations(to buy many wien stolla's) at that time, why LFL bother to make the pouch so 'detailed' like: added the wien stolla's funky flap contour instead making the easier straight shaped flap? is the wien stolla pouches so popular?

:pint1: hey its beer time!! :lol:

Well, this is all theory but the thing is this....

You are looking at the pouches as a particular project but they are really just a small piece of something that the wardrobe or prop department had to deal with. It's not the production company dealing with it. It's an individual who was told to make 16 of these pouches by tonight because they shoot tomorrow morning at 6am. As that individual, you do what you are told. They didn't have the internet where they could look up MP40 pouches and find more on google. They probably has a couple different styles that they were showing as samples. They did the bare minimum of construction on this production which is very common on low budget films.

Nowadays, we do a ton of manufacturing for film and television. Much more than you guys even imagine. On the CSI shows, for example, when you see a close up of a Q-tip being dragged across a credit card. If they didn't do it in post production CG then we probably built it 10x size including the Q-tip.

All I'm saying is that there are no definates in this yet but there is nothing that supports that these pouches were an off-the-shelf military pouch either. These pouches are very poor quality construction and quite frankly really poorly designed. There are rivets holding the flaps on that really should have been sewn and are sewn on all of the other MP40 pouches we've seen.

Exactly as Art has said, they are definately not even a modified Stolla Wien or Norwegian pouch. They are either yet another make of pouch or a

Take a look...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well as at least one of the guys has a quite warlike MP40 style pouch I guess they

looted some of a former WWII movie productions. It's not uncommon to lend props

from other productions so that is where some of the real or authentic stuff may

have come from including the weapons. I doubt they spent much time on replicating

pouches those days.

But of course that's just me never having spoken to any of the SW prop veterans or

having read their books or articles.

So along that line of thinking maybe these pouches originated from a WWII production that had thrown together some German pouches for extras and the Star Wars production simply re-used them.

That is entirely possible. The overall point we are making, and this isn't fact, just our hypothesis based on what we have seen of the construction, is that these pouches appear to be production made, not original MP40 pouches. Who knows... maybe LFL got them from bapty along with the guns from another production.

That is entirely possible. The overall point we are making, and this isn't fact, just our hypothesis based on what we have seen of the construction, is that these pouches appear to be production made, not original MP40 pouches. Who knows... maybe LFL got them from bapty along with the guns from another production.

Seeing the evidence, especially those rivets on the flaps! it seems very likely.

This is the pouch as it stands right now on prototype #5. The forming blocks are still inside so it is a little nicer than it should be.

In this view, you can see the small raw leather tab on the side that we think had a purpose at one point.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the back of the pouch as we think it should be. Notice the strap and the rivets. We've spaced the rivets as they are in the movie. The rivets will be black on the final pouches.

Posted Image

This is the strap as it has been turned around 180 degrees. We have put the snap on the strap yet but we think this may be what it's original intent was.

Posted Image

Changes for Prototype #6:

1. The shape of the flaps will be slightly more dulled and rounded.

2. The flaps will be 1/4" shorter per autocad.

3. The bottoms of the pockets will be a tad sloppier

4. Post holes to be corrected.

5 Thinner leather overall except for the back plate

Well, I think after these next couple changes, we will be pretty much there. Seriously, Art has been super through this whole thing. I've talked to that guy on the phone more than I've talked to my family. He has a great eye for this sort of thing and it was actually a fun project. I like doing stuff like this.

Final Prototype to come Monday night...

BTW. This pouch was dyed a super dark brown... It looks mostly black but in the right light, it appears to have a slight brownish tint to it.

This is the pouch as it stands right now on prototype #5. The forming blocks are still inside so it is a little nicer than it should be.

In this view, you can see the small raw leather tab on the side that we think had a purpose at one point.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the back of the pouch as we think it should be. Notice the strap and the rivets. We've spaced the rivets as they are in the movie. The rivets will be black on the final pouches.

Posted Image

This is the strap as it has been turned around 180 degrees. We have put the snap on the strap yet but we think this may be what it's original intent was.

Posted Image

Changes for Prototype #6:

1. The shape of the flaps will be slightly more dulled and rounded.

2. The flaps will be 1/4" shorter per autocad.

3. The bottoms of the pockets will be a tad sloppier

4. Post holes to be corrected.

5 Thinner leather overall except for the back plate

Looking good.

And sounds great, whit the # 1 to 5 version next time.

Maybe do the stripes on the back, like this:

ll.

So it fit over belt, for trooping.

And not like:

//.

Like now.

# 1 whit the more round flaps next time, will give the right ANH pouch look.

Cheers :)

Okay. Well....I all for making it easier for you guys to mount these things. The upper pouch will need diagonal straps for you to mount it properly. I didn't use strap on mine, I actually used snaps to mount it to the armor. The belt pouch is no problem and obvious.

This is what I did on my Stolla Wein's.... just undid the sewing and reriveted them straight so they would fit on the stormtrooper belt.

Posted Image

Thanks Buddy.

I might do the same, on mine.

Or leave them as they are, and use the new ones from you and sci-fire crew asap.

Cheers :) .

Okay. Well....I all for making it easier for you guys to mount these things. The upper pouch will need diagonal straps for you to mount it properly. I didn't use strap on mine, I actually used snaps to mount it to the armor. The belt pouch is no problem and obvious.

John, can you post a pic of your snap placement on your armor please. This is a great idea as I'm sick and tired of my pouches sliding down my pack strap and turning sideways.

Thanks.