Paitbrush?

Nemo

Hey all,

I was wondering if any one had experiance with using paintbrush for weathering? I have done quite a few things on my cars and stuff. And i thought that it might be usefull for weathering to B)

Hey there bro'..

Airbrushing can be used for the weathering but bear in mind that you definitely don't use enamel like paints.

Personally I'm not a big fan of doing it with an airbrush, maybe because I don't have the skills <_<

And using the woodland items is easy to do as well and you can take it off easily.

But hey, it's all up to you..I always say that weathering is a personal thing.

See you soon but 1st enjoy the vacation!! B)

Ok thx for all answers.

td-252 I have seen and read these tutorials but was just wondering if airbrush could be used B)

scuba-trooper out :salute:

Copy.

Just use cloth, or foam etc to add it on.

And then dap it off, here and there whit a little hot water on it ;) .

Posted Image

:huh: well i guess with the correct combinations of colours (flat earth, desert yellow etc) you actually can use airbrush to get the sand effect But make sure the nozzel to the brush is not working properly... :blink: ... yip.. thats what i said..Not working properly. Thats what i did to weather my backpack.

I'm no expert but 2 ways to get the 'sand drops' effect on any surface is by either incorrect dillution of the paints OR if the nozzle of the brush is not working properly (dirty nozzle, cracks on the nozzle body, needle bent etc). Try it on a piece of paper prior to spraying. I did mine with a dirty old nozzle with a bend needle. Like I said I'm no expert..but if you still want the info on this.. i could look it up for you. :)

:D my turn to say this... we're all here to help :lol:

:huh: well i guess with the correct combinations of colours (flat earth, desert yellow etc) you actually can use airbrush to get the sand effect But make sure the nozzel to the brush is not working properly... :blink: ... yip.. thats what i said..Not working properly. Thats what i did to weather my backpack.

I'm no expert but 2 ways to get the 'sand drops' effect on any surface is by either incorrect dillution of the paints OR if the nozzle of the brush is not working properly (dirty nozzle, cracks on the nozzle body, needle bent etc). Try it on a piece of paper prior to spraying. I did mine with a dirty old nozzle with a bend needle. Like I said I'm no expert..but if you still want the info on this.. i could look it up for you. :)

:D my turn to say this... we're all here to help :lol:

Thx Gungrave, I already have some experiance painting dessert landscapes with my airbrush, and I have some very good ideas how to do it. But the idea about a "broken" nozzle was new to me. I usualy just use the "water technic" when doing sand.

And once again I'm happy for all the help :salute:

After seeing these two pics... yes, I am now tesing with a paintbrush. I am actually moving away from my previous method for weathering, leaving fuller's earth completely off, and going with a single color of the woodland scenics paint, as it appears was done on the originals. I am painting on a thin base, then blotching on heavier layers over the thin layers to simulate the splatters.

post-52-1228969502_thumb.jpg

post-52-1228969517_thumb.jpg

Hey is an early test. I am really pleased with it. I think I need to find a softer bristled brush so the strokes are not as apparent, but overall, I think it is capturing the weathering in a very similar way to the original. Not sure how good this would look for trooping, but my interest has always been in making them look like the originals, for good or bad.

Posted Image

Hi Art

I've been using a used brush(a little hardened) for weathering then damp it with toilet paper(i'll use cloth later on),the strokes is still there but more 'blurry'

Sorry...im making severeal mistakes here but...... :P and i planned to use this thin layer of black enamel on some spots like this,then add two 'earth brown' colors(not enamels this time)

Posted Image

The reason im using a used brush is to reconditioned a loooong movie shoot time on the dessert,is it possible? Or they had an inventory guys on that day

What do you think? suggestions?

I loved what you do on the weathering,its the same goal as mine

Hey is an early test. I am really pleased with it. I think I need to find a softer bristled brush so the strokes are not as apparent, but overall, I think it is capturing the weathering in a very similar way to the original.

Posted Image

I think it looks very nice, if you spray the item with water, from a spray botle before you paint and the 5 mins after dry of the water it will give it a very cool look. Well on cars it does B) I haven't tried it on armor yet, hense this thread :D

Today I'm going to see the Sfinks in Ghiza B)

Copy that Art.

Its a hard one.

Because, i think your old version looks the best.

But the one layer all over, whit no white details here and there.

And only one, or two colours tone might be more movie accurate.

The ANH weathering, looks like when i put weathering on my suits.

Before, i detail it down here and there.

I might go for the over all, one tone too.

On my next one too.

Cheers troops :) .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, all of this is just an assumption on my part, but I believe the sandtroopers were weathered just once, probably out in the desert for the first shoot. We see them painting it on with a brush and later using a bunched up rag (I assume for the heavier splatter spots). In those early desert shots, the armor is as dirty as we ever see it. While there may have been light touchup, I don't think the armor was ever fully weathered again because you can see some of the same weathering patterns throughout all of the scenes, but some has gotten lighter, fallen off, been wiped off, etc. I still have no idea what they used for weathering but it must have been something akin to the woodland scenics we use, because it obviously comes off the armor with wear and tear, unlike real paint would do. While I love the look fuller's earth gives, I won't use it again because I don't believe they used it on the originals.

Also want to say that I don't think the way it is weathered in the movie looks all that terribly great in person. It works on film and got the point across, but the whole paintbrushed-on mud-look really isn't realistic at all, and is probably NOT the answer if you are planning to troop in your armor. I don't know if I will ever have another set of armor or not (I hope so, but have been waiting a long, long time) but if I do, for good or bad, I will try my best to replicate the weathering seen on screen... but then again, I probably won't costume in my armor.

Here is my first version of the weathering vs the 2nd. While I like the 2nd a lot more, I don't think either really matches what we see on screen.

The first was simply grey fuller's earth and hair spray. The 2nd was multiple coats of different colors of the woodland scenics, scrubbed down with a scotch brite, and then a thin layer of fuller's earth (tan this time) applied to the top. I no longer have this armor as I sold it to a collector in AZ.

Posted Image

Hi Art

I've been using a used brush(a little hardened) for weathering then damp it with toilet paper(i'll use cloth later on),the strokes is still there but more 'blurry'

Sorry...im making severeal mistakes here but...... :P

I am def going to give the toilet paper a try on my next attempt. I have a chest plate here to work with while I am patiently awaiting a new set of armor. Hopefully, by the time I get it, I will have the weathering where I want it.

Art that weathering is sweet!!!...I like it more dirty then what people tend to do...I know on screen is one thing...but lets be honest...a lot of what was used seemed to be done on set...poop happens...electrical tape etc...

I tend to go more for what was 'intended'...

The key is wearing the armor as a costume vs creating an accurate ANH replica. Both have appeal but need a completely different approach in all likelihood. I was just thinking I'd like to re-weather my armor and as it's going to be my sole costume rather than the strict replica I hope to make the others, I'd like to try to have an accurate looking but realistic in person look. Mike H weathered the helmet I have and it meets that realistic but accurate look very nicely, just need to weather the armor to match.

Posted Image

Of course since I have a "blue" AP armor set I might have to get new armor first :( to be truly satisfied. I wish the choice of armor was better.

The key is wearing the armor as a costume vs creating an accurate ANH replica. Both have appeal but need a completely different approach in all likelihood. I was just thinking I'd like to re-weather my armor and as it's going to be my sole costume rather than the strict replica I hope to make the others, I'd like to try to have an accurate looking but realistic in person look. Mike H weathered the helmet I have and it meets that realistic but accurate look very nicely, just need to weather the armor to match.

I think you are right and I think most people lean to the "I want it to look good at costuming events" side of things. That was my original intent, but the more I get into it, the more I keep shifting back to the "what did it look like on set" look. Mike's weathering looks great! That guy excels at everything he does!

Well, all of this is just an assumption on my part, but I believe the sandtroopers were weathered just once, probably out in the desert for the first shoot. We see them painting it on with a brush and later using a bunched up rag (I assume for the heavier splatter spots). In those early desert shots, the armor is as dirty as we ever see it. While there may have been light touchup, I don't think the armor was ever fully weathered again because you can see some of the same weathering patterns throughout all of the scenes, but some has gotten lighter, fallen off, been wiped off, etc. I still have no idea what they used for weathering but it must have been something akin to the woodland scenics we use, because it obviously comes off the armor with wear and tear, unlike real paint would do. While I love the look fuller's earth gives, I won't use it again because I don't believe they used it on the originals.

Also want to say that I don't think the way it is weathered in the movie looks all that terribly great in person. It works on film and got the point across, but the whole paintbrushed-on mud-look really isn't realistic at all, and is probably NOT the answer if you are planning to troop in your armor. I don't know if I will ever have another set of armor or not (I hope so, but have been waiting a long, long time) but if I do, for good or bad, I will try my best to replicate the weathering seen on screen... but then again, I probably won't costume in my armor.

Copy that.

I also think they just add the weathering on the in the desert, before the shooting.

Here is a picture of them, clean before the takes.

Posted Image

As Art says, some of them have a more heavy weathering.

And later, more soft.

Here the heavy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Light:

Posted Image

The progress:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe they took the desert, looks sir droids shot first.

And the weathering slowly, comes more and more off.

To the took the takes, in Mos Eisley later on.

The weathering, should be some cook up oil (but i´m not 100% sure).

Thats why it a black/brown tone.

Cheers :)

Here is my first version of the weathering vs the 2nd. While I like the 2nd a lot more, I don't think either really matches what we see on screen.

The first was simply grey fuller's earth and hair spray. The 2nd was multiple coats of different colors of the woodland scenics, scrubbed down with a scotch brite, and then a thin layer of fuller's earth (tan this time) applied to the top. I no longer have this armor as I sold it to a collector in AZ.

Posted Image

The weathering, is the most personal thing to do as a TD owner of a suit.

Therefor, very hard to say.

Whats is right, and wrong.

As long as the tone is:

Black, grey, sand, brown, mud tone...

And not over kill, it might work for the most out there.

Personal, i like your number 2 version best.

You first shot, looks a bit like this one here.'

Posted Image

Your # 2, maybe more like this one here.

Posted Image

Cheers :)

I hope I haven't offended anyone. You are right that there is no right or wrong as long as artistic interpretation is involved. If I ever call something right or wrong, it is only in relation to what is seen on screen as in, if you are going for screen accurate, I THINK (don't know for sure) adding fuller's earth like I did is wrong... perhaps "inaccurate" is a better term. Sad fact is, we will never truly know what was in that little bucket they are using to weather the sandies with... It could be fuller's earth and water... although I seriously doubt it.

Posted Image

Of course since I have a "blue" AP armor set I might have to get new armor first :( to be truly satisfied. I wish the choice of armor was better.

Nice helmet, and weathering job Mike.

You TD skills are all ways A+ work bro ;) .