Critique my TD weathering.

missingpieces

Just now starting. I'm also waiting on a few TD bits in the mail. Thanks for the opinions! B)

I'm using FolkArt acrylics (Made in the USA ;) ) from Wal-mart(boo!).

$.97 for a 2oz. bottle. Colors are: Burnt Umber, Terra Cotta and Teddy Bear Tan (yes, really).

I've been applying the 2 darker colors (BU & TC) dry, but when I apply the TBT I dampen the paper towel to get a little more "smear" when applying.

I only used TC & TBT on the pauldron and ammo pouch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just now starting. I'm also waiting on a few TD bits in the mail. Thanks for the opinions! B)

I'm using FolkArt acrylics (Made in the USA ;) ) from Wal-mart(boo!).

$.97 for a 2oz. bottle. Colors are: Burnt Umber, Terra Cotta and Teddy Bear Tan (yes, really).

I've been applying the 2 darker colors (BU & TC) dry, but when I apply the TBT I dampen the paper towel to get a little more "smear" when applying.

I only used TC & TBT on the pauldron and ammo pouch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey!

those are the sames one's I bought at Wally-World too!!!!

I tried it on a test piece and it worked pretty good..

Short Trooper (Diana)

I used the same paints for my weathering; works well IMHO. I think you put on a good amount on (not overdone), but I think you should sponge it off a bit to make it look more sand blasts and less like it was splattered on.

Here's my helmet to show you what I mean...

Posted Image

It's all about technique. It took me three or four tries before I got anywhere near happy with my weathering. I'd still like to wash everything off and give it another try, but just can't bring myself to do it. I would say that it's a great first try (better than the first time I tried to weather my suit)!

It might sound strange, but I found that the best way to do it was to simply take most of the paint off each time. You can always add more paint, but once it's dry, I found that it was very difficult to alter without making it look like a mess.

I used similar colors, but in tempera paint instead of acrylic and would do two to four layers of each color to get the best results. In other words, I would start with my darkest color, spongeing it everywhere, wait five to ten minutes and then wipe/blot almost all of it back off. I would then wait another ten minutes or so until it was completely dry and do it again with the same color. After several layers of the dark, I then moved to the lighter and then subsequently to the lightest. After being satisfied with the weathering, I then dusted the armor with hairspray and Fuller's Earth

Check out this web addy if you haven't already: Woodland Scenics Weathering Tutorial

And here is a decent over-all shot of my weathering (sorry it's so overexposed):

Posted Image

It's all about technique. It took me three or four tries before I got anywhere near happy with my weathering. I'd still like to wash everything off and give it another try, but just can't bring myself to do it. I would say that it's a great first try (better than the first time I tried to weather my suit)!

It might sound strange, but I found that the best way to do it was to simply take most of the paint off each time. You can always add more paint, but once it's dry, I found that it was very difficult to alter without making it look like a mess.

I used similar colors, but in tempera paint instead of acrylic and would do two to four layers of each color to get the best results. In other words, I would start with my darkest color, spongeing it everywhere, wait five to ten minutes and then wipe/blot almost all of it back off. I would then wait another ten minutes or so until it was completely dry and do it again with the same color. After several layers of the dark, I then moved to the lighter and then subsequently to the lightest. After being satisfied with the weathering, I then dusted the armor with hairspray and Fuller's Earth

Check out this web addy if you haven't already: Woodland Scenics Weathering Tutorial

And here is a decent over-all shot of my weathering (sorry it's so overexposed):

Posted Image

That looks great dude!

Looks way better bro but maybe soften the weathering a little more ( as you can see on the pic from Dutchy) also get rid of ya straps bro (safes time weathering for nothing B) ) ! Anyway keep in mind what Dutchy already said '' weathering is something personal '' B) !

Keep up the dirty work !!

Grtz RAY

heres where im at now. definitely less IS more!

OK, i think I've got it now. no more covering it with paint and wiping it all off. I take a damp sponge, sponge it one then sponge it off in strategic areas. i then let the paint tack up then lightly buff more paint off.

Posted Image

also get rid of ya straps bro

"luckily" for me they're glued on! the one covered by the pauldron im not worried about, the other i might have to hack off and do some abs/bondo work . :angry:

heres where im at now. definitely less IS more!

OK, i think I've got it now. no more covering it with paint and wiping it all off. I take a damp sponge, sponge it one then sponge it off in strategic areas. i then let the paint tack up then lightly buff more paint off.

Posted Image

"luckily" for me they're glued on! the one covered by the pauldron im not worried about, the other i might have to hack off and do some abs/bondo work . :angry:

Now your getting it I use these colors. Burnt Umber, Maple Syrup, Tan or country tan, salt grey or Country grey

Posted Image

And when finished it looks like this. Acrylics Work Very well and are IMO on the same level if not better then fullers earth, it's user friendly and doesn't need to be sealed in with hair spray.

Posted Image

You should go darkest color to lightest one on top of the other ;) if you would like later i can explain how i did my suit.

Chazz, am I correct that the darkest color is to accentuate the details and shape of our TD armor whilst the layers of lighter shades is to give it a random dirt built up look? Its similar to the approach used for weathering scale model armored vehicles, esp those US WWII Armor.

and MissingPieces, thanks for sharing with us the progress of your weathering. I like the application dirt and grime on your Chest Armor. "Teddy Bear Tan" interesting color indeed! :D