R2 Unit Is Almost Ready To Stand!

Tyranus

As I mentioned before, the ankles and legs were on their way to me.

I had the feet, the legs arrived a few weeks ago, and the ankles finally arrived yesterday.

I spent some time in the shop grinding and filing for a test fit.

Here are some pics of the night's activities:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Too cool Ward! I've always wanted to get my own R2 build going, but just never can get enough money to get started. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Thanks!

I tell you though, if I waited until I could afford it I never would have started.

I started mine with one piece for under $30 and have been collecting parts for almost 4 years. It's pricy to do the aluminum pieces, but you can do it for very little with wooden frames, resin pieces and making some of them on your own.

Some of the builders have done a whole droid for under $400-$500.

Check out the site: www.astromech.net

:)

The bug bit me when I saw the body skins at someone's house when I was at a party. I was irretrievably hooked.

Drop me a PM or email if you want to get started. I'll help you with sources and people to go to. ;)

OH, and I like your pottery!!

You should do an INDY HOLY GRAIL prop. ;)

. . . . Just a thought.

I tell you though, if I waited until I could afford it I never would have started.

I started mine with one piece for under $30 and have been collecting parts for almost 4 years. It's pricy to do the aluminum pieces, but you can do it for very little with wooden frames, resin pieces and making some of them on your own.

Some of the builders have done a whole droid for under $400-$500.

Check out the site: www.astromech.net

The bug bit me when I saw the body skins at someone's house when I was at a party. I was irretrievably hooked.

Drop me a PM or email if you want to get started. I'll help you with sources and people to go to. ;)

Thanks Ward! I just registered at astromech.net the other day and have been browsing through the threads. A lot going on over there. I'll have to shoot you a PM once I get my head wrapped around some of this stuff...

ePS - I love the little kid giving the finger in the sixth photo! :peace:

WWwwuhhuu very nice, looks fantastic!!! :) .

Very movie accurate, just the way we like it.

Just make it move, and we can have a party whit it.

Shooting after it in the cantina :D .

Great work bro, can´t wait to see it all done ;) .

Thanks!

Braided foot hoses, Aluminum Foot Strips and Ankle Details came in, but I only managed to grab pics of the ankle details:

Posted Image

The little tab at the top (that will be painted blue) is made so it unscrews for painting - NO MASKING with TAPE!!! :P

Posted Image

• 10 months later...

A few updates:

Here are some updates:

I was able to squeeze in some work time - drilling out the pilot holes for the Knurled Hose Fittings in R2's feet. This is where the braided hoses that connect to the battery boxes will go.

It wasn't a great deal of work accomplished, but it felt good to work on him some as the weather is getting nicer!

I had to pick up a step bit to do the job right. $32 - OUCH!! But I have it in my toolbox for future uses as well, and it worked like a DREAM right through the steel foot casings:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also picked up the motor for R2's dome rotation:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are the specs:

Pittman® gear reduction DC motor - GM9236C364

Rated 19.1 vdc, useable from 6vdc to 24vdc

Measured RPM, No-load Current (Amps)

Voltage: Gear/Motor

6vdc : 135 / 1550 rpm, 110mA

9vdc : 205 / 2350 rpm, 120mA

12vdc: 275 / 3100 rpm, 130mA

19vdc: 435 / 4980 rpm, 150mA

24vdc: 550 / 6630 rpm, 160mA

Rated 100 oz/in. continuous torque

Dimensions

Overall Length (excluding shafts): 4-12"

Gearhead diam.: 2-1/16"

Motor diam.: 1-1/8"

Gearhead Shaft: 1/4" x 5/8"

Motor Shaft: 5/32" x 1/2"

Now I need to find a wheel to use with it. A lot of r2 builders use one made by a fellow R2 Builder that looks like this ($38). It offers the 1/4" shaft that will fit my motor.

Posted Image

It will mount like this to the frame and the wheel will press against the inside of the large bearing that runs around the outside edge, turning the dome.

Posted Image

I will most likely make my own spring loaded mounting bracket like this one:

Posted Image

I picked up two scooter motors for the foot drive system:

Posted Image

And I got the Shoulder Hubs:

The centers are machined seperately - so precise.

I love Aluminum droid parts!

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are found inserted in this piece of the shoulder:

Posted Image

Here are some pics of my battery boxes and test fitting them on the feet.

I filed, steel-wooled, degreased, dried, primed and painted them today. They are hanging up to cure, but I will snap a few pics of them once they're all done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just happened to notice the time in the background as I was snapping pics. Kind of appropriate! :D

Posted Image

I just picked up the Shoulder Horseshoes as well:

Here are some pics. These were hastily taken on the hood of my truck for contrast. Sorry if they're not great. I'll take better ones after they're cleaned up.

First, the spacers that go between the leg and the horsehoes, forming the small groove on the top of R2's legs:

Posted Image

And several views of the horseshoes. They're still a little dirty, and need cleaning up, but still pretty cool.

The one on the left is flipped over, showing the back side and the removed aluminum to cut down on weight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of shiny alum parts there... nice!

R2 building is loads of fun! No matter if you scratchbuild or "just" buy and assemble parts, you will learn a lot during the build and make good friends along the way as well. Oh and you'll end up having a droid (or two...)

Here's my R2 - It's a mix of scratchbuilt parts (frame, legs, feet, some detail parts) and club "run" parts (skins, dome, other detail parts ;)) and is fully remote controlled - Cost me roughly 1.500 Euros in materials (that's $2.000... wow!) and I'm planning to upgrade soon. Did I mention an R2 is a neverending project?

Posted Image