Tips on staying cool

TD1149

OK all of you warm climate troopers I need to here from you. I have an outdoor event coming up on Sunday and it could be a scorcher outside. What extra things if any do you do to stay cool? I've already dremeled out my frown and installed fans. And drinking lots of fluids is a no brainer. Has any body ever tried lining parts of their armor with those little cold plastic pouches that are used for sprained ankles and such? Just a random thought I had.

I've heard of people putting those cold pack things in their bucket attached with velcro...I've never tried it though. Choice of body stocking is important too. I've trooped in a Midwest summer environment before with "UnderArmor" and it seemed to do a nice job of keeping me fairly comfortable.

North Dakota? Are you kiddin me , whats the hi up there like 70! LOL

Nah just ribbin on you. Down here we get into the 90's with 100% humidity regularly, you don't sweat as much till you stop then it pours...

Ususally we all wear underarmor brand body suits,and drink plenty of water before and during,. After a hour parade, we usually can pour the sweat out of our armor pieces and helmets literally! Helps to keep a towel in the armor bin to whipe off the sweat or trooper funk will ferment nicely in a closed plastic bin in the 90 degree sun on your way home!!!

I don't know if anyone has spent the $$ on a cool vest like military uses.. the kind you put in the refrigerator then wear for like 3-4 hours...

I' dbe interested to hear if anyone has done more than simple PC fans for cooling too.....

-Bamatrooper

Hey Bamatrooper. I like the cold vest idea. I wonder how much they go for. Like Calikid said though if you use tempera paint like I do the condensation is going to make it run all over the place. I wonder if placing a layer of material over the top of it would keep it from running. What are the underarmor suits made of? Right now I use the Lycra Dive Skin from 123Scuba. It doesn't absorb sweat very well so I usually wear a t-shirt underneath. I thought about going with the Renaissance Dancewear suit but I'm not sure it would be any better.

I've seen some troops use the personal air conditioner that fits around your neck, they are about $100, and supposedly work pretty well. You may also get one of the "cool bandanas" that constuction crews use, (you also wear this around your neck) that is probably a more economical choice.

• 2 weeks later...

if ur that hot outsied i dont think wet armor will matter too much.. I have made my backplate into a pocket so i can insert an ice pack or 2. It works great and stays cool for a while. plus being on your back really cools off the rest of you nicely. I can also wear a 30oz camelback under it if i dont want ice.. and i can fil the camel with ice too so.. theres my 2 cents.

I custom made my undersuit out of bathing suit material. Seems to work just like a dive suit, but a lot lighter. You sweat for a while, then it regulates itself. It doesn't get amazing hot here in Michigan, though. One of the worst times I had was marching in a parade in the winter. I couldn't feel parts of my body for most of the parade. But, I guess we weren't made for cold conditions, eh? That'd be a different costume.