Mepd Layout

1970s

Guys - I hate to be a real *** and say this - but I liked the old MEPD Board layout more than this new one. I'm not a real computer savvy person but is seemed to be easier to use and I could see pictures posted in the threads before. Also - what happened to the Dancing Chewbacca's???

jack :huh:

well, I'm sorry we can't please everyone. This was done for many positive reasons to move the detachments all in the right direction, all unified on one server. Many Legionnaires are members on many of the same detachment boards and this simplifies their logins. All the little things like emoticons, and buttons will get updated over time, if at all.

Furthermore, the original hosting account was set to expire on July 20th. Rather than continue down the same path of a random server, with accounts created long ago and out of our control, the plan was to make this migration before it expired. At the same time we moved it to a new server, we also moved from the older php board to this newer Invision board. I can't take credit for the move and migration, but I suppose I'm ultimately responsible if any issues persist.

Lastly, while we could've moved the forum to php 3.0 - trust me when I say you would've hated that layout more than this one. Also, php 2.0 forums have become targets for numerous hacks, spam and other fraudulent activity that drives Admins nuts. Anyone who runs a php 2.0 forum will tell you spam bots are insane! The Invision board technology seems to be much more stable and resistant to them.

There are also other things that will get integrated into the Menu bar at the top such as reference pictures, Deployed Troops, etc. Just take a look at the FISD detachment board or Clonetroopers.net to get a better idea of what is possible. Long time MEPD posters may be resistant to this change, but it needed to happen eventually for the betterment of new troops and the Legion. As detachment leader, it's my job to not only oversee day to day operations, but make the hard decisions such as this.

Hi Jack,

It's also important to realize that the old MEPD was not made overnight. Part of what you're seeing is a victim to timing. When I had a week of between jobs Greg was heads down, and then when he was able to do the migration I was working lots of hours on my new job, and I no longer have a private office and am instead in a situation where everyone can see my screen.

What this means is that some UI tweaks that *would* have been done w/in a day or so such as the wookies are now taking longer to get set up. I can tell you I'm as frustrated by you at this, but my free time just isn't what it was up until right at the migration. Just bad luck is all.

We will get these UI tweaks done - never fear. How about some features that we could not have done on the old board?

1) View New Posts used to reset at each visit, now you can always see the most recent posts.

2) Passport integration with other sites - outstanding if you belong to one of several boards (such as FISD, CTN, BSN - all the major 501st troop detachments)

3) Ability to get the text of a reply via email w/o having to go to the board - excellent for offline reading or when you're not able to view the forum directly

4) Any feature done for FISD/BSN/CTN is able to be migrated here "for free" in essence.

5) Much easier admin panel (esp. for those of us who admin more than one forum)

6) More stable site hosting

As I said where MEPD was *supposed* to be w/in a few days was as mature as BSN/CTN/FISD, unfortunately life got in the way. I personally am committed to getting most of these UI tweaks done soon.

I appreciate everyone's patience - it's been a rough month - I think I've only had one night of uninterrupted sleep. :-p

I didn't mean to be an *******

- I just thought is was easier to navigate before. I did not know that you guys combind other forums - I see why you are asking for the email at the log in - instead of the user name. This is the only Stormtrooper board I'm part of and I enjoy it quite a bit. I'm not part of any of the other prop Star Wars boards or the 501 just this board. Anytime I've checked out other boards for one reason or another - I never felt they were as good as this one. This board has alot of good - helpful people on it.

Thanks,

jack ;)

- I just thought is was easier to navigate before. I did not know that you guys combind other forums - I see why you are asking for the email at the log in - instead of the user name. This is the only Stormtrooper board I'm part of and I enjoy it quite a bit. I'm not part of any of the other prop Star Wars boards or the 501 just this board. Anytime I've checked out other boards for one reason or another - I never felt they were as good as this one. This board has alot of good - helpful people on it.

Thanks,

jack ;)

Wow! Thanks for the positive feedback Jack, we should make that a testimonial.

Thanks,

jack ;)

You weren't being an *** at all and I certainly wasn't taking it that way - so no worries! If you can describe specific items you liked better on the old board, we can certainly try to work them in.