Id-4565 To Td-4565

TomG

I know how much some of you don´t like FX armor. But for me it is first armor to complete. I´m making here modification to make this armor durable, comfortable for trooping. To use minimal velcro fastener as possible. And use rivets as much possible. Next stage will be replacing FX helmet with another more accurate.

Btw thanks for ideas that I found on this forum or on websites of forum members.

Here are few photos. Abdomen plate still missing correct sandy box, it will be replaced in few weeks when will be molds for this part. Same as sniper knee part.

On photos is older version of this part. It was a bit tight, then I needed to replace these black belts on sides.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had fun with weathering test. I used spare part to test something. Because I have FX armor, then I´m not going to make it screen accurate. Even we don´t have desert in my country. Then I wanted test something else. As we know, they used HDPE plastic on Sandtrooper helmets, then we can see this color under white cover paint. Something like weather damage to base material. Then I was thinking, that why should be helmet from diferent material that armor. We know reason from props makers. But why don´t use some imagination. I want try make something like this on whole armor. To presume that whole armor has something like base material, that is close to HDPE color and when troop in it, you will have damage this white layer and then put some dirt on it.

Here is photo. I know it is not perfect. This damaged paint doesn´t look much real (I had troubles with masking, I will buy some profesional stuff for this) and these damages shouldn´t be that big. But I think you can imagine how it should like in final. On photo is first level of weathering and there will be probably one or two next with some rusty, dark gray or brown dust.

Posted Image

• 2 months later...

As seen here: http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=4428

I created TK to TD conversion set for FX style armor and used it.

Here is rebuilded ab armor.

Posted Image

Next one will be new photos of almost complete legs. Sorry for delay, but I´m a bit busy with something different, but still TK/TD related. Few from you saw something from it. Right Rolf? :)

How do you get the rivets to lie flush like that? Every time I try, I get part of the nail end snapped off, or the back side it raised like a top hat. Any pointers on using a rivet gun?

Every rivet is sanded via something like dremel tool. You need only make some break between sanding, because these rivets are hot and they can melt plastic. Rivets that can cut underarmor cloth will be covered with foam.

there's no hate? right? :unsure: j/k!

I didn´t say there is a hate. Some hardcore "screen accurate" guys just don´t like FX style armor :)

May be you didn´t noticed it . But I sanded out this return edge on upper side or ab armor. It only hurts, when it is here and actually it isn´t visible under chest armor.

Hey, there's one thing that I've never seen before...a crotch cushion! Coolness! Looking solid, brother!

So when a rebel, put he´s knee cap in your crotch.

You still stand tall, and blast him away :lol: .

The black elastics there hold the belly, and back look too slim.

I will add some fat ones, to make it stay there more solid.

(your Fx is cool, the most important thing is that you are here whit a armor coming up.

If you like, you can all ways upgrade ;) )

Peace out bro :) .

To be honest, I myself am not that fond of rivets all around. But just as long as it's functional and keeps it all together you're definitely on the right track here.

Regarding the FX....just as Rolf mentioned, you are here now and there is always the possibility to upgrade.

And...It is always nice to see how people assemble their armors.

The padding in the crotch is a good idea, keeps your parts in place instead of dangling outside your armor, that's only when you troop naked B)

Keep us posted! :)

I see guys, you have here fun. :)

Lets continue. Black leather boots from box (price something about 55$) and then I replaced this black rubber on sides. Next one will be painting with white color for leather. I will use paintbrush. I have it tested. But I need to buy this paint first :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

How did I replaced this rubber. Manualy, using knife, scissors, needle, nylon yarn etc. Really nasty work. But my XO will try ask tailor to do it for him.

What will be next? Yeah right promissed legs.

Here is new photo of left calf for sniper knee plate. Whole part is riveted together and it is covered with plastic belt. You can see some filler on it. I put here too much glue and it damaged this plastic. Later will be seen detail of this belt with dremeled holes to cover rivets.

Next one is photo from inside to show how much are rivets dremeled from inside. They will be covered with foam.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then we have here right thight. Again riveted together from both sides. Here is visible this covering plastic belt with bremeled holes. On next photo is thigh from inside with velcro belt to attach it to straping system and glued a bit hard foam. And it is visible here glued back covering plastic belt.

Dimensions of these belts are taken from Mike´s (TK-1536) TD build.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rolf.

Ah I forgot another update. Custom made neckseal V1. You need cotton black L size shirt, piece of foam and piece of velcro. It is not perfect, but it is better than typical neckseal on ebay. Yeah thanks to my mother for this :)

Posted Image

The shoes look spot on, jodhpurs??

Anyway, maybe sand them down a bit first and then apply the paint / shoepolish. It tends to stick beter when you do that, because I spraypainted mine first but it all chipped of when I put them on. So I used white leather shoepolish after sanding them down. The bands are a great job also.

• 4 weeks later...