"Stay"-cation or "Vay"-cation..which is

Are any of you able to go on a vaction or have a "stay"-cation, which is you forget about going on your trip due to high gas, hotel and food prices that have sucked your vacation money dry????

I'm having a "Stay"-cation due to high gas and food prices plus expenses that have to be paid....i.e. cost of living.

We do have some state parks that are close and we have Riverfest coming up...but that's about it. We have been getting more things fixed around the house, and it's actually been clean in here!!!(I am pretty good with a hammer as long as I don't hit my hand ) CArpet sharks (ferrets)cages are nice & clean, bathroom picked up and I can actually see the floor in my 14 year olds room.....we are going to the fireworks tonight.. then River fest starts in 2 weeks.

My youngest (The 14 yr old.) is going on a vacation with her youth group in about a week to southern Illinois. Lucky kid!!

Short Trroper (Diana)

My wife took off for China for 10 days on a personal trip, so in exchange I'm taking a man-cation in August for 5 days, letting her handle the kids solo this time

We're going lakeside camping on Whidbey Island and debating whether to take the ferry or going the long way by car. Only about 90 min from home so I don't know if that qualifies as a staycation or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you sis.......remodeling my place too. Going down to San Diego Comic Con for one day to troop (which I consider a form of work) so put ol' Scootch down as Staycation.

Oh and LMK if you have any Plumbing issues I can assist with. ;)

I've been spending too much money this year. Drove 1,000 miles in May for a three day get-away. Drove another 300 miles or so two weeks ago, again, to get away with the misses. Drove about 150 miles last week for Shoreleave and intend to drive a good 1200 miles to DragonCon and Back. All that and I need to plop down about $500 for new truck tires (if you haven't checked, the cost of tires has gone up a lot, too, since they're made from petroleum).

In two weeks the misses wants to host a party for about 20 people... guess who's buying the beer. <_<

After DragonCon, I'm hunkering down and stock piling ammo for the 2012 Zombie apocalypse.

Update

stay-cations- 2

vay-cations - 4

man-cations 1

Summer is about half over and we have virtualy gone no where far, as gas prices have risen to $4.19 here...it did go down last night to $4.14. I hope and pray that oil keeps going down and we can afford gas again. B)

At least I got my pack frame made and ready to be glued and t hen painted... AT least there are things to do at home here to finaish my costume and get it done.

Short Trooper

The cost of groceries has hit us harder than the cost of gas. Fresh produce prices especially have gone through the roof. I used to buy Gala Apples for $1.49 a lb. some times on sale for .99. Last time bought them, they were $2.29!

Gas is $4.60 a gallon here in San Diego.

:blink:

How do you afford to go to work with gas that high?

I hope your work is close to your home at that price...here gas did go down to $4.09 a gallon but it's not staying there long as they feel it might go up...

Food has gone up too and fresh produce is the highest for us here..I have relatives who grow 3 fields of sweet corn and sell it at thier fruit stand..they had to raise thier prices just to cover the gas costs to plant and grow it. they did have some monster strawberries tho and some huge basketball sized catalopes..Watermelons were good and blueberries are coming up next week.

Next year we are planting a veggie garden and growing our own as they are saying tonight that food is going to go up next year...especially corn...so beef, corn flakes and any thing to do with corn will be the highest.....

so no vacation just "stay' cations for us for a few years...

Short trooper (Diana)

• 2 weeks later...

Stay-cations 3

Vay-cations 4

man-cations - 1

no-cations - 1

hope every ones summer has gone well, despite the gas prices which have TG finally begin to come down a bit.. I wish Congress had passed the oil bill before they went on thier vacation and didn't pass it!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Gas could of went down to $3.30 a gallon by Labor day.

It's $3.87 a gallon here right now.

Short Trooper (Diana)