Weathering tutorial

TD-1536

This is a tutorial I put together for the Clone-Empire forums on how to weather Clone Trooper armor. I think it can certainly be applied to Sandtroopers, particularly part two which shows the usage of the Scenic Woodlands tempra paints. This is pretty much how I've weathered Sandtrooper armor for the past few years (except for the black wash, which is Clone specific.)

I'm working on YouTube edits for more compatibility.

Part One

This one goes over the materials and how to use them on a chest piece. It's roughly 80MB and even at that size and resolution, much of the detail is lost. The only way to present this sort of thing would be in HD, with little to no compression but the file sizes would be HUGE. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful. Requires Quicktime, video is in H.264, MP4 for best quality to file size. I can also try to YouTube these, but I think all the detail would be washed out.

Quicktime: http://homepage.mac.com/mikeharrison/.Movi...ering_part1.mp4

YouTube:

Part Two

This takes the same thing as above but adds Tempra paint pigments, example is shown on a calf/grieve piece. This video is 55MB in size, and unfortunately, because of the camera angle, almost all the detail is blown out by the sun's glare. After filming both these and bringing everything inside out of the heat and sun, only did we discover this. Here it is anyway for what it's worth

http://homepage.mac.com/mikeharrison/.Movi...ering_part2.mp4

Here are up close pictures of the piece I weathered above to get a better idea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 months later...

I really like how you did the scorch marks with the black paint. To me, that really adds a lot to the "walked right off the battlefield" look. Could you post some extra tips for how you would go about making realistic scorch marks? You kind of messed up in the video, but I especially like the idea of using the black paint to make scratch type marks across the chest and other pieces of armor.

I really like how you did the scorch marks with the black paint. To me, that really adds a lot to the "walked right off the battlefield" look. Could you post some extra tips for how you would go about making realistic scorch marks? You kind of messed up in the video, but I especially like the idea of using the black paint to make scratch type marks across the chest and other pieces of armor.

Well, on TK and TD armor, what you would actually see are scuff marks in the films. I added scuff marks to my TK suit with just a charcoal stick and painted them on my Clone armor to mimic the CG designs.

I never tried to create scorch marks on purpose... not sure if I say scorch or scuffs in the videos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Thought I watch this though I'm not so far that it's up to do.

As I'm a scalemodeller with acrylic paints but with much smaller scale

like 1/72 this is very interesting chapter. I'd thought about a mix of washing for the

going in or deep areas first and little drypaint for the edges with basic dirt and shades, but

this is exciting. Opens new grounds.

Fantastic!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

great tutorial bro but I am a little hard of hearing what is that dust you used called and where can i find it?

It's called fullers earth. Looks like you can get it on Amazon.com. as to whitch ones you would need, I'm not sure. I'm pretty new here my self.