Oil filter resource?

tk2230

Does anyone know where I could find/buy an oil filter of comparible size on the top left left of the sandtrooper backpack? I have no idea what cannon the size even is? MH said it was an oil filter to a tank and almost impossible to get but I was wondering if there was a disel filter for a truck that might be the same size?

J

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up going with some textured irrigation drip tube I found at Lowe's. The texture really gave it that used & abused look. I placed them evenly, spacing each one about 3/16" apart, around a large poster tube that had been cut down to the appropriate length. I then found a cardboard roll from some old packing tape and another small cardboard cylinder that I had kept from something (It helps being a packrat) and hot glued them inside to give it a thickness like you can see in the screen shot. I also placed the poster tube cap on the bottom since you couldn't see the bottom of it in the movie anyway. I liked the look. I then spray painted the entire thing flat black and attached it by running screws through the back side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It still needs to be weathered, but I'm waiting until the pack is finished.

i did the same on my current backpack and it definatly looks very close to the original screenused part. here is a comparison picture:

Posted Image

and here is a non-photoshoped picture of my filter part:

Posted Image

you just need the round middly part, my diameter: 3.15 inch / 9 cm

and black rubber tube, my diameter: 0,35 inch / 0,9 mm

i glued the tubes on the round middle part using E-6000 glue and cutted the ends with a dremel to get the screenused look.

the complete part is attached to the main boxes with 2 bolts, spacers and nuts.

Another very nice Mod Rocko! Where did you get your radio box?

the radio box is a modified box from the first run of TK-459.

while quite heavy i definatly recommend his boxes.

I ended up going with some textured irrigation drip tube I found at Lowe's. The texture really gave it that used & abused look. I placed them evenly, spacing each one about 3/16" apart, around a large poster tube that had been cut down to the appropriate length. I then found a cardboard roll from some old packing tape and another small cardboard cylinder that I had kept from something (It helps being a packrat) and hot glued them inside to give it a thickness like you can see in the screen shot. I also placed the poster tube cap on the bottom since you couldn't see the bottom of it in the movie anyway. I liked the look. I then spray painted the entire thing flat black and attached it by running screws through the back side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It still needs to be weathered, but I'm waiting until the pack is finished.

I saw this thing in person yesterday...and it is awesome!! The use of that type of drip tube gives it a "worn in / used" look and once it is weathered will look perfect!!

I am glad I decided to go in the same direction as Ares.

Where did you get the drip tube? Any links for the resources?

J

I picked it up locally at Lowe's here in the States. I checked their website and could not find it nor could I find it anywhere online. Unfortunately I threw away the packaging, so I'm not even sure who makes it. I may stop by a Lowe's in the next few days and I'll see if I can find any info on it.

I stopped by Lowe's yesterday and found the drip house. I hadn't realized it, but it's made from recycled tires. I snapped a few shots, but unfortunately the item# doesn't come up on the Lowe's website. I did a Google search and found hose that was made from recycled tires, but it was all 5/8" and not 1/4", so it's way too big.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sorry about the lousy images. It's from my phone.

I went by lowes trying to find soaker hose lol, only thing I found was large garden sized ones.

Can you recall what part of the store you were in you found it near? IE sprinklers/garden center or somewheres else...

I went by lowes trying to find soaker hose lol, only thing I found was large garden sized ones.

Can you recall what part of the store you were in you found it near? IE sprinklers/garden center or somewheres else...

Sprinkler section. In this case it happened to be on an endcap, but that may be specific to this store.

If you want to Paypal me the cost of the hose and shipping I'll be more than happy to send it to you. I go by that Lowe's all the time. Unfortunately becuase of it's size it'll probably cost as much to ship as it does for the hose. I'm in AZ, 85249.