ATTENTION FELLOW TROOPERS!!!

Scootch

BBQ CAUTION ADVISORY!!!

If you barbecue, please read.

The following item was sent by a long time colleague and friend who

works for United States Gypsum. He attended a workshop yesterday and came

away with the following. I know some of you BBQ on a regular basis

There was a meth training/workshop yesterday and there was a lot of great new information presented. I wanted to let you all know about one thing that I was not aware of. Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they are filling them with anhydrous ammonia (which they

now have a recipe for by the way). After they are finished with them, they return them to the store. They are then refilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our grills, etc. According to our

presenter, you should inspect the propane tank for any blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to purchase that one. You should check out the following

website for more details. They also have pictures you can show.

GO HERE

http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

IF Any of you guys have seen the Zombie movies you know what a ruptured propane tank next to open flame can do.......probably blow the flame out! Or it could ignite into a huge fireball! I have a bro who was burned in a natural gas fire.... he was in a deep trench attempting to seal a high pressure line made of Poly Ethylene....the escaping gas created a static charge which ignited the gas and my pal! This was last June and he is still getting treatments! But he can open his own beer bottles now!

Just beware bros....there are stupid people out there who don't care about anyone else but themselves.

thanks for that Scootch, i BBQ on a regular basis and thats good to know,,its not good when those things go up unless they are around Zombies or Methheads..haha,,,dumnass tweekers......darkhammer out...

Dont they hydro test each returned tank before they refill it? This is good info, I live in the middle of downtown tweakerville.

As I understand it, hydro testing is the responsibility of the "authorized recycling center" (the merchant) and not the place that actually refills the tanks for the merchants. The problem there is that (at least here in Texas) there are no merchants that have the equipment to test the bottles, they just have to be certified to be ABLE to test the bottles, and that is apparently good enough.

Again, who BBQs with propane anyways, besides Hank Hill? Real smoke beats liquid smoke any day.

Luckily for me it's cheaper to buy my own tank at Lowes and get it refilled over and over, as the exchange places have gotten ridiculously expensive.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll pass it along to a few folks.