T*E Stop That Ship

noodle3

After seeing the other fantastic work on the forum I thought I'd have ago myself. Using Mike's Techniques I think everything went really well, untill it came to the tube stripes.

then thing's went pear shaped from there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If anyone has any suggestion's & or recomendation's please do post as the whole thing is getting redone again, due to my incompetence with the tube stripes

You might try to draw the tube stripes on a piece of paper, then cut them out, and use tape to keep the sheet of paper in place on the helmet while you use a fine brush to paint the stripes? Try to make sure that the paint does not run, so apply in small doses. If you are not comfortable having the paper there while you paint, you can perhaps use a pencil to loosely trace where the stripes should be, then "fill in the blanks" with paint afterwards! It helped me at least, perhaps worth a shot! Good luck!

Two tube stripe tutorials here:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=2842

Two tutorials from Mike (TK-4510)

Applying stickers:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?s ... st&p=26425

Best hand painting tube strip tutorial ever is here:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?s ... st&p=35771

So Here's the lid getting redone.

Thanks for all the suggestion's & comments fella's

Posted Image

So next time:

1 Paint run down towards right trap.

I've tried loads of different techniques for the stripe's which is where everything went to a full repaint, but will try that Nico.

Thanks for the link's Daetrin but the masking tape lifted the paint when I tried it, maybe it was down to my own inpatience

2 Trim earcaps

With the earcaps Joe, do you mean the body of the caps where it forms around the cheek tube need trimming down?

3 Cut out the frown gap's to resemble STS

I'l post progress of the different techniques I use but it's mainly Mike great work & tip's I'v borrowed with the finer details from TM's suggestion's

If anyone has other comment's on getting it closer to STS please post

I admire your dedication bud.

2 Trim earcaps

With the earcaps Joe, do you mean the body of the caps where it forms around the cheek tube need trimming down?

Exactly what I was thinking. On another matter a little tip I have used is when you have finished painting is to rub a piece of newspaper all over the helmet, it adds a nice natural dirty, worn look. That along with black pastal scuff marks helps a lot. You can also highlight/shadow the detail areas with black pastal which makes the helmet look sharper in detail.

I think you have done it anyway but a nice creamy colour as opposed to white works really well if you are going for the 30 year old look.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

Here are a couple of update pic's, there is a lot of distortion with the digital camera squashing the helmet , if anyone has tip's on taking pic's with a digicam, please educate me

So Here's the frown hole's that have been opened ala STS, although there is only so much that can be done as the lid come's wonderfully assembled & hole's precut.

Posted Image

Here's the earcap's relocated & trimed on the squashed looking Lid!

Posted Image

Here's how I apply the first stage of latex, using a pencil to get the desired outline shape of the flaky bit's then small brush to fill in the body.

Posted Image

& here it is waiting for me to go buy more paint

Posted Image

Again, please feel free to comment if the changes are OK, I just find sometime's when you look at something for long period's it all seam's to dissappear & vacancy set's in

You might wanna put that shovel a little deeper in the dirt. There's a thread around here somewhere showing an HDPE helmet that tipped over while painting and went face first in to fresh grass clippings...

You might wanna put that shovel a little deeper in the dirt. There's a thread around here somewhere showing an HDPE helmet that tipped over while painting and went face first in to fresh grass clippings...

Posted Image

Thanks for the interest, as for progress I think it's more of one step forward, three step's back.

Here's the lid as it stands today, I'v quickly thrown the trim, tip's & cap's on just to give it balance.

sorry for the poor light but the paintwork's still a little creamy in color.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

this is a rough example of how it look's with the first stage paint application done. Personally I'm very under-impressed with my work so far, so most likley will strip it all back again over the weekend.

**** my won impatient's