I sound just like...me

ED209

So, I've slowly been piecing together my helmet. Paint came out great, so did the weathering (IMHO). Next, I used a tip from "Dave's Garage" on how to get a static burst by using a REAL cheap sound recorder from Radio Shack. I then got a pair of Stomper's speaker mics (AWESOME!! by the way) and connected the sound recorder to them. Last but not least came the sound.

I managed to get a Radio Shack speaker amp (the long black one that looks like an eclair) on ebay for a good price. Removed all the innards and created a small plastic box for the sound board to go into. Today, I finally found a place for it to fit in the helmet, wired it together and connected the microphone. Powered it up, got no feedback and was ready to rock. BUT, when I spoke into the mic, the sound out of the speakers sounded just like...me.

So now I'm trying to figure out a way to get that reverberated sound, to make my speakers sound more like the ones in the movies. I really don't want to slap down over $100 for soundboard, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

My whole VOX system consists of a voice changer toy from wal mart and a pair of speakers I got from Supertrooper. Total cost was right at 25 bucks and I'm totally satisfied.

That sounds like a good idea. How accurate is the sound? And how compact is it? I mean, if you were to take out the interior electronics.

Ive gone 2 routes with this. In my ANH helmet I have speakers in the aerators, the entire chip is abut 1.5" square mic and then installed the battery compartment in the chin. The chip its self is mounted in the top of the dome.

total price on that was about $25

Posted Image

The other route I took was for my ESB helmet. I combined the toy with a $15 wireless transmitter set Now the mic and wireless transmitter are mounted inside the helmet and the voice changer toy and reciever are velcroed behind the chest plate. This allows you to keep the larger speaker for more volume.

Total price on that was about $21

Posted Image

Here's a link to my voice demo. I have to apologize for the extremely loud static at the end of the video, youtube does that to all my videos for some reason.

I was at Wally World the other day and they had a whole peg. I have to run some errands tomorrow. Want me to pick you one up? For a cheap *** Wal Mart toy those things seem to be a hot item in my town. The peg usually clears out pretty quick and then it takes them an entire vernal equinox to restock them.

• 1 month later...

i got a black box voice changer from a garage sale recently, (looks like the one smitty has), and it has 3 modes; monster (ultra deep), alien, (super high), and speaker amplifier (ones own voice, but with the perfect touch of static buzz) and with a quick puf of breath into the mic, i can also get the perfect clicking sound.

and for only 2 bucks, i'de say that im lucky to end up with such a perfect vox unit ^ . ^