Bitter Irony

dutchy

At first when I made contact with the 501st I found out that "our founder" dedicated all the love and money raised with trooping for the research for cancer( correct me if I'm wrong) due to the bitter loss of his beloved daughter Katie.

I though that this was and is one of the noblest goals I ever heard of and wanted to put some effort in it myself as well.

Now the irony part..

I got an AP, which I really love, and told people about the goals the 501st is trying to achieve with trooping besides having fun.

I never met anyone whom I could directly support with his battle against this horrible disease, until yesterday..the 25th of march. The doctor's in the hospital told me that my father, who has been hospitalized for about 3/ 4 now( after having major heart surgery and a cerebral infarction) is terminally Ill due to cancer spread which originated in his liver.

So from now on, when I've finished my AP, I will troop for my dad and the battle against this horrible disease. Also for the cancer fund over here in the netherlands...

Heads up for now..

Thats is really bad news bro.

I have also lost a few good ones in my life, whit cancer.

Why is it all ways the good ones, there dance whit that **** monster.

Hang in there bro .

I hope your dad gets well soon. When my then 4-yr old son was hospitalized a couple years ago, those round the clock vigils put what's really important in life in better perspective.

Hang in there!

been almost where you have been, except for me it was my mother.

she passed a few months befre i got into this whole rollercoaster ride of the 501st.

i knwo shes be super prooud. so i know he will think the same of you.

troop on!

Will keep you in prayer for your father and I bet he is proud of you! Hang in there and I pray God will give you, your Dad, and your family strength.

Cancer is a most insidious disease that has ever been on earth....I suffered with it for 3 months last year as it attacked my face and the skin around my eye. Just the thought of it attacking you or a loved one is a awful thought.

Luckily they were able to save my eye and my face and the Dr.s did a great job on my face; you can't even tell where it was, except my eye lids around my left eye are slightly smaller than my right.

Please, can you let us know how you and your Dad are doing?

Keep the faith!

SHort Trooper (Diana)

I really thank all you guys and girls for all the kind words and support.

I know I will and must pull through, but alas my dad won't have the strength anymore, he already lost 11kg. But he is a real fighter, keeps his spirit high and still is able to pull a joke or two..

He will be coming home this weekend to spend the last days/ weeks maybe months in the loving surrounding of his own home and with all the love of his children and grandchildren.

I thank God every day for having my father around, but I also pray for strength....

And I know I make him proud..as I am proud of him, for being my caring and loving father.

Thank you all for caring

I really thank all you guys and girls for all the kind words and support.

I know I will and must pull through, but alas my dad won't have the strength anymore, he already lost 11kg. But he is a real fighter, keeps his spirit high and still is able to pull a joke or two..

He will be coming home this weekend to spend the last days/ weeks maybe months in the loving surrounding of his own home and with all the love of his children and grandchildren.

I thank God every day for having my father around, but I also pray for strength....

And I know I make him proud..as I am proud of him, for being my caring and loving father.

Thank you all for caring

Your Welcome and may God give you all peace and strength as you care for your Dad. May He give you many good days instead of bad and may God hold you all in the palm of His hand.

Short Trooper (Diana)

I just brought my dad home from the hospital.

Already placed a bed in the livingroom yesterday, so he can rest when he wants.

He was full of spirit and even asked me for a milkshake , so we went off for a shake. He enjoyed it much.

For now he is resting and regaining strength from today's activities.

Thanks to all of you for your great support, I will take all of you with me in prayer.

Thanks, Justus

• 2 weeks later...

They( the doctors) found out what they are dealing with.

My father's form of cancer is due to overexposure to asbestos.

It's called a malignant mesothelioma.

He has worked in a shipyard where they dismantled old ships in the 1950's. The asbestos got in his longues and had the time to get comfy over there for about 50 years. The incubation period is really long on tis one, but when it reveals it's face it's too late as with my dad.

Our government has got a program that will financially compensate the victims of it. It's a good thing but it won't cure my dad..

So troops, friends of the MEPD..

If you know people who have worked in a situation similar to my dad's, tell them to get themselves checked out asap. And of course look out with asbestos...

-Justus

First off I want to say that my prayers and thoughts are with you and your father.

We lost both my sister In-Law and my mother In-Law to the dreadful disease. My wife also had her thyroids removed do to cancer two years ago. We had lots of support from the Garrison and other members in the 501st. I'm very thankful that my wife has been clean for the past two years.

Trooping for your dad is a very noble thing. I not only troop because we look good in armor but for my wife and I will Troop for your dad as well.

We are here for you brother.

Will be here for you when ever you need an ear to bend or a shoulder to hold you up. May God's peace be on you right now and with your entire family!

I am glad you finaly found out what kind of cancer he has and what is the cause. i know it doesent make it go away but at least you know what it is and it's not some mystery cancer.

Short Trooper (diana)

Thanx for all the kind words and thoughts.

They help a lot

As TD-5766 already wrote, about looking good in armor..that's a fact..but the underlying message is even more important, that we do this for the battle against terrible diseases or to give sick people the day of their life

And Diana..I am happy too that they could give it a name. Gives you in some kind of strange way peace, that you know what you're up against.

Love you guys for the support

Why does Cancer always hit the good people? Why can't it affect the scum of the Earth? Why is always the good people?! One of my first questions when it comes my turn to see the man upstairs.....

I truly believe this: The good do die young....God takes them home when he sees fit. The rest he waits on to see if they streighten up.

My Wife's Pop passed last Christmas at 69. He was a minister, a respected business man, and the best man I've ever known. Lymphoma.

I know where you're coming from Dutchy and I'm in your corner too.

I truly believe this: The good do die young....God takes them home when he sees fit. The rest he waits on to see if they streighten up.

My Wife's Pop passed last Christmas at 69. He was a minister, a respected business man, and the best man I've ever known. Lymphoma.

I know where you're coming from Dutchy and I'm in your corner too.

Thanx for the kind words here Scootch

Sorry to hear that you have been on that road too..

All the best to you also my man..and let's fight this one and try to get rid of it once and for all..

• 4 weeks later...

Last night, after a hard fight of 6 weeks my dad passed away.

I know it will be hard, but it is the best for him and he will have peace and rest now. Even so important, no more pain...

I will be off the board for a short period of time, but I will be back because I can't live without you guys

All the best and already a great many thanks for all

Justus/ Dutchy

I'm very sorry to hear that dutchy and offer my deepest condolences. I've lost people very close to me in my family recently and can sympathize.

Hang in there and hope to hear from you again soon.