Master Replica's Helmet CE

MHenry

I just finished mine a few days ago. I'm using it for my Sandtrooper costume, couldn't be happier with it

The helmet is a little rough out of the box, so needs a few mods to get it up to standard. On mine I replaced the lens, added screws to the ear caps, heightened the brow, altered the frown, replaced the tube stripes and decals and filled in the front seamline. The photo you posted above is of the 'LE' hero helmet, so it does need a bit more work than what some might anticipate.

Once modified it looks fantastic, especially if your going Sandy (because you can use the dirt to hide up any mistakes you make filling in the seamline and removing the old tube stripes/decals ).

There's a few photos of the mods I done to mine on the bottom of this page: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?s ... 2498&st=60

And here's the finished product, thanks to Scott M for the decals

(click thumbnails for bigger photo!)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

You did a good job on that, DT. Yours looks a lot better than one right out of the box.

Here's an modified copy of my post from FISD:

My first impression: It's incredibly sturdy. I feel like I could probably sit on it and it would support me. The symmetry takes a little getting used to and in a strange way gives it a ROTJ look to me...or is that the weird ears. The ears are the worst part. They really do look odd especially since the rest of the helmet turned out so well. The lining is crap, so that's already out along with the light green lenses. I was impressed with the mic tips. they're decent enough facsimiles of the hovi mix tips and they have semi-circular holes out the back. I'm not sure why they didn't just cut out the entire circle. Brow and neck trim are nice...not entirely accurate, but nice. Oh yeah...almost forgot - the inside of the thing stinks like a chemical factory out of the box.

Mods: I'm going to try my hand at repainting the ears, traps and frown by hand for the real stunt look. The ears are the weirdest part, so hopefully repainting the caps will help the shape a bit. I'm also going to add white flat-head screws to the ears. The frown is a little odd with a surface that slopes down toward the vents so I plan to open the vents up a little more with a file and cover the holes with dog screen. I'm going to open up the holes through the mic tips and possibly install fans there. I plan to paint the interior black and install new foam padding to get my face a little farther from the faceplate. It really pushed me right up against the lenses before I took out MR's packing foam. Let's see, what else? I don't think I'll bother too much with seam filler since I'll be dirtying mine up. The dirt should cover the seam very well. I might try covering the ear seams. I'd also like to raise the brow.

Overall, it's a well-made bucket that's head and shoulders above the FX, but nowhere near the accuracy of TM, TE2, or AP. It's an oddball, but it should be WAY sturdy enough for trooping. It is a little bigger inside than my TM. That may be due to the symmetry as it sort of makes the face more pinched forward.

1. They are actually OK as FISD Elite if they adhere to the updates that the UK Garrison set at http://www.501stukgarrison.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=15988

2. One member already hit Elite status with it.

3. FISD ran a poll to see if should be 501st accepted - it passed with a big majority.

4. I asked in the GML forums if it should be accepted - so far looking good.

I'd say: make the changes as laid out by the UKG and it should be great. It's far more accurate/better looking than an FX at about that price (I heard now even < $100 on the Bay).

Is it MEPD acceptable? Unless the Boss says otherwise, I'd say "yes".

Ok, got mine in the mail...I can see what you'all are talking about in the way of "fix's". I do have to say, for the price, I am quite pleased with it!

I did takeout that last piece of foam on the back of the skull, it does push my face too far forward.

i was able to take some pictures of the MR helmet while JediCon this year...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

it´s definatly a nice upgrade for any standard FX helmet owners but still far from accurate!

nevertheless it´s a nice helmet, exspecially for the almost small price!

i´m really looking forward for more modified MR helmets...

{SMILIES_PATH}/salute.gif

I am an Elitist, I will stick with my TE2. This would be a nice toy for the kids though.....

I do have to say that the TD was done well.

I am a kid!! lol

But yea, I enjoy my TE too but the FX is a hulk and with the mods I'm pretty sure it will look much better. I will post some pictures when I'm done.

Well, with the talent we've got on this board, with a few mods we can make anything look good. That's the fun of it.

Heck, I figure half the work is done, now let our imagination take care of the rest. hehe

If it doesn't work out it will be a nice add on to my buckets anywho.

"Can't ever have enough Stormtrooper stuff."

Hey Dave,

I just bought TWO of them tonight, and the total was $195.18 shipped w/insurance!

I have a TE (signed by Matt himself), and a couple other WELL MADE fan-made sculpts, and for this kind of price the inaccuracies are not so insurmountable to rectify!

If you can, go for it and maybe we can work on them this spring/summer!

It's Redford Films, and it's $5 cheaper than the "Buy It Now" price they have on eBay.

Here's the link where I got mine:

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/redfor ... %20IV%20CE

Got my MR Helmet today. I must say I do like it. Like everyone said, it has that seam on the lower part of the helmet. Any suggestions on what to use to hide it?

Word is that a little white silicon sealant works wonders without the need for paint.

Shweeeet. Thanks Tom, I was thinking the same thing. Off to the TD supermarket (Home Depot).

Here it is next to my old FX. With a few mods it will be good to go.

Posted Image

UPDATE:

The silicone sealer worked great. Now on to the lenses.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to make an attempt at sanding that edge down a bit, thought I'd mask around it and try with some light grit stuff. Maybe caulk it afterward......kinda waiting to open a tube until I finish this bathroom remodel I'm doing...meanwhile I'd like to swap lenses and paint the interior a darker color. Nice work by the way!

I've been working on modifying my MR CE bucket. Here's what I've done so far:

-Darkened lenses (used automotive tint on the inside)

-Replaced tube stripes

-Repainted teardrops and rear trapezoids

-Dirt

I still need to add the screws to the ears and replace the screen in the frown.

Posted Image