Backpack problems! Suiting up and weight issues

Darth-Tuapawa

Just finished up my helmet last night, so I decided to do a test fitting of my upper torso armour this morning. Only a few things to fix armour wise but I seem to be having a few problems with the backpack.

First of all, what is the standard procedure to put the backpack on? I'm attaching it over the top of the chest/back and then attaching my shoulder bells and biceps over the top of the backpack straps. I walked around the garden for about five minutes or so and I had one of the straps slip off my shoulder (which I couldn't reach, meaning I had to partially de-suit to get it back into place). I do have a strap that runs along my chest to help keep the two straps together but was thinking of adding another connecting strap below the back of my neck.

I'm also suffering under the weight of the thing! Mine has been scratch-built so I'm not sure what everyone else's packs are like but I cant imagine myself wearing this for long stretches of time. The straps also dig in to my collar bone. Thinking of sewing some foam pouches over the straps to remedy this.

The straps are a little over 1.5 inches long.

Any helpful tips or ideas would be much appreciated, specifically how everybody get them on (and keep them on!!!). Cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your harness looks good. I use something similar on my Clones.

But, yeah, weight can get to us thin guys no matter how light they are. My current one is really light... probably no more than 3 or 4 lbs. and after an hour or so, it hurts.

And yes - I put on my back and chest, then backpack, then arms.

In my own experience, that's something you don't take into consideration when building it. We think "appearance" first, adding this or that with little consideration of weight. Then you wear it and reality hits you.

In my own experience, that's something you don't take into consideration when building it. We think "appearance" first, adding this or that with little consideration of weight. Then you wear it and reality hits you.

Amen Brother!!!

I did the St. Patty's parade and had my pack on for about 5 hours on Saturday, and it is not light.

I also think the suit up process you are following works best. seems if you run the shoulder bell straps over the pack straps, you should not be popping off.

But hey, I am the new guy over here.

To prevent slippage, you could try attaching the top straps closer toward the center of the pack instead of all the way on the outsides.

You could also try padded straps. I used normal straps at first, but they cut into my armpits. I switched to padded rifle slings.

I'm also thinking of putting a hook on the back of my belt that might hold some of the weight of the pack. I'll hook it to the bottom frame of the pack.

Modern hiking backpacks put all the weight on the padded belt around your waist rather than on your shoulder straps.

I put zip ties on the frame to keep the straps from sliding. Funny enough I put the pack straps over my shoulder bells and haven't really had any problems. ::shrugs::

I agree that no matter how light they'll get heavy after awhile. I know some guys suck it up, but I don't think it's a crime to ditch it for a short while to give yourself a break.

Don't sweat tweaking it a few times - I know I did and so did others. Like your armor, it's hard to get right the first time.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

I just weighed my pack and it's about 8 lbs, is this particularly heavy? Interesting to hear everyone else has some sort of discomfort after wearing the pack, I think I'll have do like Daetrin and take it off from time to time.

I'll try making some padded pieces for comfort and have a play around with the strapping to prevent slipping. Might try elastic for the upper strapping too.

So true

The pack was built with looks and strength in mind (I didn't even consider the comfort factor). Had a bit of a shock when I put it on, it's amazing how easily the weight adds up!

****! mine weighs in at about 15 -20 lbs.

anyway, the way i strap up is as follows.

- put pack onto the square on your backplate

- take strap on top and feed over the backplate and over your shoulder and than under the chest plate. that is where my buckles sit.

- now take the bottom strap and connect to the buckle.

i figure this way it takes the "pinchy-ness" out of the straps off your shoulders and puts it on your armor instead. My armor is completely padded so it doesnt "hurt" but man, it does get to you after a bit.

hope this helps.

Funny enough I put the pack straps over my shoulder bells and haven't really had any problems.

Me too. In fact, I feel like the shoulder bells help distribute the weight a bit better. I also bought a pair of Timbuk3 messenger bag strap pads that just velcro over the straps. I also attach my shoulder ammo pouch to the left pad.

On longer troops, I often start out with the pack but eventually ditch it and go Docking Bay 94. It really makes a difference and i really don't see the point in self-torture for long periods of time. My first troop was a day-long event and I still feel the pinches and the pack strap welts when I think about it. I thought I just needed to stick with it, but I really don't see the point. Now, if it's a couple of hours, I wear the pack...any longer and I sometimes don't even bring it.

I tried 7603's method and ran the straps through the back plate instead of directly over the shoulders, what a difference! Keeps the backpack firmly in place, much better

I've also sewn pads onto the straps which helps quite a bit. Wore the new set-up for half an hour or so with little discomfort, hopefully I wont need to go into "Docking Bay 94" mode too often.

Thanks for the help guys

i've added a few strips of foam under the chest/back plate strapping and anywhere that causes the armour to rub flesh (the first troop as a sandy resulted in blood coming out of various sore points so i matched the foam to the scabs )

i can slip the pack on while kitted up no problem. Because i used the straping that came with the frame it all sits where it should.

three hours is my limit before i need a break. The weight of the pack increases by the minute thereafter