Comander Dargas weathering armor atempt #1, please review!!

Commander_Dargas

ok guys...this is my first weathering and heavy modding attempt.

I have been working this week to repaint the mouth grill, changing the lenses to flat green and modding the abs armor.

I´m still to mod the air intakes in the helmet (the grey trapezoids and cheek bones) that I´ll exchange for fine Grey mesh to allow wind to blow fresh air into the helmet.

thats 6 air intakes there guys! plus the mouth grill. I´ll probably mod the air intakes tomorrow. will post pics on tuesday.

and I´m still into modding the canvas belt. will problably do that next week.

anyway, please let me know what you guys think about the weathering that I did wich is, to my opinion, very subtle as I didn´t wanted a very dirty trooper since the ones in ANH are Not so dirty as some i´ve seen in conventions.

any comments will be grately apreciated since I´m looking forward to get MEPD deployment status as soon as I can get it.

Let me know what to change and if I´m going the wrong way here.

I apreciate it.

thanks!

I´ll start with the helmet:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[/img]

allright!! hahahahaha

the weathring process took me only 4 hours to complete, and that counts the abs modding too.

I filmed a 13 minutes tutorial on how i weathered the armor but it came to a wopping 600 megs heavy vid.

i wanted to upload it to youtube but i have no idea how to make it smaller so everyone can see it.

let me know if any of you guys know how to convert digital camera video to something the you tube system can upload.

On the armor subject:

i´ll take pics tomorow and will upload them at night.

i´l put on the pouldron and the mp40 holsters, also i´ll get the e-11 holster and the e11 itself. into it

I still don´t have the backpack done since i haven´t bought the camelback frame. but at least that´ll give you an idea of it´ll look.

thanks for the comment nico!!

Yes!

thanks for the feedback guys!!

I´l definetely add more dirt to the boots and lower shins. Thanks for that.

I finished the air intake/exhaust vents on the helmet and will post them in later today to see what you think of it.

I received the MP-40 holsters but the buttons are not right so I´ll change them and then post pics.

I couldn´t have my wife to take pics of me fully dressed last saturday so I´ll just wait until I have all "periferals" aproved to mount everything on me and upload pics!

Cheers!

OK guys!

this is the pictures of the air intake/exhaust vents in the helmet.

I took advantage of the fact that sandtroopers use no stripes on the grey trapezoid intake/exhaust areas in the helmet to actually cut them off completely and replace them with gray fine metallic mesh.

that way the helmet will have 6 ventilation areas besides the mouth grill.

I was pretty scared at first, and was definetly horrified when i saw the helmet full of black holes but then when i placed the mesh in place everything became clear and beautiful again!

I think it came up pretty good...what do you guys think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

this is a dark (sorry ofr that) pic of how I placed the mesh variant.

Posted Image

Please let me know!

It is looking much better than one could have feared, and i can imagine it is really nice with all that ventilation. Now you dont have to cut your hair/have your hair cut by fans! =) You really must have a lot of courage to cut open your helmet like that! Good work, and keep the pics coming!

Thanks or the correction my friend!!

Exhaust it is!

Thanks again Nico for the feedback.

More than courage it´s a constant drive to improve what I already have.

The helmet IS very hot to wear here in Costa Rica where the average is 22 centigrades (about 71 farenheit) (please excuse my english here) and not very windy so everything you do to actually improve ventilation is a MUST, even if it´s not screen accurate

keep the feedback coming!

I used a cutter knife.

instead of using it in the usual way i basically moved it thru the plastic in a lever motion, very much like when you use and old fashioned can opener.

I did cut the plastic using the stickers as reference and always cutting on the inside of the black border stripe and leaving a little gray.

once opened up I proceeded to slowly remove the gray that was left leaving just the black border line.

The difference in ventilation is overwhelming.

I´m still to paint the pauldron white since mine came in gray with the armor and I have no idea why!

As I understand it there´s no gray pauldrons right?

anyway, i´ll just need to paint it white and put some dirt in it.

I need to change the buttons on the mp40 holsters and I´m finishing the back pack this weekend too.

I just need to mount everything on the camelback and attach the straps.

Last night I worked for about 4 hours in my DLT-19 made from wood and pvc using the amazing tutorial found here:

http://www.imperial-fleet.com/bbcforum/ ... c.php?t=90

the link to the tutorial that this dude used to build his Awesome DLT-19:

http://empireprops.freeservers.com/mg34rifle.html

and right above his pics of the gun there´s a link to download the patterns to cut the body and stock of the weapon as well as the hole drilling pattern for the two parts of the barrell.

Mine is coming out pretty well and very soon I´ll have it ready for review.

I just need to sand it down, add a few details and paint it.

Will upload pics as soon as I have ´em!!

cheers!

Ok...I sat down last night to actually build the back pack.

this is the final result of it.

It still lacks the camel back, straps a the blue paint but that's minor details.

let me know what you guys think.

Note:

I couldn't find the actual boxes used to do the body of the backpack but I think the ones I used are prettey neat!

there's a first peek at the DLT-19 I'm building. I still need to sand it down, add details and work the cannon and bipod.

Cheers!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

Posted Image

I know this is an old post but I really like this idea. How many TDs have done this to the grey areas on their buckets? I'm thinking it may be something I do... as I'm actually IN high desert climate here in Albuquerque... it gets pretty hot and dry here in the summers.

Also thinking about getting a personal neck air conditioner thing to wear on really hot days... I could even "weather it" to look like it's part of my armor.

• 3 months later...

HI all!!!

just to answer the gentleman here...

I haven´t seen anyone else do this mod.... but myself I´m gettin a new set of armor next week and the helmet possibly this weekend and I´m thinking about doing it again! this time on a MR ce helmet....

I´m still thinking about it. I still have the old field pack and the DLT-19 and the general TD parafernalia (except the pauldron wich I´m doing my own) but I´m still torn between a TD of a heavy trooper.

I would love to have armor just like the one on the trailer of I.M.P.S.