MEPD and BFG's

I wonder how much of that is intent and how much is ignorance. I feel lucky I found the MEPD and got educated. Else I'd have probably done what others do who only know 501st, toss on a pauldron, ammo pouche(s), grab a BGB (or not) and call it a day...

Oh and dude, did you notice in your sig the sandtrooper has the incorrect ab plate? Looks great otherwise...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind the BFG requirement, I think it is a good idea but, if I remember way back when I joined if you had a dewback prod didn't that work as well?? It's been a while since I asked so I don't remeber for sure. I have a fan made lewis gun, but I plan to get a mg42 when funds allow My big pet peeve when it comes to TD's is the drop boxes!! Drop them!! I have seen a few supposed TD's out there and they have them. In my personal opinion you are not a true TD if you still have them, but hey that's just me.

Katt

You may see that (no drop boxes) added. That, along with a couple of other details may become part of the requirements. Democratically, of course. The dewback prod might be considered as well, I hadn't thought of that before. We'll get to that once we have MEPD deployments totally up to date.

Throwing my opinion back out there -

After trooping with both a backpack and BFG several times, and then spending the next 2-3 days in pain, I decided its either one or the other.

I kinda feel like thats how it should be here -

If you have EITHER a backpack -OR- BFG, or both if you're so inclined.

Carrying both is ALOT of weight - it looks great on film, but to do it for hours at a time is ******* the old body.

Just my opinion -

1) In the Alleyway Search scene, there are 4 sandtroopers, all with backpacks, but just carrying E-11's - no BFG's there

2) The Docking Bay 94/Garindan scene, 2 of the 7 troopers are without backpack, but they have BFG's (and one of those sandies doesnt even have a pauldron)

'MEPD Deployed Status' requirements indicate that you need both - I'd like to see this altered (maybe a poll?) to having one or the other (pack/BFG), or both if you like, and for us all to having healthy backs and spines

CHEERS, from the guy with the bad back - LOL

My understanding is that the requirement is to possess both, not necessarily to troop with both.

I'd prefer it to remain the way it is - nothing says you have to troop with it all each time.

My understanding is that the requirement is to possess both, not necessarily to troop with both.

I'd prefer it to remain the way it is - nothing says you have to troop with it all each time.

I concur. The requirement is just that. Not every deployment you need all your weapons or accessories. But everyone is issued one. "Trooper you don't need your BFG today(backpack, pauldron etc) you need your E-11(whatever)"

Bah, I think there is nothing more awesome then a TD trooping in full gear. Yeah the pack wears on the back and the BFG the arms but hey, tis what aspirin and beer is for. mmmm beer.

It is worth the bit of discomfort imo to fill the role of a MEPD deployed trooper.

I agree with TD-8020

There are lighter alternatives to both, so weight should not be an issue. Plus no one is forcing anybody to wear all their gear every day. MEPD deployment requires everyone to possess these items, not necessarily carry them 24/7. I say keep it the way it is, and I am a big proponent of having dirt, ab plate and sniper knee be 501st requirements for TD's

The big reason I even bring it up -

I would like to see the TD numbers increase, and I feel like its a bit intimidating for some of our fellow TK troopers to see all of these requirements, and think to themselves "OMG, I have to get all that stuff??"

-or-

They could be in the same boat as me with a physical condition that doesnt allow them to tote all of that gear around.

Maybe we could have it stated in the requirements that you merely just need to possess these items, and "not necessarily have to troop with them every time" - exactly what you guys are saying.

I just want to see this group grow and thrive, and for no one to feel like they cant be part of it because of a requirement.

I would like to see the TD numbers increase, and I feel like its a bit intimidating for some of our fellow TK troopers to see all of these requirements, and think to themselves "OMG, I have to get all that stuff??"

I had the opposite reaction. To me the higher the standards the more acquiring the designation becomes, and the more I want to join. When something is easy to achieve, it has less worth.

Thinking back to my days in college ROTC. Both had declining numbers. The Army reduced it's requirements, the Navy increased them. Guess which one increased membership while the other decreased...yup the Army numbers went south in a hurry.

My $.02...

WRT to trooping, I figure I'll wear what I want. If a clean TK puts on a pauldron and no one calls foul, then no one will notice me w/o pack or BFG. Besides, I can at least cite film reference and say I'm trying to play that character...

Cuantity doesn´t mean cuallity...

Our standars must be defended, because those are wich make us differents from the regulars TKs

If we start argueing abut carring these but not that, what latter will it be the argueing about?

In my opinion our standars are clear, is up to everibody if they want to join us or not, I don´t belive in degress, is a 100% or 0%

Maybe I am being a "little radical" about it, but thats whay rules are for

I'm in a small sandtrooper group (a patrol) that has different standards including not requiring a field pack and bfg. Everyone in the group does have them or is working on it but we don't actually require them to join. It certainly wasn't done to make it easier than the MEPD or make us closer to TKs, it's based purely on the film evidence. That's not the MEPD's way of looking at it and I agree (this thread changed my mind) - I think the detachment should require all TDs to own a BFG and Field pack, if you don't want to do that then you can't join the MEPD. You can still be a perfect film accurate Sandtrooper and not qualify for the MEPD, but those are the high standards leadership has decided on.

More than 50% of our little gang has a non FX stunt helmet and that is a potential requirement that makes a huge difference in how the Sandtrooper looks, I'd be all for that here.

I'm not a member of the 501 yet so I can't know the weight of trooping all day in gear, but I'm more intimidated with the price of the armor than the toys that go with it.

Til I have enough saved up to buy the armor (or tax refund) I have been putting my BFG, pack, and E11 together. The E-11 is finished, the BFG is underway, and I have all the parts for the backpack. If price is the issue start cheap and upgrade.

Lastly when I troop for the most part it will be with all of the toys. Thats what looks the coolest.

Also I do know about walking around all day with the weight. I have been wearing full leather armor and carring a sword at Ren Fair for 5 yrs.

Bonded Hawk

I heard you there friend, I use to wear 16ga steel Roman armor at events, so the gear for a TD is a cake walk in comparison!! LOL I made my own pack and it turned out to be pretty light. But after about 4hrs it does seem to gain more weight. Ok this is a total girl thing but, it's just like wearing sexy high heels, they might hurt the feet but boy, the guys sure like them so it is worth a little bit of pain! But I do fully understand those with health issues,(lord knows I have more then I need ) so I agree too that you have to have it, not always troop with it all. It's really a personal call when it comes to that. OK I'll go and be quite now .

IRON MAIDEN!! EXCELLENT!!!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too, you fire your musket but I'll run you through, so when your waiting for the next attack, you better stand theres no turning back.... (opening lyrics from Iron Maiden's - "The Trooper")

ok, I'm dating myself with this tune from my High School "Daze", LOL

Bah, I think there is nothing more awesome then a TD trooping in full gear. Yeah the pack wears on the back and the BFG the arms but hey, tis what aspirin and beer is for. mmmm beer.

It is worth the bit of discomfort imo to fill the role of a MEPD deployed trooper.

Hey Jim,

Haven't heard from you in awhile. Great to see back on the board!

I can certainly relate to "back pain"! I experience PAIN everyday from a herniated disk condition I received while I was in the military.

HOWEVER, I gots to agree with my sandy brother CHRIS G.!!! There IS NOTHING more intimidating than a sandtrooper wearing his/her backpack and carrying a BFG in hand. Nothing compares with that image bar none!

Chris, the first aspirin and beer are on me amigo!

Guns

It's pretty much all been said so far, but I figured I'd weigh in on this subject yet again. You need 501st TD status to begin your trek to the MEPD. Quote from the charter;

"TD- Trooper, Desert Trooper / Sand Trooper

To be posted as a Desert Trooper/Sandtrooper on 501st.com, a member must have: A Pauldron, Field Pack, and 1 other item from the following list:

1 dirty armor

2 modified armor (modified knee plate, abdomen, flat lenses, etc.)

3 dewback prod/MG34/MG15/lewis gun or other similarly styled BFG

4 ammo pouches" MEPD makes all of this necessary. Until the 501 does away with a backpack as a hard & fast requirement, it won't disappear from our requirements. With that said, IMO there is nothing wrong with trooping in any configuration you want. At C3, I went full gear one day, and no pack another day. On Halloween, I did the docking bay 94 pouches on belt, no pack, no pauldron (this was, admittedly, mostly for convenience, as I rode in a car in armor that night). We're here to set the bar. Join the best, but remember to have fun, and troop how you please.