Snap system issues

steve12201

OK,

I used JB Quick Weld to glue the snaps to small strips of ABS and then glued the strips to my armor (TD).

Apparently the glue does not like several things:

ABS Plastic - (It is stuck like a rock to the metal snaps)

Heat (spending one morning in a box in the car - it s been 110+ daily here for over a month)

Flex (suiting up and walking across the living room looks like the beginning of a a sex scene where parts of clothing are left lying on the floor every few feet leading to the bedroom) .....and by the way, this scenario does NOT put me in the mood!

I also have the following glues on hand:

Locktite Super Glue - Have not tried on ABS

E6000 - Works well on ABS so far....flexible but a S L O W dryer to final cure.

PVC Cement - Works great on plastic to plastic stuff but the

snaps fall right off as soon as you flex the plastic.

Any suggestions that will put me back in the game for a hospital visit on Friday? I really, REALLY wanted this to be my first troop.

I might try using rivets to attach the metal snap to the ABS and then glue it to the armor but I need to get washers. On a test with the rivets, they just pull right through the plastic when you are applying them.

Am I missing something???? Help!

Steve12201

You won't go wrong if you follow the link above.

Drill the plastic tabs and attach the male snaps using either a hammer and anvil or with pliers. ONLY use glue at each end of the plastic tabs and not near the snaps or it will melt through your armour. Don't ask my why but it does. E6000 is fantastic adhesive even though it is slow drying, it is most definately worth the wait. Never use super glue, it's garbage

PLUMBER'S GOOP!!!!

We go through TUBES of this stuff here in Texas.

Pros: - It dries clear

- It doesn't melt the plastic to build a bond so it can be taken apart without scarring your armor.

- It's waterproof, plumbers use this stuff on ABS pipes so you know it works great for ABS.

Con: - I have only one complaint about it and that you REALLY need proper ventilation when using this stuff or you will trip so bad, that you may end up having a conversation with your ceiling fan or if you were to operate a video game after catching wind of this stuff like for example, playing HALO, you may see your opponents streaking vapor trails behind them as you play Multiplayer Capture the Flag . . .

Not that any of this has happend to me before

Try it out, you can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's in the Adhesive section called Amazing Goop in the Purple Tube.

- John

Might be a silly question given what I've seen here, but has anyone used hot glue under the plastic strips and reinforced around the edges? I just started doing this last week so I need to know if I should switch gears.

The plastic is HIPS.

Might be a silly question given what I've seen here, but has anyone used hot glue under the plastic strips and reinforced around the edges? I just started doing this last week so I need to know if I should switch gears.

The plastic is HIPS.

Rob,

I've used CA glue exclusively on both my TE TD and TK. No problems so far.

T

Use ABS glue on ABS not PVC glue....its not the same. Also, use the link above for the correct way to approach this. Industrial strength velcro works great too. If it starts to come up, I just CA glue it and never have a problem after that.

OK,

So if your ABS strips are now firmly glued to your armor and THEN the snaps start to pop off, what would work to glue metal snaps to ABS strips? I can't pry the strips off to use rivets in this aplication. Would CA glue work?

The troop starts 27 hours from now and I still need to test fit some stuff.

Steve

It takes a while to set up HARD. The drying times are addressed at the link below. Working time of about 10-15 minutes.

Yes, you can get it in the GIANT caulking tubes, but it also comes in a tube the size of toothpaste at Lowe's/Home Depot in or near the paint department with the other glues.

You can find a bunch of answers about it here:

http://www.liquidnails.com/faq.do

I'll reiterate the shout outs for Amazing Goop. It comes in a lot of varieties, ie - plumbers, household, etc, but they're all pretty much the same with very slight variations in initial thickness and UV resistance.

With any liquid adhesives you're going to be more successful if you rough up the surfaces a bit before you glue so the adhesives have some tooth to adhere to. Just my two cents.

Cool,

It seems I now own about every glue made

I just returned back from my very first troop at a local hospital and am proud to say that the uniform stayed together with no equipment malfunctions! The E-6000 and the Goop are very similar and work incredibly well as long as you do not rush anything and allow them to cure properly....I think that is an important key to success.

What an awesome time I had with the Dune Sea Garrison today. Even though it was 108 degrees, it was still a great time handing out Star Wars toys to the sick and injured kids.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this far I will be seeking deployment as soon as I finish my MG-34.

Steve