Bad News For Those Searching For Parts On ebay

A new message has been posted on ebay regarding the sale of gun parts.

Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin

Vice President, Trust & Safety eBay.com

Although most of us who look for parts are not interested in buying parts required for building a functional weapon, seeing how we are just building props, one has to worry just what parts ebay now considers to be required to firing a gun. Bolts, firing pins, recoil springs, and parts like that are definitely things that shouldn't be there, but what other parts will they be restricting?

I personally have already had a grip I had won suddenly made unavailable to me, which I do not consider and essential part for firing. It looked like a pistol however, and so ebay pulled the auction, and that was months ago, long before this anouncement.

So, is this the end of using ebay to build up prop weapons, or what?

When some of my Garrison came over to the States for C4, two of us were dragged out of the line at immigration and heavily scrutinized. i was one of them and after some serious intimidation i was let back in the line. The other guy was led away to a room for further questioning.

We didnt see him again until we got home ten days later.

It transpires that he had been flagged up on entry as being on the terrorist list because he bought a part for an E-11/sterling from a guy on Ebay who was wanted by the F.B.I. or some such organisation because he was know to re-activate weapons and sold firing pins and trigger mechanisms etc. our lad had apparently been arrested in England, questioned about firearms and the selling of bla blah and released without charge however the U.S.A. immigration dept decided he was a threat to national security and put him on a plane back home with no hope of ever returning to the States for at least ten years.

Now our guy is just a model maker StarWars nut. He was with a group of people all carrying stormtrooper costumes with replica firearms he was in no way a threat to national security but this little purchase he made has buggered his chances of ever going Stateside so i think this policy is coming in a little too late, for many more people than just my Garrison member i'm sure.

When some of my Garrison came over to the States for C4, two of us were dragged out of the line at immigration and heavily scrutinized. i was one of them and after some serious intimidation i was let back in the line. The other guy was led away to a room for further questioning.

We didnt see him again until we got home ten days later.

It transpires that he had been flagged up on entry as being on the terrorist list because he bought a part for an E-11/sterling from a guy on Ebay who was wanted by the F.B.I. or some such organisation because he was know to re-activate weapons and sold firing pins and trigger mechanisms etc. our lad had apparently been arrested in England, questioned about firearms and the selling of bla blah and released without charge however the U.S.A. immigration dept decided he was a threat to national security and put him on a plane back home with no hope of ever returning to the States for at least ten years.

Now our guy is just a model maker StarWars nut. He was with a group of people all carrying stormtrooper costumes with replica firearms he was in no way a threat to national security but this little purchase he made has buggered his chances of ever going Stateside so i think this policy is coming in a little too late, for many more people than just my Garrison member i'm sure.

What the f***? Sorry to hear about your garrison mate. It totally sucks that he wasn't able to attend C4. The US is seriously retarded sometimes. Our security measures look great on paper, but it seems that in reality, they totally tend to drop the ball more than half the time. I honestly think that part of the problem is that most of the people who work for them are totally incompetent.

It's really unfortunate that a few "bad eggs" have been allowed to spoil things for the rest of us. Seems like this sort of thing is happening more and more frequently.

It's equally unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it either.

It's really unfortunate that a few "bad eggs" have been allowed to spoil things for the rest of us. Seems like this sort of thing is happening more and more frequently.

It's equally unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it either.

ain't it the truth

he was told in no uncertain terms that he had no rights whatsoever and was'nt allowed to contact anyone.

he wasn't too bitter about it, lesson learned and all that but it does make you think about how an innocent act can be traced so effectively and dealt with so harshly. all because of an innocent ebay purchase.

to be honest i always get stopped at immigration cos i just look like trouble so i'm used to it but when you're removed from a line because you're a specific target it's scary.

• 2 years later...

i hate to resurrect a dead topic, but it seems to me that 501st'ers as a group might want to officially swing towards blaster scratchbuilding from PVC and wood, and detailing in fiberglass, before 501st membership includes proxy membership of various countries 'most wanted terrorist' lists.<_<

ide also recommend that troopers with de-milled weapons promptly retire them in favor of having the item serve as templates for blaster kits and measurement refs, perhaps conglomerated into some kind of 501st vault. :unsure:

i hate to resurrect a dead topic, but it seems to me that 501st'ers as a group might want to officially swing towards blaster scratchbuilding from PVC and wood, and detailing in fiberglass, before 501st membership includes proxy membership of various countries 'most wanted terrorist' lists.<_<

ide also recommend that troopers with de-milled weapons promptly retire them in favor of having the item serve as templates for blaster kits and measurement refs, perhaps conglomerated into some kind of 501st vault. :unsure:

Totally disagree. As long as the 2nd ammendment lives, I have the right to own a gun in the US. Gotta remember to head over to the police station and get my concealed weapons permit though. Honestly the US is just as gun happy as it's ever been, and I don't see it changing in my lifetime.

I think people need to do some analysis before declaring proclamations like the one you did.