Backpack Designs

troopertk2427

Ok heres my big question..

It seems that there are relatively similar, however not all definite concrete designs and assembly in the backpacks i have seen built. In other words you cant put 2 packs side by side and say they are both the same for the most part. so..

Is the backpack needed for a sandy to conform to some strict standard, or can relatively any pack design work for a sandy. Even some variations in the movie packs were seen, so i cant see one "Uberpack" being used as the "must use" model.

The reason im asking is this.. I have 5 different design layouts for a pack using the same set of "add-ons". I have decided on one, and tho similar to a sandy pack, its not neccessarilly "canon". Yes, there are "Canon" pieces.. but also some "non-canon" pieces exist on my pack in construction.

Do i have to build a second more canon pack to be a sandy? I know i have asked similar questions before, but i figured we can revisit this topic here in the new and improved forum.

Thanks for any help!

Erik

TK2427

Mountain

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the new pack nearly complete. Should be complete this weekend. I will post photos of my modular pack.. yes modular. You can take the top and bottom segments off to replace with a different ones. The main pack i have done is a Sat/Com pack. I really like it so far.

Will post photos when its completed.

Erik

TK2427

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm on the same wavelength, I'm a short TD, so I'm wearin a heavily modified Don Post CA helmet, my TD version, is the expanded edition enlisted TD with the drop boxes, and same ab plate as a TK nut without buttons ,The short black pauldron, the pack on the extended edition TD's varies quite a bit from the originals, although theirs varied quite a bit. I have a home-made sniper knee, which I think looks pretty dang good, my pack is custom, and so's my paint job. With all due respect to those who would rant about cannon, go home and watch your movies, the Td's vary so much it's insane. There are soo many variants, that it's hard to be truly anal. As far as modifying an ab-plate? Not all of em had it, and to make it a requirement? if you do, then fine, but it's sillyness in my opinion. I've seen some pics where the TD's pauldrons were just massive and looked ridiculous. So for the most part, I think theres quite a bit of flexibility.[/img]

This discussion brings up a good point, what the heck happened to the screen used sandtrooper packs? Are they still around somewhere? Tim, does Sansweet have one in his ubber collection?

Brak's "Davin Felth" site documents the 2 main versions /styles from ANH, but also admits that there are some inconsistancies (ie. differences) in the on screen packs.

We all can obviously study and replicate the Toy's packs, and the pack #2 from the DV site... but i highly doubt we can standardize on them, maybe though agree on some common attributes?

Good discussion idea,

-Bamatrooper

TD-152

although, I've seen some custom packs that looked pretty **** kewl....hmm...gotta love the continuous strife for screen accuracy, and I'm all for it, but there has to be that fine line where some of us do this for a good time and only care about going so far with it. I like looking good, and getting complements on my gear. heck! who doesnt, but I wish we'd stay away from locking folks out because a few details that no one else other than us uber-geeks would notice are wrong. 99% of the public doesnt know the difference. I understand, it's our goal to strive for the closest we can get, but addmitedly, theres alot of room to play when it comes to what's cannon.

Unless one exists already, maybe its time we hammer out some sort of MEPD charter that explicitly lays out the guidlines for what has to be canon and what doesn't.

Do the backpacks have to be completely screen accurate? Do the BFG's have to be exactly what was used in the movies? All this and more in a hopefully upcoming charter. I'd be happy to help with one if needed.

That charter sounds like a great idea. I've also wondered what is considered canon as far as the backpacks go. Especially since there were so many different versions in the film. I'd sure like to here back from Joe and everyone else on this. Personally I think backpack design should be up to the individual trooper.

hmm.."theme" I don't think anyone is having problems, unless some1 build a bright neon pink pack. in the meantime, why get anal? if anything we all love checking out eachothers gear (bfg's and packs) since they're all different and custom. if we all wear the same kit, it gets a little stagnant. just my 2 cents..

i think you got it,

Just not a neon pink pack,

As long as it looks good i think i it is fine.

Again, waiting for Mussos thoughts.

The BFG's i think are another story they need to look like one of the ones used.

There is a list of those guns under what it takes on the mepd offical site.

To be real, lets not confuse what we do in the 501st using the terms "canon" and "screen accurate/replica" they are two different animals.

Replicas/Screen Accurate is exacting, with all the production flaws and odds and ends, replicating the production used props in material and construction methods...

"Canon" is more simply a correct representation.. of the above, not a perfect copy, that would be a replica.

Sure, some folks do both, cause if you chase replicas, then you will most certainly be ":canon" but making a "canon" prop/costume, doesn't mean that it is a replica/screen accurate piece...

with that in mind, I don't think we can require a replica backpack ( mostly because of the multiple variations on screen ) IMHO.. Now BFG's, well i guess it depends on how far we want to go on that one...

does your custom BFG's look "canon" like a german MG or lewis gun? is that within tolerances we are talking about? We sure can't have anything goes or we'd have troopes with Alien pulse rifles out there!!!

Maybe there is a common thread not to beat up ourselves about...

-good discussion, lets here more....

-Bamatrooper

TD-152

there we go! see my bfg is fairly close but even in my avatar, you can see some minor but distinct personal modifications that I found aesthetically pleasing. why? bevause I do this for fun, I'm not super anal about cannon, and I wanted my gear to be different.

My pack is definitely NOT screen accurate, but i think its pretty cool, and adds some variety to the whole idea. I went with the SAT/COM idea.. figure there has to be some sandie that holds communication with the rest of the empire.. lol. I have ripped my original pack apart to make some special modifications, so pics are coming slowly.. but they will get here.

• 2 weeks later...