theGreatSot

Alright, I obviously did it at some point, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the image that I want to use as my avatar to be smaller than 6KB. I've been using Photoshop and changing the image size so that the longest dimension is 100 pixels and I have it set to 100 pixels per inch. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the image smaller than 64KB. Is anyone able to help or can we change the cap for the avatars and make it so that larger images can be uploaded?

6KB seems unreasonable... is that correct, can someone confirm?

Make sure it's 100 x 100 ppi @ 72ppi.

Do a 'Save For web...' and drop the jpg compression down to 60% or so, try to get a balance of file size and desired quality.

You might also try switching from RGB color to 256 / index color (less if the image doesn't have a lot of colors, like a logo). This will get rid of a lot of the detailed color and shading, but on a 100x100 pixel image, there isn't going to normally be a lot viewable anyway.

Do a 'Save For web...' and drop the jpg compression down to 60% or so, try to get a balance of file size and desired quality.

Mike for some reason it won't let me save for web. My only options are "save as" and "save". The "save for web" is grayed out and unavailable for this file...

Mike for some reason it won't let me save for web. My only options are "save as" and "save". The "save for web" is grayed out and unavailable for this file...

That is very interesting. It's probably your source file type... does it contain unique channels or how about the Mode, it might be Multi-channel. make sure it's at least RGB.

That is very interesting. It's probably your source file type... does it contain unique channels or how about the Mode, it might be Multi-channel. make sure it's at least RGB.

It is in RGB. I'll keep playing with it and see what I can do.

6144 Bytes to be exact. That is the limit on uploaded avatars, should I increase it?

Maybe not, it's up to you. Mine is also linked and it's about 15k.