dying MP40 pouches

Greetings

I just wanted to share this with all of you. I bought this spray dye off Ebay and it seems to be working great. I am thinking three cans maybe four, that may be more then you need but better to have too much then too little. It is messy but it is a great way to do it. Here is the link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WD1V

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For best results, clean the pouches before you dye them. I think some of the rubbing off problem is caused by people dying pouches that still have polish (or polish residue) on them. I cleaned mine with a mild bleach/water solution and I haven't had any trouble with rubbing off. I even used plain old black kiwi leather dye. Nothing special.

When I got mine (the green leather ones from Marstar in Canada), I went to the local leatherworks and bought a can of base black dye. They dyed up REAL nice, and they even "looked weathered". The ONLY problem is that the green will show through if they get wet. I went through with some of that pumis stone and it roughed up the leather enough that now that doesnt even happen.

Hope that helps a bit!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a can of black Meltonian Nu-Life Color Spray. It's made for vinyl, plastic and leather.

I used it on a pauldron that I had bought which was white. After spraying one coat over the white part I couldn't tell where the original black and the sprayed part began and ended. It's been over a year and the stuff is still glossy and looks great. Very durable.

I bought it here: http://www.villageshoeservice.com/ . Just click the "Expert Shoe Re-Crafting" link and then the "Shoe and Foot Care Products link."

• 4 months later...

I took some advice and orderd the leather deglosser, USMC Black leather Dye, and some Spray Sheen from www.tandyleather.com. Not too expensive, really easy to do, and the results are stunning!

The MP-40 mag pouches I got were sort of mis-matches. One being almost new looking, and the other, rather oilsoaked. With the above supplies, they now look like a matched set, and are a beauty!

Jim

I got the same deal as Jim, my 3 1/2-pocket pouch was broke in nicely while the 3-pocket pouch was like new outta the crate still textured and GREEN. I used Kiwi leather dye on the 3 1/2-pocket pouch, it looks FABULOUS, but I'm still debating on putting in wooden blocks and taking a hammer to the "pebble grain" texture and pound some if it out on the 3-pocket pouch.

I just searched online & found a Tandy Leather Store that's pretty local to me, so I'll get some of that "Fiebings Deglazer 4 oz. #2105-01" and save the $8 S&H since a bottle of the stuff only cost $4.99! Thanks for that tip Jim!

I got the same deal as Jim, my 3 1/2-pocket pouch was broke in nicely while the 3-pocket pouch was like new outta the crate still textured and GREEN. I used Kiwi leather dye on the 3 1/2-pocket pouch, it looks FABULOUS, but I'm still debating on putting in wooden blocks and taking a hammer to the "pebble grain" texture and pound some if it out on the 3-pocket pouch.

I just searched online & found a Tandy Leather Store that's pretty local to me, so I'll get some of that "Fiebings Deglazer 4 oz. #2105-01" and save the $8 S&H since a bottle of the stuff only cost $4.99! Thanks for that tip Jim!

The deglosser can be used on the oilsoaked one, and the leather dye will take to that leather as good as the 'new' one does. That deglosser is a real gem. I'll get some pics posted of my pouches up this weekend.

I used 1x2 pine cut to length and inserted them into the pouches, and then painted them black. Really makes the pouches look good, and does not add much weight. Now all I need to do if figure out out to wear them!

Heath, is trying to make some clones of the pouches. He has taken a tracing of the 4 mag pouch, and is working on a pattern. I'll keep you updated on his progress.

Jim

EDIT: here are the pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

1x2 pine it is, thanks! Your 3 1/2-pouch turned out like mine did, very nice! I'm still thinking about hammering out some of the raised pebble grain on that 3-pocket pouch though.

The 1x2 pine are slightly bigger than a real ammo pouch, but so are these pouches, AND the pine fits better in these oversized slots anyways. The "3-and-a-half pouch" looks really good, and unless you have the two pouches side by side, they look the same. Only a detailed inspection reveals the differneces in the 'pebble grain'. They are different, but now they are both black, hey, they look great together.

anyone know how to 'wear' these things?