UNK Clone Armor Project

TD-1536

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arm.

This is the rev.2 biceps and forearm. I've already re-sculpted both, you saw the biceps above. I've also re-sculpted the shoulder bell to be much more accurate than before, pictures to come. I also plan to re-sculpt the Commander Cody shoulder bell with more accuracy.

Posted Image

Awesome work I have an old set of MG armor and never liked how the thigh look. I really can't wait to see this done. Might make me think twice about making a clone again. They do look very skinny, what size of a person can wear this without shimming?

I'm a skinny guy, about 6', 160lbs.

While I have plenty of reference shots, the only way to make this ideal for me, and for screen accuracy, is to make all the measurements identical to mine. I've also used some of the measurements from my existing sets of armor, such as the leg pieces.

This will not be a "one size fits all" kit like the MG stuff. And, because all the contours and details are identical to the CG files, shimming them up would essentially ruin the accuracy. These parts don't have large, flat planes that take well to shimming, everything is highly contoured and rounded.

I know that the OSCS and Sci-fire guys are working on Clone armor, too, derived from the CAD files. They promise to make armor in various sizes, and can potentially do that. I, on the other hand, started this project back in 2005 and just want to see it finished if for nothing else, just to have suits of armor that I made. Depending on where they go with their kit sales will probably determine what I ultimately do with regards to making stuff available for sale.

It's probably easier to say about MG that one size fits most. And as we all know, accuracy isn't always the best barometer of sales, nor does accuracy - especially with clone armor that never needed to fit a real human body - necessarily correlate with durability, comfort, ease of assembly, or low cost.

FX and (until this year) MG are arguably the least accurate of their types, yet they are worn by the majority of the troopers for each type.

The bottom line is this: regardless of whether you sell one suit or hundreds, wearing a suit of armor that you sculpted yourself and that looks fantastic is in itself an incredible achievement.

It's probably easier to say about MG that one size fits most. And as we all know, accuracy isn't always the best barometer of sales, nor does accuracy - especially with clone armor that never needed to fit a real human body - necessarily correlate with durability, comfort, ease of assembly, or low cost.

FX and (until this year) MG are arguably the least accurate of their types, yet they are worn by the majority of the troopers for each type.

The bottom line is this: regardless of whether you sell one suit or hundreds, wearing a suit of armor that you sculpted yourself and that looks fantastic is in itself an incredible achievement.

Well said. Mike, keep us updated as you continue with this project. Great work!

****, that looks fantastic, mike!

the clone troopers aren´t on my list of favorite star wars characters but these pics makes me want a suit one day...

While I have plenty of reference shots, the only way to make this ideal for me, and for screen accuracy, is to make all the measurements identical to mine. I've also used some of the measurements from my existing sets of armor, such as the leg pieces.

Sorry to have caused such a stir. I was just asking a simple size question. I completely understand why the size looks small. If I was sculpting a suit I would make it fit me too. I think the thing about MG armor is he was a bigger guy making armor for himself too at first, and it worked out that it would fit most.

It is awesome work and it should look fantastic.

Sorry to have caused such a stir. I was just asking a simple size question. I completely understand why the size looks small. If I was sculpting a suit I would make it fit me too. I think the thing about MG armor is he was a bigger guy making armor for himself too at first, and it worked out that it would fit most.

It is awesome work and it should look fantastic.

Oh, no worries. I just wanted to state my position just as a FYI for everyone. Reason being, when I first started on this project, my intent was to make it "one size fits all". I actually have some larger forearms, elbows and biceps done. But, I realized after getting more into it, that the larger parts looked ridiculous on me.